Your slickest action?

Speaking of Mausers...... the smoothest action I recall ever handling was a Mauser, but it wasn't a simple turnbolt '98 style it had a sliding shroud or cover in the rear that rode in machined rails/grooves.

The one I handled was similar to the Model 66 (mighta' BEEN a 66) although I'm not sure it had the interchangeable barrel feature and it closed tightly in the rear to look more like a Sako than a typical Mauser.

Anyway, this was a very smooth setup. As smooth as the butterknife Steyr-Mannlicher. (Model 'M'?) Not necessarily the SLICKEST, but very smooth. The Steyr's have the pertiest spiral-forged barrels.

The Nordviggian Krags are loose as a goose but slicker'n owl spit. I don't "want" a Krag but I'd sure like a custom action that felt like one. :)

Slick & Smooth AND built for Accuracy....... ahhhh, I wish.

al

Al

If memory serves me correctly, it was a Brevik (sp?) mauser action that Pete started with. Something about a limited number produced. He built it for my father, so I cant run to the rack and look :) Left a hell of an impression if you cant tell

Ethan

Butch

From African outfitter ( you got me curios )

"Should you be contemplating a rifle chambered for one of the really big thumpers like the .505 Gibbs or .460 Weatherby, things get complicated. These calibres require actions that are longer than the standard-length actions made by most manufacturers, and the traditional choice was always the Magnum Mauser action. This was Rigby's choice for their famed pre-war .416 rifles and George Gibbs used them for his .505. Production was forcibly halted as a result of the Mauser factory in Oberndorf being destroyed by French occupation forces during 1947 – the shooting world has been so much poorer since then. A French gunsmith by the name of Polonsky brought temporary relief in 1955 when he introduced the Brevex Magnum action. This action was huge and well finished and was used by many gun-makers (among them Rigby's) for building large-bore rifles. By the late 1960's, however, the Brevex action also was no more. Both the Magnum Mauser and the Brevex are today prohibitively expensive, extremely rare and enormously prized collector's items. If you are lucky enough to own or find one, you have a basis second to none for a big-bore magazine rifle."

Ethan

Ethan,
I'm just pulling your leg. I have one big bore [458 Lott] on a CZ550 receiver and building another now on a 1917 Enfield. If I found a Brevex, I would attempt to purchase it.
Butch

Butch

Chuckleing, I ll be walking funny with one leg longer than the other.:D

BTW nice rifles, allways nice to run into someone else who likes the BIG bores.

Ethan

Butch
450 ackley improved. thats new to me. Thoughts,observastions, comparisons?

Thout it was sacrilege for a TEXAN to use anything smaller than .470 or .500 nitro on jack rabbits:D

Ethan

My Barnard P and S actions are much slicker than my Panda, never had the barnards get sticky, always slide nice and easy.

My Anschutz 1422/"54" action

I have other 54 actions that are very nice but my 1422 feels like the bolt is riding on ball bearings.

Hall Actions

For a BR action/bolt my slickest is my Hall S, small amount of 3-1 oil on a clean bolt is priceless.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Back