Sporter Class NBRSA

Hunter,

Your right you would drive 1900 miles to see OSU whip on The Tide. What was score last time we played!!!!!!!!!!!! Phoenix used to have 240 at Cactus and Nationals both. Stagnation could be BR short ranges biggest problem.

Jim

Jim, Nobody whips on the Tide. If they lose, they usually beat themselves. The score was 42-35 ---hardly a whipp'n.

Mark, if you don't mind let's me and you forget about that Ohio game...gripes me to no end.

soo how about killing the one gun match.
you can only win one class with one rifle.
want to win a 2 gun trophy ? SHOOT 2 GUNS

how about a 7.5/8lb 22 cal class ?

AND
one gun per class per match.

from outside the box

soo how about killing the one gun match.
you can only win one class with one rifle.
want to win a 2 gun trophy ? SHOOT 2 GUNS

how about a 7.5/8lb 22 cal class ?

AND
one gun per class per match.

from outside the box

Not everybody can afford multiple rifles.

Not everybody can afford multiple rifles.

That's always been the advantage of the classes as they have been. If people wanted to shoot a 10.5 pound 6mm in all four classes, they've been able to do that as long as I've been competing in benchrest. Pretty sure Pat Byrne shot his way into the Hall of Fame doing just that. Probably not the same rifle, but it was a 10.5 pound 6 PPC that he won his points shooting. I don't think he ever shot a rail gun as his back wouldn't allow it. If the rifle was a 8 pound rifle, then that would force people to have more than one rifle which isn't good for the sport or they'd be competing in everything with the 8 pound rifle. Anything that makes it more expensive to play the game, isn't good for the sport however appealing it would be to have a 8 pound class. It's expensive enough as it is.

The problem with all of this

is the perfection. Regardless of which Benchrest sport one can mention, everyone is bent on perfection. Nobody is satisfied with less that the highest score or the smallest group.

What I mean here is, I don't think there would be much interest in rifles that wouldn't group in the low ones or zeros as people aren't interested much in rifles that won't shoot 250's with high x counts in score.

As has been proven with the new Sporter classes in IR 50/50, the 6.5 x scope has very little to do with perfection. It doesn't take young eyes to score big with them. It simply is about barrels and tune. Some big scores were shot this year by old eyes. The 6.5X scope could make a new class more challenging but groups would increase. So what? Everyone is going to be in the same boat.

I'm one of those who finds rifles simply as a tool. I could care less if I ever fired another rifle but it gives me a chance to compete. Yeah, I appreciate the good stuff but wouldn't find any of them something to display in the house. Same goes for Shotguns and I have never cared much at all about handguns even though I own one. I deceive myself into believing I own it for protection but never carry it or have it where I could actually use it.

Just some old man's thoughts.

Pete

why call it a 2/3/4 gun agg if you really only shoot ONE gun
is it about ego ?
sorry i just do not get having a 2/3/4 gun contest and not
REQUIRING 2/3/4 GUNS.

do not give me cost..because the rules say nothing about cost.

you look for ideas but fail to follow the intent of CLASSES.

and you wonder why attendance is down

why call it a 2/3/4 gun agg if you really only shoot ONE gun
is it about ego ?
sorry i just do not get having a 2/3/4 gun contest and not
REQUIRING 2/3/4 GUNS.

do not give me cost..because the rules say nothing about cost.

you look for ideas but fail to follow the intent of CLASSES.

and you wonder why attendance is down

But reality says a lot about cost.

The only way a you could rectify the shooting of one Rifle in all 3 Bag Gun Classwould figure out a way to actually make a a big enough difference in the classes to where there would be a definite disadvantage in shooting a lower class Rifle in a higher Class.

This will be very difficult because most experienced Benchrest Shooters understand that this game is still about barrels, bullets, and tuning. Most of the crap that is argued about all the time on this Forum is nothing but widow dressing.

Give a decent Shooter a 10.5 lb LV Rifle with great barrel, a great lot of bullets, and a great tune, he will probably beat you, regardless of the weight of your Rifle, the width of your Forearm, or the contour of your Barrel.

