Is There Such a Thing as a GOOD Shooting Related Movie?

Gentelmen.

I liked SHOOTER
"A marksman living in exile is coaxed back into action after learning of a plot to kill the president. Ultimately double-crossed and framed for the attempt, he goes on the run to track the real killer and find out who exactly set him up, and why."

Magnus Sigurdsson
Iceland

I read a lot of history. Most movies based on a true story get Hollywoodized to the point that there is little resemblance to the actual facts.
Some are close but not quite right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it'll take a little while to get caught up with em all, which is what I was looking for. Ask on an AV forum and you get the same ole answers many times. It's tough finding good stuff to watch.

Nodak7mm gave 2 great suggestions too. Enemy at the Gates and Ghost and the Darkness are two solid 5 star films (imo). Course, I own both of them already...

From Iceland... Jmho....but, Shooter was ridiculous. No US Marine is gonna be caught within 100 miles of the US President with so much as a McDonalds straw and a wrapper. You don't even look down a toilet paper tube while he's in the same state. Then, he's shooting this cannon that couldn't hit a barn... I just had a hard time buy'n it.

Kansasvet, I have With the Old Breed arriving today from Amazon. Unlike many Americans my age, I can read! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
4Mes..Dear Sir.

"From Iceland... Jmho....but, Shooter was ridiculous. No US Marine is gonna be caught within 100 miles of the US President with so much as a McDonalds straw and a wrapper"

Sadly one at least was in Dallas on November 22. 1963
But I agree with you, many (most) things in this film are ridiculous, but I found the
sniper scene in the beginning of it interesting.

Greetings from Reykjavik, Iceland (50 deg.Fahrenheit..spring is comming!)

Magnus Sigurdsson

"Shot Through the Heart"

"The horrors of war are examined from the view points of lifelong friends (Linus Roache, Vincent Perez), who end up on opposing sides in the civil war in Sarajevo. One is an expert marksman, who trains the snipers used to terrify the city and the other becomes a freedom fighter, who rejects his friend's offer to gain an escape from the city. As might be expected, the two eventually have to face-off against one another. "

FromIceland,

But, he wasn't working WITH the US Secret Service (those protecting the Pres). To each his own.

And Greetings from Pennsylvania, where it's only been above freezing one day in the last 8 (not including today where it's 24f now). Where the hell is spring?

Zilla, Yes, Shot Through The Heart another great movie. It's especially interesting to see how people from some of these other societies will snap at the drop of a hat. Mind boggling to an American.

I just watched "Sniper 3" with Tom Berringer. It did have some far fetched Hollywood in it but there would be a small # of people that would watch it if it didn't. I have also been watching "Top Sniper" on instant NetFlix. It is the international sniper competition.

Has anyone noticed in the first "Sniper" that when they are sitting by the river bank shotting the people in the boat and Tom says 3 clicks right and then the shooter turns the knob on top of his scope?

There are a couple I liked.....................

Get the "Director's Cut" of "The Wild Bunch", its supposed to be almost all of the original movie.

I liked "Dirty Harry", I'd read the book, and when the movie came out, I convinced all my friends to go see it, even though I hadn't :D I remedied that the next weekend.

As for the .44 Magnum, there was already a greater demand than factory production could answer, I believe the production company had to buy a Model 57, and then change out the barrel and cylinder.

And yes, "Dirty Harry" did start a stampede the factory was overwhelmed by, and it was 1971. I don't know if it was the "first" appearence of the M29, but in 1967 the 4 INCH M29 made its debut in "Point Blank", starring Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson, Keenan Wynn, and Carroll O'Connor. I mention O'Connor because Marvin shot the 'phone off his desk w/the 29.
If you get this movie, watch for the used car test drive, it had people absolutely screaming in the theater :D. It brought tears to my eyes.

There was one other I've never been able to find, it starred Peter Fonda and featured William Holden, "Open Season" kinda like "Deliverance" in a way.

If you want a very realistic war movie, get "The Siege of Firebase Gloria". A friend who was in Vietnam said this is the most realistic movie he's ever seen as it depicts a battle. He knows, his base was overrun one night, and in the morning there were 5 or 8 men left. He was the senior man, and he was a corporal. R. Lee Ermy is one of the actors.

Last edited:
"Enemy at the Gates."

The true story of a duel during World War II between celebrated Russian sniper, Vassili Zaitsev, and the Nazi's best sharpshooter, Major Konig, set against the epic battle of Stalingrad.

Then there is, "The Ghost in the Darkness." Based on the Lions of Tsavo..

The film is based on a true story and during the construction of the bridge, the lions would enter the workers camp to kill. Believing them not to be real lions, the locals name them 'The Ghost' and 'The Darkness'. After losing dozens of workers to the lions, the railroad company brought in Remington, an American 'great white hunter', to kill them, but even his reputation for being the best could not prevent yet more carnage. It is believed that over 130 people were killed by the two lions in just a few months.

Both pretty intense flims. However, my favorite too is "Quigley Down Under!!"

Rod

Good choices!

How about "Never So Few"? A war movie....yes....but with plenty of firearms, movie stars from a time gone by.......and, of course....Gina L.( Liz Taylor only wished she was as beautiful.....IMHO).

One of my favorite movies.

BTW.....there's "Joe Kidd", with Eastwood and Duvall.

Kevin

"Never So Few" was a good book too. Several of the actors later become stars in their own right. Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson for example. I never really thought of it as a "shooting" movie though.

"Shooter" could have been good but Hollywood just couldn't live with it being credible.

Fitch

I must admit, part of my problem with 'Shooter' was having Marky Mark play Bob Lee Swagger........sorry :eek: I enjoy Stephen Hunter's work.

BTST I couldn't get past the stupid jumping-acrost-the-opening shot in 'Enemy At The Gates.'

'The Ghost And The Darkness' was OK except that in real life Patterson was a stone cold nut job.......I don't know how Hollywood could have captured that today.

al

I liked Band of Brothers when they were in the Normandy hedgrows and you could the bullets snappin from the MG42s. For fun I liked The Professionals with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster.

Just a note about "Law and Order". "Law and Order" is one of the MOST ANTI-Second Amendment shows ever made. Check it out.

Check out The Wild Bunch with William Holden, E Borgnine, R Ryan, Ben Johnson & W Oats. It started the shoot the heck out of everything westerns

How about the shoot out at the bank robbery in the movie Heat.

Back