We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Have been making a bit of progress of late. Had a new torque convertor built with a higher flash rpm but with a stator design that, in theory, should keep the efficiency up in high gear. Between that and a half dozen other tweaks, the car is on average .012-.013 (12-13 hundredths of a second) quicker than last season. This past weekend, we qualified 11th at .83 under the index in very poor air. The Density Altitude was 4,400 ft, the uncorrected barometer was 28.2 and the temp. was 94 degrees.

Next thing to evaluate is a timing retard system that lets me leave with a bunch of timing in low gear, then step it back incrementally down track.

Last edited:
Have been making a bit of progress of late. Had a new torque convertor built with a higher flash rpm but with a stator design that, in theory, should keep the efficiency up in high gear. Between that and a half dozen other tweaks, the car is on average .012-.013 (12-13 hundredths of a second) quicker than last season. This past weekend, we qualified 11th at .83 under the index in very poor air. The Density Altitude was 4,400 ft, the uncorrected barometer was 28.2 and the temp. was 94 degrees.

Next thing to evaluate project is a timing retard system that lets me leave with a bunch of timing in low gear, then step it back incrementally down track.

Al, can you use Meth Injection in Stock?

I see it in a lot of hot street cars to control detonation.

Last edited:
Al, can you use Meth Injection in Stock?

I see it in a lot of hot street cars to control detonation.

No, we can't. The fuels we use all have to pass NHRA and IHRA fuels checks for specific gravity. I've been using V.P. C12 but have another fuel to evaluate at some point.

Next thing to evaluate is a timing retard system that lets me leave with a bunch of timing in low gear, then step it back incrementally down track.

Al
that you can measure your progress in hundredths shows how consistent your car is. I could gain or lose a tenth just by changing strips.
Nice ride and if you ever go to Firebird Raceway let me know. Would love to see your car.

Mort

Last edited:
Al

Got a call from my buddy Bob Mulry from A and M Motor Sports last night. They took the E/S Firebird to Fallon and ran a 10.98 at altitude at a 119 mph. They wanted to run for record but the scales were off so no go. The corrected ET is 10.48.

Bob and Rich Aceves have been racing for 45 years as a team.They won class at the Nationals a few years back with a K/S Firebird.

Bob, Rich and I all worked at the shipyard machine shop 46 years ago. Bob built the motor for my D/G Chevy.Those were good times and we were all in our twenties.

Good luck and hope you don't break any parts this year.

Mort

Not into the high performance stuff but like cars anyway. Went to the Minnesota Sreet Rod Assoc show over the weekend, Lots of really nice stuff, something for everyone. Anybody else there from here?

Jim

i was never into big muscle cars..i followed and worked road racing, f1, canam, nascar on road courses.

i built a 1960 bug......VW BUG YOU SAY!!

TIME PERIOD..1972....
1800 cc
scat crank
wild cam...one of two i owned both..power range was narrow..4500to 7500..with an 8000rpm limiter...
car had a roll cage tied into suspension points
no heater no radio no carperts
fibreglass one pc hood and fenders...
2" dropped front axle
now this was a street car...daily driiver...25 mpg for 16 yrs
two 2bbl webber carbs
8000 rpm in 1/2...7500 rpm in 3rd....in 16 yrs never had it flat out in 4th.
stock gear ratios but lots of durability mods to the transaxle.......including 5 mounting points.
did do over 120...and the numbers say if you drop another 1000 rpm for 4th gear..top end would be 135+/-.....
oh for the days when you could get real premium gas....
raced it in hawaii....short road course type stuff( we had part of the new highway before it opened)
it weighed all of 1500 lbs....
it was stolen in 1981....fed hot car list...
oppps i forgot...
dry sump oil system scavanging pump and supply pump ...9 quart sys

mike in co

Hey Mikey,
A couple guys on this forum know VWs. Be careful what you post.

Thought I'd add an end-of-season update as to where we're at with the car.

A mid season converter change helped quite a bit. We picked away at some other small things and also found some improvement. As it sits now, the car is a solid .80-.85 under in decent conditions (no altitude correction) in this part of the country. A good barometer here is 28.8 (uncorrected) so I'm pretty pleased, all in all.

Where I go from here with it, I'm not sure..but it's been fun!

cd78OJC.jpg

Last edited:
Went to some drag races down in Bradenton,Fl a few years ago and of course they had the bracket cars running too. The really interesting part though was that the $10,000 prize money was won by a guy driving a weekend rental car!...a Ford Focus to be exact.
Good luck with your car.

Nice ride Al. I was fortunate enough to make National Dragster magazine this month from the Hot Rod Reunion in June.

Last edited:
Nice ride Al. I was fortunate enough to make National Dragster magazine this month from the Hot Rod Reunion in June.

'Way cool, Dave! :cool: I thought of you this summer as I crossed the Cedar River on my way to Earlville (Tri States Raceway) in July and September. Told my traveling partner of your exploits in building a dike around your place during the flooding...unreal. -Al

Thought I'd add an end-of-season update as to where we're at with the car.

A mid season converter change helped quite. We picked away at some other small things and also found some improvement. As it sits now, the car is a solid .80-.85 under in decent conditions (no altitude correction) in this part of the country. A good barometer here is 28.8 (uncorrected) so I'm pretty pleased, all in all.

Where I go from here with it, I'm not sure..but it's been fun!

cd78OJC.jpg

Al,

I noticed that the car has a Bullet Cams sticker on it. Bullet cams is just another company that uses our crankshaft balancing machine.

www.crankbalancer.com

Michael

Al, I noticed that the car has a Bullet Cams sticker on it. Bullet cams is just another company that uses our crankshaft balancing machine.

www.crankbalancer.com Michael

Michael, it's strange how people are connected, isn't it? I used to buy camshafts from John back when he worked at Lunati. Bullet does great cranks (as well as cams) and your equipment is one of the reasons why. -Al

6k6glCb.jpg

I know most of the guys here are muscle car folks... I had one of these in college days and have been in love with them ever since. I found this pic and couldn't resist. After about a year I came to my senses and got a real car. However, the memories I have of driving my Berkeley are priceless.

Motorcycle roadracers

Any roadracers in the crowd ?
I spent many years chasing titles for amature roadracing .
Home track was Nelson Ledges .
The late 70s and early 80s was a fun time with large grids and the American pros dominated Europe at that time .
I love cars but racing them cost way more than motorbikes.
Bill

Attachments

• 516305B9-06E5-452C-A50A-9D15B841769B.jpeg
    516305B9-06E5-452C-A50A-9D15B841769B.jpeg
    814.9 KB · Views: 298
Back