Savage wins Hickory Groundhog shoot

Savage

Good on you Jason,
I wish you continued success and hope to hear of future wins---GOOD LUCK!!

Rich

JHunt: I am most certainly NOT a savage shooter but I hope you win the upcoming event you are interested in!
And congratulations on your wins with your savages to date!
Keep up the good work with your "ugly guns".
I guess its now, savage against the world?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hickory

Chino69: I have been perusing the 6mm BR site but could find no mention of savage winning at the Hickory.
Could you give me directions to that article as my searches on that site turned up nothing.

VarmintGuy,
Click on Daily Bulletin menu on right, go all the way down to end of page to 'older posts'. Go to April 9th, and you'll see it.

chino69

Congrats

The gun that won was a long range precsion varmiter .223. I have a night force 12-42 on it. I have had the oppertunity to shoot and try out 16 of these new rifles in .223 22-250 6.5-284 .308 in several different twist rate. All of these guns are the most accurate production I have ever shot.I also won 1st in factory class and 1st in limited open at varmit hunters jamboree with LRPV IN 22-250. The limited open consisted of around 100 custom guns.There is a group of men that I shoot with we are planning to carry some of these guns to the IBS 600 nationals at oak ridge TN. I know your thinking bull sh-t. We don't plan on winning it but we just see how these little ugly guns will do. We could use a little support from you savage shooters. I promise I want get last. South Team Savage Shooter Jason Hunt

Jason,
Congratulations. I've had a Savage single shot put together by Fred Moreo about six years ago and am aware of their potential. I wish you success in any future matches and please continue to post with your results.
Chino69

Chino69: Thank you for the directions - it was right where you directed.
I originally missed it due to not seeing the TINY reference to "older posts" at the end of the newer articles section where I originally stopped reading.
Thanks again.
By the way, there in the article you directed me to was a picture of the savage Rifle in 223 Remington that my Gunsmith friend bought a while back - it is correctly designated "Model 12-LRPV".
I think I referrred to it (incorrectly) as a "RBLP" in an above posting.
Anyway I went to the savage online site and saw that the manufacturers suggested retail price for that savage Model 12-LRPV is... hold on to your hats... $1,167.00!!!
I guess that "puts a dent in" some folks contention that savage Rifles should be referred to as "affordable", "cheaper than other factory Rifles" or "the Rifle for the everyday Varminter"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yikes! It appears there may have been some "skullduggery" used in the attempt to promote the savage line of Rifles at this Hickory Shoot!
It appears that 3 shooterrs got together and used ONE single Rifle (the "winning" savage) their intent apparently was to use the first two turns with the Rifle (the "winning" savage!) to get the Rifle dialed in (tuned in!) to the ranges conditions!
Then the third shooter scored as well as he did allegedly because of the efforts of the first two shooters of said Rifle (the "winning" savage!)!
I will include here a posting in this regard from another shooting site:

"Read a bit more about. Sounds like they had a plan/system and practiced it. I'm sure others did too as it is within the rules. Three guys shoot the same rifle making sighting corrections giving the third guy the advantage of the previous shooters round".
End quote.

I have been to lots of different types of Rifle Competitions and have as yet to witness this type of behavior and collaboration!
It seems the fair way to compete is for each competitor to have their own Rifle and succeed or fail upon the merits of their own singular efforts!
This "so called win" - at the Hickory is getting lots of attention AND now it seems, scrutiny!
I don't know - I wasn't there, but if in fact the win was a result of three shooters "collaboration" then I would consider that a hollow and ill gotten gain!
AND, poor sportsmanship AT BEST!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG... this Savage winning this comp is killing you, isn't it? :D

Maybe you'll wake up in the morning and it'll all have been a bad dream... :rolleyes::p

