What caliber for 600/1000 yard benchrest?

338lm

What caliber is currently yielding the best accuracy and winning the most matches at 600 and 1000 yards today?
What caliber do you recommend a person to shoot in 600/1000 yard competition?

If you are going to use the gun at both 600 & 1000 yards I would consider the 6 dasher

What caliber is currently yielding the best accuracy and winning the most matches at 600 and 1000 yards today?
What caliber do you recommend a person to shoot in 600/1000 yard competition?
600 yard and 1000 yard are 2 different games.at 600 alot of guys are using 6mm's,6 dasher,6br,6brx,exc.these cals hold records at 600 and win alot.in my opion these are not 1000 calibers unless you shoot were there is not much wind.when the chips are down and the wind is blowing these cals do not usally win at a1000 unless driven by a very good shooter.at a 1000 i would go with 300wsm or a 7rsaum.

what about 6 x 47 lapua ? i am having a new rifle built and was leaning toward the 6 x 47L..have plenty of time as the gunsmith can't start the project till the end of Aug...use 600 & 1000 yds..I have a 6mm br & a .243 which both shoot well..looking for something different ,

If it is possible I would like to shoot both 600 and 1000 with one caliber. I was wondering if .243 would still be competitive at 1000 in the wind but it sounds like the 6mm bullets in general are too light and do not have enough B.C. As suggested above will the 6.5mm bullets get the job done in the wind at 1000 yards in a caliber like 6.5x47 Lapua? Or am I going to have to go to a 7mm bullet at 1000 yards.

1) I am trying to avoid having to have 2 different calibers for 600 and 1000 (of course I know having 2 different calibers would yield the best results).
2) I am trying to avoid having to use a 7mm caliber especially for distances under 1000 yards.
3) If a 6.5mm bullet is a good choice for both distances I would like to avoid a case needing a long action (be nice to have as efficient of a cartridge as possible).

I know that I am asking for too much without having to give something up trying to run as efficient of a caliber as I can for these 2 distances. Is there something that comes close, such as the 6.5x47 Lapua?

If it is possible I would like to shoot both 600 and 1000 with one caliber. I was wondering if .243 would still be competitive at 1000 in the wind but it sounds like the 6mm bullets in general are too light and do not have enough B.C. As suggested above will the 6.5mm bullets get the job done in the wind at 1000 yards in a caliber like 6.5x47 Lapua? Or am I going to have to go to a 7mm bullet at 1000 yards.

1) I am trying to avoid having to have 2 different calibers for 600 and 1000 (of course I know having 2 different calibers would yield the best results).
2) I am trying to avoid having to use a 7mm caliber especially for distances under 1000 yards.
3) If a 6.5mm bullet is a good choice for both distances I would like to avoid a case needing a long action (be nice to have as efficient of a cartridge as possible).

I know that I am asking for too much without having to give something up trying to run as efficient of a caliber as I can for these 2 distances. Is there something that comes close, such as the 6.5x47 Lapua?

now with a disclaimer (I've never shot any kind 600 yard+ competetion), and if one would ask me what caliber I'd shoose from, I would first think 6.5 something or another. My first thought would be a 6.5 /.257AI or a .243 with a 6mm Rem. neck (HLS?). At 600 yards a 6XC can be made to work very well, and the 6mm / 250AI will work even better with a 1:8 twist barrel. Also what about something like a 6.5 Vias or even a 6mm Vias? At 1000 yards, I like the old .308 Norma Mag a lot
gary

if your one gun is a 17 pounder, make it a 6mm, br, br-dx, brx, dasher....set youself up with a dual port, or drop port. you will have to hold an extra scoring ring on a let off, so what, learn it. if you start to lean 6mm, make use of 6mmbr.com, tons of great info. most of all, have fun with it.
tom

i need to add....if b.c. is weighted heavy in your decision, 300wsm or 300 wsm or 300wsm

Last edited:
I have been told by my long range friends that the dasher wins quite often at 1000 yards?? If i was to ever build a 1000 yard gun it would be the 6.5x284 shehane or the 7mmx284 shehane. For 600 yards the dasher brand 6br are dam hard to beat. I am reading and hearing more and more about guys shooting very well at 600 with a 6.5x47L? The way i understand the 600 yard game is that you need to be fast getting your shots off so you can stay in the condition. the little 6's have little recoil and less recovery time thus allowing the shooter to get the next shot off faster. The more recoil you introduce to yourself the slower the recovery. So its not all just about the Bullets BC. In mathematical terms bigger should be better, but in real life that isnt necessary so at 600 yards. I see and read a lot about the 7mm stuff starting to dominate the 1000 yard game as well as f-class. there are some good 7mm bullets now with good BC and some good chamberings that are getting the 7mm bullets velocity close or at 3000FPS. that seems to be a good combination for 1000 yards. Please keep in mind i am not a 1000 yard shooter, but i do read alot about it and i have several friends that do shoot the 1000 yard game so take all of what i have said for what it is worth. I think i am pretty close though. Like said above its hard to have the perfect rifle for both games, if there was such a critter my vote would have to be dasher! Lee

skeet,
1000 br and f class are totally different animals, and yes it would make sense that 7's would have the edge in f class. i have ZERO experience shooting either f class or 600 br, but the dasher works great at 1000 br, for the exact reasons you gave for the sucsess at 600. i like 6's and 30's because they tune easier, so one just has to decide at witch point b.c. outweighs speed. BUT accuracy should be the number one thing on the list, then go from there. skeet, no need for question marks, yes the dasher wins at 1000 yards. one 17 pound dasher with a good barrel, and a good lot of vld's, will do incredible things, no doubt there.
tom

Richard Schatz must have a really good rabbits foot.

