Your slickest action?

How come - - -

Joe, your right, every time I open the bolt on a custom action I expect it to feel like a Krag. with all the equipment they have these days I would like to have one that felt that smooth.:)

Joe Salt

We don't see more of them Krags on the line? I see cords of em in gun shops for sale.

Pete, If I grease up my BAT enough it almost feels like a Krag. I know there are a lot of them in the gun shops but there just smoooth nothing else I need. Just SMOOOOTH.:)

Joe Salt

I dont know what a Krag is. I looked them up on Gun Broker and they look kinda complicated? Let me put that differently. They definitely dont look like the smoothest rifle action there is! LOL!! I dont doubt they are, they just dont look like it. I saw a few for 1500 bucks and a few for 300 bucks. Whats the difference, and are these actions pretty accurate? I have never seen one, and i am now kinda interested! Lee

Lee,
This is a couple of my Krags. They shoot the 30-40 rimmed cartridge. They are an old war horse and not a BR rifle. They are a blast to shoot.
DSC02517.jpg

The upper one or the cleanest one is for sale for $450+shipping. They are very smooth. The smoothest BR receiver that I have had was a Stiller Diamondback drop port. It is being shipped out tomorrow to a lucky person in Albemarle, NC.
Butch

I must try one

Pete, If I grease up my BAT enough it almost feels like a Krag. I know there are a lot of them in the gun shops but there just smoooth nothing else I need. Just SMOOOOTH.:)

Joe Salt

I have never opened the bolt on one of them. I have flipped the magazine door open and closed on a few whilst handeling them because it is so odd I guess.

I probably should not have made the comment about not seeing any of them "On the Line". No offence meant. Some things seem humorous until they appear in writing :( .

It seems funny to me but the Krag is the slickest actions I haver ever owned, they must be the weakest actions I have ever owned. Yep the slickest action also seem to be the least desirable? Of course I don't know of vary many actions other than the Krag that have been case hardened?

Pete Wass
I've owned my shares of Krag rifles and they seem smooth until you get your hands on a Mannlicher Schoenauer.In my humble opinion the Krag is a distant second to the Mannlicher.
Waterboy aka Lynn

I have a CMP Remington 40XB 22lr with million miles, still shoots .1's at 50yards. The action is so slick and smooth it will gobble up you guys 'for-nurs rifles!

I laid it on the bench the other day fumbling with a box of ammo, looked over and the bolt just fell opened and the 40x reloaded itself!! If it would have still been in the rest it would have shot an "x"! Is that smooth enough??

Lets see one of them "Zeg Heils" do that, lol!:D:D Jack C

Jack,
You may be referring to other rifles and not the 30-40 Krag. They were built in the USA. I believe the design was Danish. Other calibers were produced in Europe, but not Germany.
Butch

I once got a look at a Krag in 6.5 x 55. It had been confiscated by the Brits during the Boer Wars in South Africa (end of the 19th Century and first years of the 20th), then stored in Kenya for 70 something years, then in Scotland for another 20 something. It had woodworm in the wood, and the metal was poor too.

The smoothest operating bolt actions which I've actually fired were Lee actions.

what are these roller bearings i am hearing about on bat actions? Something to do with the sear i guess?? Thanks Lee

Smoothest action, Cycles in crud? Go look up Pete Grisel. NE oregon I hear these days. Have him put together a Mauser for you. Carried one of his rifles in Africa, .416 Rigby. Bad day for a Cape Buffalo. Cycles like a dream, even in the afor mentioned rock pit:D Oh, and if Pete builds a rifle, it WILL shoot as good as the cartridge is capable of. He just wont let it go out the door if it doesnt.

I used to enjoy watching a friend with a commercial Mannlicher spoonhandle point the rifle down & see the bolt slip forward & close by itself.

...admittedly, mounting a scope was the pitz.

Butch
Thanks on that. Had not heard much about Pete in a few years. Its a shame he is retired. Have to honestly say, his rifles are the best Ive handled (and some of the most beautiful). But on the other note, glad he gets to enjoy the good years.

Ethan

Back