Poor sportsman indeed

Varmintguy,

You sounded genuine in your introduction into this thread. I should have known better. I have had being reading on this site for almost two year and I don't post that much. You can get a LRPV for under $900. You can actually pick it one you for $850 or less if you know were to look. The last 700 VSSF I got I paid over $900 for it. In terms of accuracy, it doesn't compare to what I have seen from Savages. I am new to the Savage game. I have a 6 700s in my safe and have owned more than a dozen. They are great rifles and an excellent platform to make a more accurate rifle with premium aftermarket parts (barrels, triggers, and stocks). However, after getting my butt kicked at the range by boys with those ugly tupperware stock Savage FP10s I started paying attention to them. Sure, I have a couple of blue-printed 700s with Hart barrels that will really shot and are smooth as glass, but I have well over $1300 in each of them and it will cost me another $500 plus to rebarrel with a good barrel. I only own one Savage. It is actually a Stevens 200 I just got for the action. I put a Shilen barrel on it, a SSS trigger, and a Boyd's stock and started shooting 0.3-0.4s aggs at 100yds. Sure, I have shot plenty of 0.1s with it, but as I have become interested in BR as a sport, I know the agg is the only thing that speaks for accuracy of a rifle. Forget the single 3 shot group. It was less than an $700 investment by the time I sold off the factory parts. I now have 5 barrels for it. I swap them at will in 15 minutes. Even my cheapest barrel, a Shaw 22-250, will agg in the 0.4s with the right load.

You constantly trash talk Savages. Beauty follows function. Ugly...., who cares what it looks like. An AR platform is the ugliest rifle I have ever seen or shot in IMHO, but it has proven history.

My understanding was that the guys shot 3 identical rifles, not the same rifle. I also wasn't there. And if they did, and it was not against any rules, congrats to them for having the sense to learn from each other.

I am going to buy another rifle in a few weeks. I can't decide which Savage to buy. My Remmys have became safe queens. I would put a $650 Savage VLP up against a Rem700 straight out of the box any day.

The competition between gun makers is what is leading to better guns for all of us. Go Savage. When Remington steps make up to the plate with some new innovation they will start getting my money again. You have got to believe Remingtons new trigger was in response to the AccuTrigger (which I am not personally a huge fan of).

Give it a break.......please. Dang, this reply became as long as some of your lines of smoke....

Tiny

Tiny, if you paid that, you got raped.

One can get an SPS Varmint for around $500 and add the H-S take-off for about $200.

I believe my VLS (which I bedded and will shoot better than an H-S stocked gun) was about $600.

Tiny, if you paid that, you got raped.

One can get an SPS Varmint for around $500 and add the H-S take-off for about $200.

While a SPS with add on H-S stock may be functionally identical to the 700 VSSF, it is still not a stainless action or barrel and not fluted. Those extras aren't free. I shopped hard to find one for $900 (actually $940 with tax). This was the first and only stainless rifle I own. Not sure the stainless is worth the extra $200 bucks. Had to try one.

tiny

I recall speaking to a Remington Q/C supervisor regarding my NIB 700 LVSF shooting 3-4 inch groups after the "examined" it. He said that was acceptable accuracy for a "hunting rifle" and they had no accuracy guarantee

I recommended he should update his resume with the strong showing of Savage.

W

Last edited by a moderator:
Varmit Guy, I would like to state what we did was within the rules. We learned this technique by watching others shoot this match. We did nothing that they weren't doing. They shot some 6br's four and five times back to back. You may not want to give this little ugly gun no creedit. I can tell by your comments that you are the type person that I would love to smoke with a savage. Jason Hunt

match strategy

Varmint Guy,

Jason is absolutely correct in his appraisal of match strategy for the Hickory Ground hog match. Think of it as a team sport. We do. Plenty of folks have done great with a solo effort as well. This year was the twenty-eighth annual match and it continues to attract hundreds of shooters. That fact speaks volumes about how much fun we have with the match format that Larry Willis devised. If you can you should join us and give it a try. It is the most fun of any match I shoot.

Greg

Jason

Congrats.on your great effort at Hickory....I have shot in it 4 times and it is fun and very difficult....what load/bullet/powder did you find to work best for you.....Roger

Congrats Jason,nice shooting.If Im not mistaken you also took the stock and limited open classes in last years VHA Jamboree with your Savage?

