Savage wins Hickory Groundhog shoot

Mine started out as a 300 Winchester Magnum. I never could get it to shoot any tighter than three quarter MOA. You could feel a really rough spot with a patch about halfway down the bore for two or three inches. I finally replaced it with the 7mm. Remington Mag tube from Shilen. Chrome moly & hand lapped seems to be doing the trick and that's with the barrel nut. Boyd's stock and Rifle Basix Sav 2 trigger finished it out. The only thing left of the original rifle is the action, recoil lug, and barrel nut.

Was the Shilen prechambered?

What twist?

Have you tried the 180 VLD? I have a 7 STW that really shoots them well.

Ben

Last edited:
I've not wrung the barrel out with target bullets yet. It's main purpose was to be for stand hunting so that's what I did first. The barrel was prechambered with a 0.315 neck and 1/9 twist. I thought about giving the 180 VLDs a try but wondered whether they might be on the edge for stabilization. I've got some 175 SMKs and 162 A-Maxs that I'm going to have a go with first. It weighs 11lb. 13oz. scope and all and is mild mannered with the 120s.

I've been gone from this forum for a long time and one of the reasons I quit reading and posting here was the Varmint Guy issue or should I say the Savage issue. I am back and one of the best things I have seen yet is someone finally shut up the VG.

+1

...the pig does enjoy wrestling in the mud. But not listening, logic, or a challenge. ;)

I just got my Savage Model 16 with a new Kriger 6.5-284 barrel. shooting this past weekend. Looks like it will be a tight shooter.

make a Savage shoot?

I read a lot of the above posts til I got a bit bleary eyed. But the question Ive got is, while I know Savages can really shoot( got a MLII thatll scare you at 200 yds until the scope fails or yer teeth rattle too much), I also know they have made a few(?) duds. My 12 BVSS has had a nearly complete rebuild, which it needed but its still a 7/8" rifle--so much for "factory class". Im one of the people who cant buy the whole rack and shoot and try all of em. Whats the secret? Why do people call em ugly?--rogn

Savages are good rifles. I've a whole boatload of Remingtons and like them. Also 4 Savages.....I like them too and really like seeing them compete successfully. Some good design goes into them. Savage doesn't look like a Remington and that doesn't make them ugly, it just means they don't look like a Remington. Neither does a Win. or Ruger or Sako.

Ol' Mr. Varmint---, nothing but a pompous self important bag of wind. With your constant "prove it" BS. Always with the same song.....maybe a little different music but the same lyrics. Nobody gives half a squat whether you buy something, like something, or how you think it looks. And nobody has to prove anything to you. Get over yourself, you ain't that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back