James
nope just a mountain on one side of the benchs and some 50foot pine trees down the other side,just like a big tunnel .they all shoot 6 dashers and 100's but that don't mean yer doing it in other parts of the country.in montana richard is king.in pa they would be saying who??at 600 dashers a it...there fun to shoot,cheap to shoot,and shoot great at 600 all the time.what you realy have to do when pick a cal to shoot in compition is go to a few matchs were you are going to shoot the most and see whats winning.if you shoot in montana build a dasher.if your set on a 6 for both for 600 and a 1000 my pick would be 6/47. good luck and have fun whatever cal you pick,thats whats most important.

what exactly was mark using to win the world open last year? what exactly was billy copelin using to win the nbrsa nats at SACTREMENTO last year? richard is from north dakota, and shoots here maybe once a year, he does most of his ass kicking over there in the wind. i believe he won the nbrsa nats in BYERS in 08, correct me if im wrong. the last person to tell me how good we had it in montana, put 7 on later that day and dq'd, but at least he came and tried.
tom

The 6 Dasher(or 6BRX) has set more records at 600 and 1000 yards than any other round. For IBS, it's the only round to shoot, IMO. It's deadly accurate, light recoil not upsetting you bags, and efficent to load and shot. Also, a quick look at Quickloads shows this: a Berger 105VLD running at 3050fps(easy for the Dasher) has 34.9" of wind drift at 1000 yards in a 5mph wind. A Berger 180VLD running at 2850(running a straight 284 - hard) has 29.7" of drift in the same wind. 5" of differences between the two...Is it that big of a difference??? Shooting F-Class, maybe...Shooting IBS, not really as you are shooting for group or score, as you can't win both from the same target..

BTW, a note on the Dasher....I shot a Dasher to 16th overall at the 09 F-Class nationals..There were alot of big cal's under me when it was all over, and Butner winds are tough. I sent hunderds of dollars, lots of time switching over to the 284 Shehane, then too the straight 284...The Shehane give me hell with vertical...Finished 15th at this years F-Class nationals shooting the 284 Shehane....I wonder how I'd finished if I'd been shooting my Dasher that never has vertical problems? It's all what your comfortable shooting, but mainly, about have 100% confidence in what you are shooting:) I'm back to running my Dasher now, and will be doing so until I have to screw the 7mm back on for the F-Class team shoots and tryouts...

Good luck..

Last edited:
Fellas, Is it safe to say that 7mm is king on the f-class course from 600-1000??? I have always liked the dasher but i have been thinking real hard about the 7mm stuff for next year. I will shoot my dasher this year, and after this season i will be able to make a solid choice on whats next to come. I really wish we had some f-class. I may have to try and find the time and money to travel a bit. I really want to try that game. When i first started playing with rifles, i shot everything from the prone position. there is just something about it that appeals to me? Lots of good info here fellas!!! Lee

The 6 Dasher(or 6BRX) has set more records at 600 and 1000 yards than any other round. For IBS, it's the only round to shoot, IMO. It's deadly accurate, light recoil not upsetting you bags, and efficent to load and shot. Also, a quick look at Quickloads shows this: a Berger 105VLD running at 3050fps(easy for the Dasher) has 34.9" of wind drift at 1000 yards in a 5mph wind. A Berger 180VLD running at 2850(running a straight 284 - hard) has 29.7" of drift in the same wind. 5" of differences between the two...Is it that big of a difference??? Shooting F-Class, maybe...Shooting IBS, not really as you are shooting for group or score, as you can't win both from the same target..

BTW, a note on the Dasher....I shot a Dasher to 16th overall at the 09 F-Class nationals..There were alot of big cal's under me when it was all over, and Butner winds are tough. I sent hunderds of dollars, lots of time switching over to the 284 Shehane, then too the straight 284...The Shehane give me hell with vertical...Finished 15th at this years F-Class nationals shooting the 284 Shehane....I wonder how I'd finished if I'd been shooting my Dasher that never has vertical problems? It's all what your comfortable shooting, but mainly, about have 100% confidence in what you are shooting:) I'm back to running my Dasher now, and will be doing so until I have to screw the 7mm back on for the F-Class team shoots and tryouts...

Good luck..

how big of a job is it to form the Dasher case? Let alone an improved one? I shoot a 6mm/250AI, and case forming is about as easy as it gets. You simply neck up 22-250 brass, and then size the necks and load them to fireform the cases. I get over 3100fps with Hornaday 105 gr. AMAX's using H1000 powder. Don't take this as a slam, cause I'm just an interested bystander.
gary

Fireforming Dasher cases is no big deal. Size up the neck with a .257 mandel, then resize aboiut 1/2 neck back down to 6mm to give a crush fit when closing bolt, seat bullet, and shoot. Firefroming rounds have always proved to be just avbout as accurate as formed rounds.

Again, the Dasher holds are the records. You can't argue success...I'm not sure about your barrel life. The Dasher will give you a competetive 2200-2500 rounds...I know..I've shoot out almost 3 barrrels now....I would think that the 6/250 is quite a barrel burner, like the .243...

in fairness, the 6x47 has'nt been out long enough yet, and doesnt have the following. i "hear" the accuracy comes in at 3050+, even though it CAN push 3200? i havent worked with one, whats yours like al?

tom

Back