Shut 'er down!!

I enjoy the free exchange of ideas and opinions and have kept out of this one pretty much because those who do, do and those who don't, don't and not much anyone can say is going to change any minds. I did get a little curious over the posts that claimed the ACA was enacted without the Senate voting on it. I am not even in the same zip code as a Constitutional expert, but I am close friends with a guy who runs a well-known conservative think tank and has spent a lifetime working in Washington -- from aide to Sen. Charles Percy to assistant and speech writer for Ronald Reagan, he is about as close to a Constitutional expert as I know. I copied and pasted some of the posted comments and this is his reply ...

Your respondent is a total ignoramus.

The House passed its bill. The Senate completely ignored that bill (HR 3200), probably because it boldly declared ObamaCare penalties to be TAXES.
Instead, the Senate concocted its own bill and then grafted it into an insignificant House-passed bill (HR 3590).

At this point Teddy Kennedy died and Scott Brown won the special election, giving the Republicans 40 votes. That’s enough to prevent cloture on a motion to go to conference with the House on HR 3590.

So the Senate sent the House its language and demanded that the House swallow hard and approve the whole thing without asking for a conference – which the House did.

At the same time the Senate initiated a reconciliation bill that included some of the amendments that the House indicated it wanted, plus scrapped the Cornhusker Compromise and some other pork-financed provisions.

Reconciliation does not require a cloture vote – just 51, which the Dems had. The House concurred, and the ACA was thus amended even before it took effect.

Both chambers voted to approve the ACA (PL 111-148) and the reconciliation addendum.

The “thirty days to the President” is absurd. Every bill must be approved by both Houses identically, before it is sent to the president.

Thank you!

... but I am close friends with a guy who runs a well-known conservative think tank and has spent a lifetime working in Washington -- from aide to Sen. Charles Percy to assistant and speech writer for Ronald Reagan, he is about as close to a Constitutional expert as I know. I copied and pasted some of the posted comments and this is his reply ...

Your respondent is a total ignoramus.

The House passed its bill. The Senate completely ignored that bill (HR 3200), probably because it boldly declared ObamaCare penalties to be TAXES.
Instead, the Senate concocted its own bill and then grafted it into an insignificant House-passed bill (HR 3590).

At this point Teddy Kennedy died and Scott Brown won the special election, giving the Republicans 40 votes. That’s enough to prevent cloture on a motion to go to conference with the House on HR 3590.

So the Senate sent the House its language and demanded that the House swallow hard and approve the whole thing without asking for a conference – which the House did.

At the same time the Senate initiated a reconciliation bill that included some of the amendments that the House indicated it wanted, plus scrapped the Cornhusker Compromise and some other pork-financed provisions.

Reconciliation does not require a cloture vote – just 51, which the Dems had. The House concurred, and the ACA was thus amended even before it took effect.

Both chambers voted to approve the ACA (PL 111-148) and the reconciliation addendum.

The “thirty days to the President” is absurd. Every bill must be approved by both Houses identically, before it is sent to the president.

Finally, some facts. As I stated previously, the Senate vote was 60-39.

The Tea Party crowd has enough valid points to argue their case, so why do they distort and mislead--or worse???

Wayne, I hope the guy who started the "gentleman" thread don't judge the benchrest sport by some of these comments.

"Gentlemen" -- from Wikipedia, one meaning:

By social courtesy the designation came to include any well-educated man of good family and distinction, analogous to the Latin generosus (its usual translation in English-Latin documents, although nobilis is found throughout pre-Reformation papal correspondence). To a degree, gentleman came to signify a man with an income derived from property, a legacy or some other source, and was thus independently wealthy and did not need to work....

So I would say no, benchrest shooters do not tend to be gentlemen. ut then in this thread, they do so show a disregard for the poor, so maybe they are, after all.

Edit:

It just occurred to me, I wish the Tea Party would go ahead & pass the budget, and make their fight over the debt ceiling. Failing to increase that would really screw anyone with debt, credit card, mortgage, etc., and social security recipients, orphans, widows, all those undeserving sorts.

But it would mean those of us with a bit of cash on hand would suddenly see interest payments to us go way up, I'm tired of getting 0.1% on my money. Since I'm no gentleman, give me some of those 10% returns .

Last edited:
"Gentlemen" -- from Wikipedia, one meaning:

So I would say no, benchrest shooters do not tend to be gentlemen. ut then in this thread, they do so show a disregard for the poor, so maybe they are, after all.

Seriously Charles, your benevolence is admirable. We should all try to do more for the truly needy. I have sometimes.

A lady with 3 kids just moved out owing me about $8,000 back rent but her husband had died and she had no place to go, does this count?

Seriously Charles, your benevolence is admirable. We should all try to do more for the truly needy. I have sometimes.

A lady with 3 kids just moved out owing me about $8,000 back rent but her husband had died and she had no place to go, does this count?

Yup. I'll take anyone who spouts wrong but acts right any day.

You'd like this one, Jerry. When my dad was young -- around 1918 -- the husbansd and wife on the neighboring farm died. They had four kids. Each of the neighbors took in a kid, and worked the farm enough to pay taxes & keep it viable for when the kids grew up. Around 1985, I met one of those "kids." He was then worth about a million dollars, and yes, he had helped others in his life.