While a SPS with add on H-S stock may be functionally identical to the 700 VSSF, it is still not a stainless action or barrel and not fluted. Those extras aren't free. I shopped hard to find one for $900 (actually $940 with tax). This was the first and only stainless rifle I own. Not sure the stainless is worth the extra $200 bucks. Had to try one.

tiny

$940 still seems high. A friend of mine has one in .220 Swift I believe cost him about $800-850 NIB two years ago. The Savage I haven't seen for much less than $875 locally.

I tend to think if I'm really wanting stainless on a Varmint rifle, I'll just buy an SPS model and put a stainless Shilen Select on it for about $300 total cost extra and tends to shoot circles around most any factory barrel rig.

custom barrels

$940 still seems high. A friend of mine has one in .220 Swift I believe cost him about $800-850 NIB two years ago. The Savage I haven't seen for much less than $875 locally.

I tend to think if I'm really wanting stainless on a Varmint rifle, I'll just buy an SPS model and put a stainless Shilen Select on it for about $300 total cost extra and tends to shoot circles around most any factory barrel rig.

Keep in mind that tax runs adds $80 bucks cost. If he got the new 700 VSSF II fir $800-850 is was a great deal based on my searching. I totally agreed with you on custom barrels. I never had shoot a custom barrel until 5 years. Know I am trying to burn out my factory barrel as an excuse to add a custom. You must be to put barrels on your self. I wish I had that skill set. I SS blank cost $250-325 and my smith charges me $150-175 to thread the barrel and chamber to my action. My last custom on a Remmy was an even $500 to put a Krieger barrel on it. That is the beauty of the Savage I can get a Select-Match Shilen pre-fit for $269 and screw it in myself. Maybe when I learn to run a lathe and have one, I'll start paying more addition to my Remmys.

Gene Sears in OKC sells the LRPV for under $850 and stocks all models.

luck, tiny

tiny

I think I will stand by my assessment of the "skullduggery" and poor sportsmanship involved in trying to "enhance" the outcome of the savage "win" at the Hickory.
And my opinion is worth exactly what it costs each of the conspirators!
I would no more be a part of that kind of poor sportsmanship than rob a charity box!
To each their own - I guess!
Each of the co-conspirators in that type "win" can truly be "proud"!
Sheesh!
As for the cost of the savage Model 12 in question my friend, I found out paid $1,000.00 cash to get his from a local dealer - still NOT an 'everyday" type Rifle purchase!

Dan Newberry: savages "win" (if YOU can call it that!) is not killing me at all! I am personally interested in factory/hybrid Rifles shooting as well as possible regardless of make, model or brand.

Jhunt: I have shot along side many savage Rifles both at the range and while Hunting - they are ugly, clunky and unattractive - of that you can not deny. And, as of now they are clearly overpriced!
They do often shoot well and of that I have NEVER denied here or anywhere else.
You rationalize the savage "win" anyway you want - it still would not interest a true sportsman to conspire in such a way. No matter what brand of firearm they chose to travel to a competition with!