Last edited:
No way I put up a rifle I've finally got to working. That is if I get there. To take out another one just because it's heavier. Now if the rules said I had to shoot a rifle at that weight then no choice

so really there are no classes, its about ego and wanting to win
in spite of the rules. why have classes ? just shoot lv 4 times.
why pretend you shot to 4 sets of rules ?

what if you actually had to shoot 4 guns in four classes ?

if you cannot afford 4 rifles then do not shoot in the other classes.

the hv only guy cannot win hv because 90% of the shooters just spend
half a day practicing for hv by shooting lv.

The only reason I have a HV is my 30BR that I shoot in Varmint for Score.

benny1960

WELL SAID I AGREE WHY EVEN HAVE SPORTER CLASS 98 % shoot LV rifle an shoot it also in Hv I am a new shooter an had two guns built a Hv An Lv 90% of shooters I shoot with an met have one gun lv

Believe it or not, there was once a time where heavy varmint rifles shot better overall than light varmint rifles. This has passed but the classes remain the same. Anyway, why does it bother y'all?

it seems childish to me, to claim you won a
FOUR GUN event,
but you only shot ONE GUN.
the entry fees and time at the range would be less
if you just shot once and skipped all the bs about classes.
( do not get your panties in a wad, this is from a guy looking in from
the outside. i do not shoot registered short range br)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could shoot 4 different rifles if you wanted to....but are not required by the rules to have but one. I don't see anything wrong with that. In fact, I don't see anything wrong with something like a 25 pound class that allows anything you can imagine as long as you can shoot a sporter rifle in that class.

A new class or class change will not increase attendance.

Believe it or not, there was once a time where heavy varmint rifles shot better overall than light varmint rifles. This has passed but the classes remain the same. Anyway, why does it bother y'all?

HV vs LV? Many "older shooters" will only shoot the HV class, look at the attendance especially in local 2-day HV/LV shoots, because of the recoil. Actually, the HV should all be shot on the same day on ranges that don't have to move target frames.

The last Nationals he competed in, an IBS at Weikert, Mr. Mike Walker, at age 98, only shot HV. He had traveled from North Carolina to Weikert just to shoot Heavy Varmint.. I had the honor of shooting beside him. Jeff Stover, in his new job a IBS President, had a photo shot with Mr. Walker and himself to put on Precision Shooting Mag.....the old and the new..... Brennan refused to use it!!!!!!

Are we getting too complicated for todays economy? A few years ago, before THE FED was turned loose and allowed to take interest on savings to ZERO, retired people had some supplemental income from interest on savings. Now a $20,000 balance on an interest bearing checking account will earn 78 cents/month...that stinks!!

it seems childish to me, to claim you won a
FOUR GUN event,
but you only shot ONE GUN.
the entry fees and time at the range would be less
if you just shot once and skipped all the bs about classes.
( do not get your panties in a wad, this is from a guy looking in from
the outside. i do not shoot registered short range br)

"Childish" is not the word I would have chosen.

Just for information's sake, why don't you shoot Short Range Benchrest?

And, if the Sanctioning Bodies decided to establish the rules so as to force shooters to use a specific Rifle for a specific Class, would that compell you to compete.

Last edited:
i am more of a social shooter and am happy competing at the club
level. i enjoy several style/types of shooting and can do it locally with little to no travel.
the entry fee for our club br shoot is TWO DOLLARS per class. the 800-2000yd
prone matches in raton will be a big step for me.

CMaier seems to be confused a little so I'll comment to maybe clear some of that.

Light Varmint is 22 cal or better, 10.5lb limit
Sporter is 6mm or better, 10.5lb limit
Heavy Varmint is 22 cal or better, 13.5lb limit
Unlimited is unlimited...shoot any safely operated rifle

You could shoot a 22 cal in light, a 6mm in sporter, a heavier 22 in heavy, and an all out unlimited in the unlimited class. Conversely, the sporter rifle meets the rules for all four classes. If you had a heavy varmint rifle that shot better than your sporter you would likely shoot it in heavy varmint and perhaps unlimited...but you can't shoot it in all 4 classes.

Soooo..many folks that don't have the time or money to have more than one rifle simply work toward a good shooting sporter rifle. Actually, that's the better way to go in my opinion....except for the 10 shot unlimited class. You really need a quick shooting rail for that one....but keep in mind you can shoot a sporter class rifle nonetheless.

Last edited:
Back