We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Finally got out last Friday with my pal to test with his Competition Eliminator Cobalt. It's been a big program change for this car to take maximum advantage of the class rules. The engine is now 24 cubic inches bigger, the Liberty 5 speed has been replaced with a Pro Trans automatic with a Coan aluminum convertor and the car can be 80 pounds lighter than with the Liberty 5 speed. Dyno numbers show a bunch more torque and flatter torque curve with the new cubes and updated heads/intake.

Initial results were pretty promising. The shift points need to be picked up as they are too close to the torque converter 'flash' rpm. That confused the automatic shift sequences that are triggered by the MSD ignition....the car wants to shift into second gear when the trans brake released on the starting line.

Basically, as soon as the trans brake is released at 6,500 rpm the convertor flashes to 9,100 rpm. Ideally, the 1-2 shift should be about 8,800 rpm...which happens aotumatically. So...as the convertor is coming up, the ignition system is telling the trans to shift. Effectively, it leaves in second gear. The easy fix would be to pick up the 1-2 shift rpm to about 9,500 rpm. The problem with that approach is that the Pro Trans transmission is a TH350 case with Chrysler 904 internals...and they have a 400 rpm 'over run' before they shift..even after the shift lever is moved. It's a quirk of that system that you live with to get the lower drag of the light weight 904 internals. Taking the shift point to 9,900-10,000 isn't what you want on the 1-2 as the engine is well out of it's torque range.

Might have to abandon the ignition-based shift rpm approach and go to a timer that shifts the car at a preset time rather than an rpm-based shift point.

Some pics, for those interested:

Out with the Liberty clutchless 5 speed:

O52mBOIl.jpg

In with the Pro Trans automatic:

KibQiD3l.jpg

30SJ2uJl.jpg

Fresh bullet:

D5839g9l.jpg

A bath for 'baby' before loading up:

JVNfBTyl.jpg

On the road:

Dc8kIkpl.jpg

At the track. It's an 1/8th track 2 hours South of us. The starting line is always killer good..the #1 prerequisite for testing! ;)

Got to drive my buddy's 2005, can't think of the name of the venical, the pickup truck that Dodge makes. Anyway he does not have a problem with it and I said it floats around 9000, I have not driven that truck since, I wonder why? (snigger).

I know what it is, Dodge Datonia with a 3.90 rear and a 5.9 hemi running on pump 260, with a chip in it, if I ever get this spelling down, you guys are for it. EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
It's been out twice, went -.87 under and -.93 under on two different tracks. It's in a stick shift Nova. : -Al

Al, That is so cool! A 4 speed no less! I'm sure it would have been a record holder in C or D/Gas back in the day. Would love to see it run.

Many thanks

Mort

It's been a week long project but this one got finished up on the dyno yesterday:

It's a SBC (kinda' ;)) based on a G.M. 'Aurora' Oldsmobile (kinda' ;))block originally designed for IRL racing. The block isn't cast iron..it's a CG (compacted graphite) block. The blocks were delivered with no head bolt holes or lifter bores so the builders could put them where they wanted to. This one was originally done by the late Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkins as a spin off from the NHRA Pro Stock Truck program. Pretty cool to be working on something that 'The Grump' had layed his hands on! :cool:

Anyway, it uses a set of splayed valve heads (basically a big block Chevy head on a small block Chevy block) with very small combustion chambers. Small enough that the compression ratio is 18:1 with a flat top piston. Engine speeds are a tick over 9,000 at peak rpm. With 358 cubic inches, it made 934 h.p. which is 2.6 h.p. per cubic inch! No power adders, spray stuff or funky fuel....just race gas per NHRA rules.

I spent one full day on the lathe and mill just fab'ing up throttle linkage from a box of odds and ends laying around my pal's race shop. There's not a lot of room with the shear plates under the carbs....the geometry with two 4500 series carbs can get you in trouble quickly. There's something about watching all that linkage work in harmony that makes me smile. :D

Hope you enjoy this stuff. -Al

tbPecQrl.jpg

8kv6hkPl.jpg

z1nmFhNl.jpg

HOlee Shmouldering Boulders....... talk about "mixing old tech with new"..... that's a whole nuther level :)

and me..... I'ma settin' here wondering "what's it like to drill and tap graphite??"

It pretty much acts like cast iron....harder on tooling, for sure. The CG blocks bring three things to the table...homogeneous grain structure, dimensional stability and the ability to be repaired. If (when) you hurt a cylinder wall, it's TIG welded, machined and finish honed just like it was new. No more sleeving which can push adjacent bores around.

This technology directly spilled over to production uses as millions of vehicles now use connecting rods made of powdered metal formed under pressure.

Kinda' like a hammer forged barrel without all the noise. Randy Robinett and I went by a hammer forging operation in Pennsylvania when we were there for the IBS Score Nationals....talk about noise!

Good shootin'. -Al

Back