Tiny68: Yes I do constantly trash talk savage Rifles and NOTHING you have posted has changed my opinion of them one iota!
The are cheap looking, cheap feeling, unattractive and poorly styled, UGLY Rifles.
And, as has become apparent and predictable this thread has become another "trash Remington" thread!
Sheesh!
Well I have a vault room full of fine shooting, good looking, well balanced and carefully crafted factory Rifles made by Remington. As well as more made by Winchester, Sako, Tikka, Weatherby, Ruger, Browning, Marlin and several other manufacturers!
I am "genuine" there Tiny68, when I say, once savage makes an attractive, non-clunky well designed Rifle that shoots real well - I will be in line to buy one!
I have no interest in brand discrimination what so ever.
I will state again for the record I hope the savage arms company lives long and prospers.
But as of now I see NOTHING in their lineup to motivate $1,000.00 leaving my pocket and going into theirs!
You may be interested in the average accuracy on one of the last Remington bolt action Rifles I purchased. This is an all factory stock XR-100 in caliber 223 Remington. Originally this Rifle had a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm variable scope on it - it now has a Leupold 6.5x20x40mm scope on it. With this Rifle using bullets I Varmint Hunt with (Berger 52 gr. MEF's) I fired the smallest group (5 shots at 100 yards) I have ever managed with an all factory (non-40X Remington) Rifle I have ever made! And I have been making them for more than 45 years now.
That group measured .121"!
Reading from my loading log I can quickly figure out the average grouping for this Rifle to date. Including ALL load test groups (5 shots at 100 yards) and all sight-in verifications this all stock Rifle averages .378"!
savage has no "corner" on the factory accuracy market!
How about the last Sako Rifle I purchased? This bolt action Rifle is in 6mm PPC caliber and the last two groups (5 shots at 100 yards) I fired with it for sight-in verification measured .226" and .212"! This Rifle shoots Nosler 70 gr. Ballistic Tips to an accuracy level that REALLY impresses me! This Rifle wears a Leupold 24x scope. The AVERAGE group size of ALL groups (5 shots at 100 yards) made with this Rifle comes to .392"!
How about the factory Rifles from the folks at Ruger?
I own a Ruger 77 V/T in caliber 204 Ruger that is all stock and wears a 6x24 Sightron variable scope. The last two sight in verification groups I made with this Rifle measured .370" and .530"! These groups were made with Varmint Hunting type bullets.
Another Ruger all factory stock Rifle I recently purchased was a Ruger #1-V in caliber 204 Ruger. I have just begun load development with this Rifle and it wears a relatively low power Nikon Monarch scope in 5.5x16.5 power. Again using Varmint type bullets this Rifles average of ALL load development groups (5 shots at 100 yards) comes to .568"!
One more recently purchased Remington Rifles performance synopsis for your consideration - Remington 700 VLS in caliber 204 Ruger with Nikon 6,5x20 variable scope. The average group (5 shots at 100 yards) size made with this Rifle INCLUDING ALL load development and sight in verifications comes to .388"!
AND, Tiny68, each of the above mentioned Rifles are extremely handsome and well styled and balanced Rifles!
This so called win is not the first "pushing the rules" incident I have witnessed with savage type folks!
I saw with my own eyes at a Varmint Hunters Jamboree where some savage type folks had entered a "factory stock" savage Rifle in the stock class at the Jamboree Shootout and did fairly well with their Rifle in caliber 222 Remington Magnum!
What you say - savage never made a factory Rifle in caliber 222 Remington Magnum!!!
And indeed you would be correct - it seems the gunsmith who specializes in savage work and aftermarket equipment owned the Rifle and indeed had to admit to "re-chambering" the factory barrel with a custom reamer to the 222 Remington Magnum caliber!
AND the ammunition the owners minion was competing with in the factory class had been neck turned! Sound like a tight necked, custom chambered "all factory" pushin the rules savage Rifle to you Tiny68?
Hmmmm...... does that sound like the spirit of fair play or does it sound like "win at any cost" conspiracy?
I think the latter!
Rationalize the "win at any cost" mentality all you care to - you are not convincing me the actions of some of these type folks is fair play and sportsmanlike!
Long live savage (genuinely!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I don't do my own barrels, my smith charges about $60-65 to install one on a Remington, though. $100 if he has to rent the reamer...but he keeps all the common ones. Last time I had him do one, I supplied a reamer and he did two for me for $100. Blanks run $240 from Bruno.

But one thing to consider...you don't have to pay taxes when you buy your rifle out of state off the net :D

Looking good

Yes they look good but what about two xr100 .223 that cost me $810.00 with tax each with bad chambers that Remington will not stand behind. This is what i got from Remington on the one i returined to them. (Problems) Reported "SEE CUSTOMERS LETTER" Found BARREL TO RECEIVER MISALIGNMET Technician's Comments Replacing bbl assy at n/c Bbl assy are not available RETURN AS RECEIVED. Called them back and sad it will cost me $500.00 to have one of them rebarreled how about you pay $200. and i will pay rest. Never even gave me as much as a go to H. They might look good but they should at lest shoot better then a 2" groop.

Back