Savage wins Hickory Groundhog shoot

tyler,

With all do respect,you would be the last person I would seek out for wind reading,rifles and shooting!:D

Regardless, you should be smart enough to realize two people with different abilities shooting separate rifles will not give you a good standard for the accuracy of the RIFLE.

These Remington guys are really angry people anymore...lol.Just take a factory Remington down to Hickory,Tyler and shut these Savage guys up...lol.

Steve Kenney

I'm probably not near a good enough shooter to do worth a damn. My shooting sticks to the varmint fields and on my farm. I've shot some great groups, though. Shooting the Hickory shoot isn't just 100 yard groups....its reading the wind, having a well tuned, load, and a good rifle.

But as I said from the beginning, there are good and bad examples of each. I've had the best luck with Remington rifles and like the action better. I have two factory rifles that shoot extremely well. The other two have custom barrels so I don't count 'em.

Let me ask you guys this, when a BR shooter wins a 600 yard shoot, do all you Savage guys say its because Larry Joe Gunsmith built his rifle and that his rifles are the best or do you say the shooter did a good job of tuning a load, reading the wind, and shooting a group?

All the equipment in the world doesn't make the SHOOTER the best shooter. Being the best shooter does.

I have a Savage Model 10, 22-250. Other than a fancy exhibition grade Claro Walnut Monte Carlo stock, and a Custom polishing and bluing, it is box stock. The reason I decided to fancy up my throw-it-onto-the-hood-for-a-rest 'chuck gun is because I can cover a 200 yard group with a quarter...out of the box. Granted, I reload my own rounds, have a wonderful scope, and considerable experience (Military and Police). The point being, out of the box. I really don't care WHAT the gun looks like from the Factory...as long as it hits exactly where its aimed. By the way, when I bought it it cost $395 new...

This spring I bought a Savage 12 heavy barrel .223from Cabelas. I switched out the stock from the synthetic to a Savage laminate. It shot very well, but I wondered if it could better. I sent it to Kim at Chase mountain, and had the action bedded, and recrowned. Kim may have done some other stuff I can't recall. Anyhow, he sent it back with a target showing a .123 group at 100yds. I shot a .149 with it. I've never shot a rifle competition before, but I'm getting interested. My investment in this gun was ridiculously cheap. Cabelas had a $100 coupon, and I had $225 in Cabelas points. So my price for the gun was about $250. The laminate target stock cost $175 from Jim Griggs, and the Chase mountain work was less than $200.
Quite a deal for a real shooter.
Bob

savage

apparently the savages shoot real good. they cost 900. same as a vssf. they aren't as attractive as a model 70 super grade. neither is a vssf. i don't know what to say about the "team " shooting the same rifle . apparently it is a accepted practice in order to win. i never saw it metioned in PS magazine as part of the winner's techniques. interesting.

My heavy barrelled Mod 12 in .223 can be had for about $500. It has the 26" brl. and comes with a synthetic stock.
Bob

1 the savage has come along way.

2 they do tend to shoot well, and are user friendly as far as changing barrels.

3 As far as the remmys or any other firearm, you have good ones and you have bad ones. Called Manufacturing, Not everything is perfect.

4 If its within the rules, aint cheatin.

5 And I here by bestow on VG the Great S... Stiring oar award, when ya aint stirring the big S... pot It can be used to paddle your canoe. You are the master at it.

LMAO

I've been gone from this forum for a long time and one of the reasons I quit reading and posting here was the Varmint Guy issue or should I say the Savage issue. I am back and one of the best things I have seen yet is someone finally shut up the VG.

For the record I have set up and loaded for over 20 Savage rifles in the last 5 years all but one of the Savages was out of the box accurate, meaning .5MOA or less. Does that mean they are all great NO but the average Savage at least to me is an amazing product for the money and with the added attraction of being able to switch barrels, boltheads and calibers "at home"
they are sure a lot of fun to own.

One last thought to Varmint Guy. You have been CALLED OUT. Man up and take your whippin.

PS for the record during that time I also set up and loaded for a friends VLS and very easily made it shoot .20 groups with no modifications whatever. He took the rifle back to college and outshot several guys at his local range who were shooting CUSTOM rifles including one with a Nesika action tht he had $2500 invested in. Does this mean all Rems shoot like that, NO but this one sure did. I have absolutely NOTHING against Rems I just do not own any.

bump

bump in time for the Hickory shoot! Maybe VarmintGuy will be there, I know I will. Guess what I shoot.... And I will be the only shooter on my team. I aim to win also...
Joe

Savages don't have to be ugly!!!

With a bit of TLC, they can actually come out not half-bad looking!

Attachments

• Savage 257WBYEmail.jpg
    Savage 257WBYEmail.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 377
Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished building a 7mm Remington Magnum beanfield Savage. Here are the last two groups at 100 yards with Nosler Ballistic Tips after load development last week. It's getting more "beautiful" all the time.
100_1244a.JPG
[/IMG]
300%20Win%20a.JPG
[/IMG]

beanfield savage

whelen man what load does it like? the whitetails there are in trouble likes like

I never read this thread before, some great reading here! ;)

We've all known the Mr. Varmint type, wonderful to see him get put firmly in place. Pretty funny to see him accuse other people of having large chips on their shoulder.

That load is with a 120 Nosler Ballistic tip at a little over 3500fps.. I've used that same load in another rifle for the past few years on several deer and have found it to work well. The 120 actually has heavier walls than the 140 or 150 and holds together well. Zeroed at 250 it's only a little more than 2 inches down at 300 yards and never higher than 2 inches until it gets there. It's a point and shoot proposition until you get beyond 325. With a mind like mine it's better not to have to think about elevation when hunting.

It's hit or miss with Savage barrels. had a 25-06 I worked ammo for, shot hole on hole with several bullets. As factory rifles go, I've seen none shoot better.

Had a heavy 12 .308 that I had to rebarrel. Tried everything but rechambering. Barrel was junk.... Finally put a Krieger on it without the nut, and it now shoots tiny groups.

The Savage actions are fine.

Ben

It's hit or miss with Savage barrels. had a 25-06 I worked ammo for, shot hole on hole with several bullets. As factory rifles go, I've seen none shoot better.

Had a heavy 12 .308 that I had to rebarrel. Tried everything but rechambering. Barrel was junk.... Finally put a Krieger on it without the nut, and it now shoots tiny groups.

The Savage actions are fine.

Ben

>>>Had a heavy 12 .308 that I had to rebarrel. Tried everything but rechambering. Barrel was junk.... Finally put a Krieger on it without the nut, and it now shoots tiny groups.<<<

Ditto ....

Have had real good luck with Savage .22 barrels.... Not Kriegers but damn good mass produced tubes.... Mostly .223's

cale

Mine started out as a 300 Winchester Magnum. I never could get it to shoot any tighter than three quarter MOA. You could feel a really rough spot with a patch about halfway down the bore for two or three inches. I finally replaced it with the 7mm. Remington Mag tube from Shilen. Chrome moly & hand lapped seems to be doing the trick and that's with the barrel nut. Boyd's stock and Rifle Basix Sav 2 trigger finished it out. The only thing left of the original rifle is the action, recoil lug, and barrel nut.

Back