Is There Such a Thing as a GOOD Shooting Related Movie?

Now that's what I call a good shooting related video! Great soundtrack too. I want one. I'll call and see if I can talk you out of a copy. Again, thank your son for his service for me.

Best regards,

Greg

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. They are important and appreciated..... I dunno how you guys coming back from the 'Nam handled it.

Does anyone remember "Pork Chop Hill"? A good movie filmed in black & white. I saw it as a kid and thought it was neat as there no GIRLS in it ! I think just a picture of a girl up on the wall in the bunker(I was very young then and girls had not yet entered my mind). :) It starred Gregory Peck,Harry Guardino,Rip Torn, George Peppard, Woody Strode, Robert Blake and Norman Fell.
Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. They are important and appreciated..... I dunno how you guys coming back from the 'Nam handled it.

Al, I had the honor and good fortune to listen to the parents of Lt. Michael Murphy talk about their son's sacrifice at Penn State University last week end. As you know, LT. Murphy was a NAVY SEAL who was killed on a remote mountain top in Afghanistan. He walked out into enemy fire to call base to ask for an extract for his bleeding and dying men; taking an AK-47 round in the chest. He was awarded the Medal Of Honor posthumously by George W. Bush and was a true leader. His story is detailed in the book 'Seal Of Honor'. Michael's father, Dan Murphy, was wounded in Viet Nam with approx. 40% disability. During the discussion about his son he talked about how the country treated the returning vets from Nam and how we treat our vets from the middle eastern wars. Thankfully, this country no longer holds the soldiers in contempt despite disagreeing with the policies of a particular administration. There were a few Viet Nam era veterans in the audience as well as many current active duty Navy personnell. One of the Viet Nam vets stood and talked about how he was discouraged from wearing his uniform on campus while enrolled in the ROTC program.

One of the good things I believe has taken place in this country is a renewed respect and admiration for our young men and women in uniform. In my opinion, the first Gulf War restored much of the respect in out troops that was taken away from them during the Viet Nam years. The architects of the first Gulf War, Powell, Schwartzkopf, etc. went far in re-establishing public faith and confidence in our military leadership. Coming back to a receptive population is a world apart from what our Korean or Nam vets had to endure.

Gentlemen,

By far the best shooting ever done was done on TV...not in a movie. During the mid-seventies, once a week, Frank Cannon would shoot the gun out of at least one n'er-do-well's hand with his 2 inch barreled .38 Special, from great distance...from the hip, no less. He was a shootin' sumbitch. Never seen shootin' on the screen like that since...

Justin

Justin,

Frank Cannon was a great detective.

I even used his methods to track down a couple of old friends! I kept on asking myself; Now what would Cannon do?

I also liked the Lincoln and the way that big man floated sideways through a doorway.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

By far the best shooting ever done was done on TV...not in a movie. During the mid-seventies, once a week, Frank Cannon would shoot the gun out of at least one n'er-do-well's hand with his 2 inch barreled .38 Special, from great distance...from the hip, no less. He was a shootin' sumbitch. Never seen shootin' on the screen like that since...

Justin

One of the best TV shooting scenes I ever saw was on a Miami Vice episode back in the 1980's. Bad guy draws and fires a Mozambique perfectly in less than 1.5 seconds. As I recall, the shooter (actor) was a something like a master class competition shooter.

I wonder ... yup, found it. Regular speed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-xIssgT-o&feature=related
Slow motion here: http://www.thegunzone.com/software/zubiena.html

Fitch

Cowboy Movies

Once Upon A Time In The West and My Name is Nobody were both good movies. In the first movie I named Henry Fonda was the bad guy.

how about those 2 clowns a man and woman who aimed their pisots sideways. he was a former professional football player.

bob

the book is point of impact...or do we have it backwards....
the author is stephen hunter....most of his books are gun correct...but the latest one had some errors. he has written for the nra magazine.
kick but seldom take names do the right thing and move on...

mik ein co
Gentelmen.

I liked SHOOTER
"A marksman living in exile is coaxed back into action after learning of a plot to kill the president. Ultimately double-crossed and framed for the attempt, he goes on the run to track the real killer and find out who exactly set him up, and why."

Magnus Sigurdsson
Iceland

did you ever see the movie poster for enemy at the gates ??

look closely at the russian rifle.( a 91/30 mosin nagant)..................
its LEFT HAND......
no they don't make left hand 91/30's...buy one can flip a negative(remember those) and get a leftie on paper....

mik ein co
"Enemy at the Gates."

The true story of a duel during World War II between celebrated Russian sniper, Vassili Zaitsev, and the Nazi's best sharpshooter, Major Konig, set against the epic battle of Stalingrad.

Then there is, "The Ghost in the Darkness." Based on the Lions of Tsavo..

The film is based on a true story and during the construction of the bridge, the lions would enter the workers camp to kill. Believing them not to be real lions, the locals name them 'The Ghost' and 'The Darkness'. After losing dozens of workers to the lions, the railroad company brought in Remington, an American 'great white hunter', to kill them, but even his reputation for being the best could not prevent yet more carnage. It is believed that over 130 people were killed by the two lions in just a few months.

Both pretty intense flims. However, my favorite too is "Quigley Down Under!!"

Rod

I remember one scene in a movie years ago when the shootout between the heroine & bad guy was in slow motion.

He was sure unlucky, because Raquel Welsh's pistol was pointing at the ground when she shot him from a quick draw.

John, that was Hannie Calder, where some back town Gunsmith made an entire revolver that didn't run out of bullets untill the film credits ran. Robert Culp played Her mentor.

Terrible movie.

It tickles me when Hollywood gets the weapons of a period all messed up. The worst I ever saw was The Commoncheros, a John Wayne Flick. The band of Texas Rangers were talking about maybe Texas becoming a State, which put the time period many years before the centerfire revolvers and lever action Winchesters that everybody seem to have:confused:.....jackie

Last edited:
Well, to "grade" the thread, I'd have to say this is a good one. There's some very good recommendations in here.

Thanks to Greg Culpepper for the great recommendations on Open Range and Appaloosa. Both are terrific movies. I was really surprised I'd never heard of either. Thanks to Al for recommending Quigley Down Under, that was fun, while not near as serious as either of the above. I find myself watching this stuff till 2am cause I just don't have time lately. I did take an evening for a GREAT book too, that being With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. I'd highly recommend that for, anyone really. I've seen people say it should be required reading in schools, I tend to agree. It might get some folks to get their head out of another orifice when criticizing the military. A great book on "Here's how it IS"

Speaking of "negative flipping".....anyone ever notice the dvd front box cover of "The War Wagon"??

And I had always thought John and Kirk were right handed........

Kevin

Back