BAT 3 vs 2 Lug

I would for sure choose a different stock than a scoville for a true HV rifle. Leonard in some really dense wood would be my choice.

PE,

The last time I spoke with him I did mention I wanted to make a HV and he said that wouldn't be a problem.

However, I'm not 100% positive, but will certainally call him to make sure.

Thanks 1,00,000 for the info

Shinny,

Make sure to tell him that you want a dedicated HV stock, if you are sure that you will never ever use the rifle as a LV. Don´t know if he makes one, but it sure doesn´t hurt to ask.

I understand that the roller cocking piece, that was developed for the three lug, can be ordered on a two lug. I would think that the reduction in bolt lift might be a good thing. Opinions?

Boyd is correct. I have two BAT actions 2 lug that have the roller cocking option. It is super nice!! Very very smooth!! I cant believe this hasn't been copied by any of the other top action makers. I think it is a simple yet genus design! Lee

Boyd is correct. I have two BAT actions 2 lug that have the roller cocking option. It is super nice!! Very very smooth!! I cant believe this hasn't been copied by any of the other top action makers. I think it is a simple yet genus design! Lee

Where did you get the roller cam from...BAT I presume? They don't list them as spares do they? I have a DS that I would dearly love to fit one to.

BJ
I was under the impression that the DS Already had this feature? I will no soon enough, as mine is scheduled for delivery today!! Lee

Mine doesn't have it either. They first came out with it on the 3 lug so the DS's after that might have had it. Mine is S/N 185 I think.

Steve

I picked my new DS up Friday at lunch and mine DOES have the roller cocking piece. Man is this a nice feature, especially on a two lug. The bolt lift is effortless. My serial number is around 1000. One feature that my DS doesn't have, is the brass Colet inside the action threads. Mine looks like any other BAT action. Lee

How much does the additional firing pin weight add, is a used carbide endmill the material to use?
And what about the spring with increased tension where can it be found?

Hare's my 2 cents

I have both bat 3lug and 2lug. I switchbarrel on both of them. I would never buy another 3 lug. My bat m action is so much smoother with less problems. Who cares about another 1" of bolt lift. I shoot 6.5x.284, 6br, .22br, and .30br on the Bat M action.

Although I am not sure that it makes any difference in short range Benchrest, I don't believe that the reason for three lugs, on a target action has anything to do with reducing the degrees of bolt lift. I think it all goes back to some research that Creighton Audette did, using a two lug highpower match rifle, with heavily FL sized brass. I believe that it was a .308. The upshot of it was that when the extremes of case wall thickness (at the back of the case) were oriented in alignment with the lugs, there was less effect than if they were aligned at right angles to the lugs. This supported the idea that with rifles, and ammunition of that type, that the more evenly you could support divide support (lug contact with the reciever) around the case head, the less effect randomly oriented case wall eccentricity would have on overall accuracy. This is why some actions that were designed for prone type shooting have as many as four lugs. There is no issue with disturbing the rifle on the bags with higher bolt lift, and the nature of the ammunition favors that design approach. On the other hand With the typical brass quality and fit that is virtually universal in Benchrest PPCs, it has yet to be conclusively demonstrated that there is an measurable advantage in to be gained by using more than two lugs.

I have both bat 3lug and 2lug. I switchbarrel on both of them. I would never buy another 3 lug. My bat m action is so much smoother with less problems. Who cares about another 1" of bolt lift. I shoot 6.5x.284, 6br, .22br, and .30br on the Bat M action.

Now Tymn...everyone knows "southpaw" opinions don't count since the bolt is on the wrong side of the rifle..:p;)

I would hate to change the subject, but here is something to ponder.

I bought a Diamond Back Drop Port last year for my Rail Gun. The thing shoots great, and that drop port is simply phenominol.

Last week, I decided to take it off the Rail Gun and build a LV-Sporter on it. I chambered up a new Krieger, got it all set up in time to hit the Range Sunday.

The thing shoots really well, I shot some of the best 6mm groups I have shot in a long time. The drop port on a Bag Gun is simply neat. No worrying about cases flying, or not ejecting. Works every time. And, there does not seem to be any "issues" with this action that have to be corrected.

Now I have to get another Diamondback Drop Port for my Rail. .......jackie

Mine is a few years old (S/N #148) and does not have it.

Mine doesn't have it either. They first came out with it on the 3 lug so the DS's after that might have had it. Mine is S/N 185 I think.

The roller was added to 2 lug actions from around 2007. The roller can be sourced as a part and retrofitted. Both my DS actions were serial no’s under 140 and did not come with it as standard, but PVM fitted them both with the roller for me. It is a very nice addition and well worth adding.

Back