What people should remember about this story is, it wasn't remarkable, nothing heroic, it was just how people lived then. Nice to see you're the same way.

BTW, you will find my name on match reports. Sadly though, these days you have to look down a whole lot farther...

Last edited:

I don't think so :)

I recently head-tallied around 50K of uncollected and uncollectible money I've spent specifically "helping people to get on their feet..." Many of them were friends at the time of the "loans" .....

Sometimes that's the saddest part

al

Yup. I'll take anyone who spouts wrong but acts right any day.

You'd like this one, Jerry. When my dad was young -- around 1918 -- the husbansd and wife on the neighboring farm died. They had four kids. Each of the neighbors took in a kid, and worked the farm enough to pay taxes & keep it viable for when the kids grew up. Around 1985, I met one of those "kids." He was then worth about a million dollars, and yes, he had helped others in his life.

What people should remember about this story is, it wasn't remarkable, nothing heroic, it was just how people lived then. Nice to see you're the same way.

BTW, you will find my name on match reports. Sadly though, these days you have to look down a whole lot farther...

Agreed, till LBJ and the Great Society came along we all pitched in. The Great Society ain't so great anymore IMO.

I don't think so :)

al

I think you're wrong, Al. The biggest problem I have with liberals is they think they can take care of their obligations to the needy by passing laws so the government pays the bills. Sorry, they are wrong. It helps, but the personal obligation is still there. I don't belong to an organized church, but tithing is still something I do. In my will, after taking care of my wife & employees, the rest goes to Habitat for Humanity and the Food Bank.

BTW, one of the guys who started 1,000 yard shooting in the Carolinas got cancer. He had no insurance. He had to run up his credit card debt & take out a second mortgage. Of course he died, leaving his widow with nothing but debt. We raised some money for her, but it only made a dent in the debt. With medical costs these days, it takes more than neighbors. You could argue he just should have refused treatment, some of us would have done that. But he chose to fight, and lose. That's one of the things "Obamacare" is designed to address.

Last edited:
All I said was "I don't think it counts"

:)

al

You don't think what counts? My letting the rent go on that family for many months? That was a nice family and had only alternative and that was to go into government housing. I'm sorry but most government housing is not a good atmosphere to raise young children in the manner it takes for them to be good citizens.

Actually Al, I don't give a Red Rosy what you think about what I do!!!

In my will, after taking care of my wife & employees, the rest goes to Habitat for Humanity and the Food Bank.

Interesting. Do you have children? If so, I'd be interested in your rationale -- if you care to share. :)

Last edited:
Shut er down

You folks were chatting about Romney.
Actually the only things wrong with Romney were 1 his religion Mormon. Not popular with some folks , even though they are good people
2 he was from the corporate world running right after a financial melt down of the stock market.
The scandle of Berney Madoff and the bonus of the corporate chiefs set a hostile climate for anyone from the corporate sector

Dr's and hospital administators...............?

What are the thoughts of the medical community?
ba

You folks were chatting about Romney.
Actually the only things wrong with Romney were 1 his religion Mormon. Not popular with some folks , even though they are good people
2 he was from the corporate world running right after a financial melt down of the stock market.
The scandle of Berney Madoff and the bonus of the corporate chiefs set a hostile climate for anyone from the corporate sector

You forgot that he was the king of flip-flopping. First he was for universal health care, then he was against it. First he was pro-choice, then he was pro-life. On nearly every issue he changed his position if he thought he had to please the conservatives.

Then there were the gaffs. We've already talked about his 47% claim. Next was the "binders full of women" comment.

As I watched the debates I could not believe he could look us in the eye and flip-flop on almost every single important issue.

Actually, as governor of Massachusetts he was a pretty good politician. But he decided he must flip in order to be elected. Guess he miscalculated.

Shut er down

And Obama doesn't??
chuckle'' THE KING OF LIES.
They all lie every year to get back their cushy government jobs
The pays great and they can lie and goldbrick any time, not to mention the vacation time.
Romney was a poor choice but he had the $$$ to beat out the others in the selection process.
Lets be realistic the Republican choices were somewhat poor. I'm sure there is someone out there that would have been electable.
One popular Republican said it was their turn. Hummm interesting how one could say that.
TURNS??????

27 states sued against Obama Care. That's not a trick poll, but it is over- whelming and I believe rare, and I don't believe the majority changed their minds recently, so Chris Matthews can rewrite history (as he always does) cause the facts are the facts. I've been polled many times and the questions are usually tricky. If I remember history right Prohibition was the LAW OF THE LAND. It's not now. A liberal likes to tell you how generous, intelligent and great they are, sometimes with their hardship background-then tell you you should be generous and great like them, disregarding that maybe you did more for others than they did, but if you don't agree with them they want a LAW to make you, they know better than you how things should be, and if it don't work out, it some others' fault. They are really good at destroying and monstorizing others who don't agree calling them racists and insensitive. They also like to give each other awards for their so-called achievements. They think they have the opportunity at this time to make this country what they want it to be, and they will win some but they will LOSE in the end.

Back