What caliber for 600/1000 yard benchrest?

Jackie,
I think the 6.5 in any 3000fps configuration will outshoot most in the wind. Bergers and JLK`s will be your magic bullet in the 140 or 142gr.
That being said, you will not give up anything shooting a 6 Dasher, or 6x47L. These are competeative with high bc bullets, low recoil, and bag disruption, burning less powder in a much more efficient cartridge and longer barrel life. Whatever you choose, please keep us informed of your progress.
Jeff Lewis

308 Palma cases are finally in-country, in-house and IN HAND!!!

:)

yeahh baybieeeeeeee, the 'make anything' case to die for I reckon...... we'll soon see how they hold up.

al

I've been following this quietly. I just want to know what you are going to do to the Palma case first!

I've been following this quietly. I just want to know what you are going to do to the Palma case first!

My first project is to make some cases for my old long-necked .308-.200 and establish a baseline....... it's got a history with Win/Lapua/Norma/Rem cases, I know what it'll do.

I've got a really good Krieger barrel for my mule...........

al

Limbic
You can also make 6Dasher or 6Dasher LongNeck brass by running the new cases into a Skip Otto die.
Waterboy

6.5's

This is one great thread.

I am wanting to build some type of long range Rifle, no particular purpose in mind, just something that will reach way out there. The fact that there is a 1000 yard range being readied in Huntsville Tx, (1.5 hour drive), might have something to do with it.

I have a good friend that I helped put together a 6.5x55 Ackley Imp, he usues a 1-9 twist with that long 140 grn Berger VLD, which has a BC in the 600 range. He shoots it at a flat 3000 fps.

Since we already have this combo all worked out, (dies and all), I was wondering what you long rang shooters think of this combo. The Lapua Brass is really nice, the reamer we have requires just a tad turned from the necks to match things up. The reamer features a .295 neck and a freebore that matches the Berger Bullet so that the base is just at the neck shoulder junction...........jackie

Jackie, to-date, for the type shoots we are holding, the 6.5-284's have been the ppc's of our shoots. You either win with one or you get beat by one. However, The 6.5x55 may work just as well. The 6.5x284 is maybe a bit big because you do have air in the cartridge with the loads we shoot. The 6mm's will shoot a bit better groups but the matches we have been holding are more like score matches in that we are mostly shooting clay targets. You have to re-aim for each shot. For this, the 6.5's have so far proven to be the best setup.

Joe

I think a 260 ackley would be a great chambering?? Lee

I think a 260 ackley would be a great chambering?? Lee

I think this is a great idea... and this is exactly the sort of thinking that will keep these new 'supercases' alive and well, available.

At some point, probably about right here at the .308 length case, the small primer will prove to be max'd out for proper ignition of the long powder column...... but meantime I hope to see LOTS of experimentation!!

:)

al

Portland, Or. 600 yard competition???

Hi All;

I live in Boise Idaho and have not shot BR events for a couple of years. I used to shoot HBR in the West. (LaGrande) was my home range. I have shot a couple of long range matches but it has been several years.
I see that there are competitions in the Portland area for 600 yard BR. That is only a days drive from here so I am interested in finding out more about them.
Does the sponsoring club have a web site?
Would the schedule for these matches be posted there?
Who is the director?
Are there other clubs in the West that have 600 yard BR matches?

Thanks
Ron in Boise
ronhbr@cableone.net

Ron, here's the club site

http://www.tcgc.org/

As far as the schedule.... I just keep an eye out here. Cody (willy's46) posts the date a few weeks before each match. I think there's an NBRSA sanctioned match in late August.

I keep hearing rumours about 600yd BR matches in Tri-Cities (Pasco/Kennewick/Richland WA) but so far I think it's only belly shooters....

Also Wenatchee has 600, they are even closer to you I think.. http://www.wenrrc.org/

Hope to see you at a shoot

al

Thanks

Thanks Al;

Another match that is held in Oregon is at the Snake River Sportsmans 600 yard range 2 mile south of Vale.

These are none sanctioned matches that are held on the 3rd Sat. of the month. The pits are setup at 8:00am and the matches start about 9:00am.

Ron

Back