Air Rifle Decision

Apollo

Jason Stanley
I would have put this in the air rifle section but I think that is just for benchrest - where this question is geared more toward hunting/control/plinking.
I'm trying to decide on which air rifle to buy to shoot critters. Distances would most likely be under 30 yds, but would be nice/fun to reach out a little further. I don't want to use my .22 cause of the sound level (Bugs Bunny in my garden in town) - yet still need something powerful enough to "do the job" Narrowed it down to

Benjamin Titan GP Nitro Piston http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Titan_GP_Nitro_Piston_Air_Rifle/2603/5329
Gamo Whisper with crossman nitro piston http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Whisper_with_Nitro_Piston/1509/2732

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Stanley

I got a Crosman Nitro Piston in .22cal for the same purpose. The pellet stays subsonic, 1050fps, and you dont get the supersonic crack that you get from a hi powered .177cal. The loudest noise from mine is the pellet hitting the targets.

I agree with the guys saying go 22 (or larger)

Also note that these rifles are NOT accurate in any sense of the word. Having played with all sorts of systems up to 1500.00 suppressed PCP's I've yet to find an air rifle that will hit a squirrel at 50yds. A cheesy $50.00 Stevens 22 with a silencer is much more accurate than even a $3000.00 air rifle.........and less noisy. A suppressed 22RF is more quiet than a suppressed 22PCP

fact

Also MUCH more dangerous in and around town.

Still, I wish there WAS a 1/4moa air rifle with enough power to eliminate pests. I'd buy one regardless of price.

There are many air rifles that will shoot quarter size 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Their triggers are as good as any BR rifle. Their price starts at about $1200; then add a 6.5X20. I am still talking about a springers, but with custom barrels. The under lever or side lever in 20 cal are awesome. The type and make of pellets is very important. I kill ground squirrels with an air rifle all the time. The first shot from a cold gun will usually not go into the group. Temperature sensitive for sure. Suppressors are easy to build for air rifles. IMO neither of those rifles are going to make a BR shooter happy:)

Take a look at the Air Arms 510SL. I have one in .22 cal and I really like it. Quality and accuracy are top notch and it will easily dispatch a rabbit or squirrel at 50 yds.

There are many air rifles that will shoot quarter size 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Their triggers are as good as any BR rifle. Their price starts at about $1200; then add a 6.5X20. I am still talking about a springers, but with custom barrels. The under lever or side lever in 20 cal are awesome. The type and make of pellets is very important. I kill ground squirrels with an air rifle all the time. The first shot from a cold gun will usually not go into the group. Temperature sensitive for sure. Suppressors are easy to build for air rifles. IMO neither of those rifles are going to make a BR shooter happy:)

Quarter sized groups at 50yds is very doable with an air rifle, USELESS, but doable. I didn't say quarter-sized, I said 1/4moa, something I can easily achieve with nearly ANY conventional centerfire rifle up to and including 338 Lapua Mag but which nobody can achieve with an air rifle.

And your statement about triggers says one thing clearly, "You've Never Seen A BR Trigger"

I'm deadly serious, I would pay whatever, $1000, $2000, $3000.00 for an air rifle that would shoot as well as a box stock 30-06 at 50yds.

OP

You can start here: http://www.mac1airgunshop.com

You can also start with either of the two air rifles you have already researched.

The world of powerful precision air rifles is vast and beyond the comprehension of some.

Quality pellets will help to gain accuracy from any air rifle, as will properly seating the pellet. Some even push their pellets through a sizer before shooting them.

As I stated before 20 caliber is recommended for your needs. More mass than the .117 without the loss of velocity of the .22. Your scope must have AO. A quality scope with AO is good for estimating distance. Field Target competitors use that technique all the time (targets are shot at unknown distances).

We just had the Western Nationals Air Rifle Field Target Competition at our local range where I am a Range Safety Officer. If you ever get a chance to observe and talk to these folks it would be a great enlightenment. Nice group of people. I haven't found a Blow Hard in the bunch.

Last edited:
air rifle

Excuse me that was kinda smart butt. The only time I shot air rifles was in a machine shed after dark with a pump up Daisy after sparrows. I know the new ones are a different ball game. Doug

Air Rifles should be a lot less expensive

When one looks them over, there is nothing exotic in them and for them to cost as much or more then, say a Cooper TPR .22 rifle makes my point I believe. I doubt, with today's machines, it would take over two hours to make an Air Rifle action & parts. Barrels are cheap for them, even from Custom Makers. The makers get what the traffic will bear, I realize but they are ridiculously expensive, IMHO.

I don't advocate discharging a weapon in a restricted area. However ...

Air rifles are usually just as illegal to discharge in most urban areas as a firearm, so you need to think about this logically.

A friend eliminates varmints on his property using 22 rimfire "CB Long" loads out of a scoped Marlin lever action. It is surprisingly accurate. The CB's 40-grain slug only runs about 700 fps, so out of that gun it is much quieter than a 1200 fps "magnum" air rifle, but has much more knockdown power. It makes a dull "tonk" sound rather than a piercing "crack", in fact the bullet hitting a rabbit makes almost as much noise as the muzzle blast does.

The main thing (besides having enough accuracy and energy for the job) is to avoid triggering a phone call to the gendarmes. If the 22 is quiet and effective, and no more illegal than the air rifle, you might as well go with the rimfire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug,

Yes some air rifles have triggers as good as a 2 oz Jewell.

I am not talking about air rifles make in Asia.

There are custom barrels, custom made stocks, triggers, custom made action tuning kits, etc.

Because someone doesn't have knowledge of these things does not make them an idiot.

If your only experience is with inexpensive barrel cockers; well then that is your experience. I am answering these question because some folks want knowledge.

Lots of good stuff coming out of Germany and England.

The OP problem is that he needs an accurate and powerful/high velocity air rifle. I recommend a 20 cal, under barrel or side cocker. A Weihraugh Model HW 97 K would be excellent with a super tune by Mac1Air. If he wants one made in Asia, I can not recommend any. I would recommend a trap before recommending any crap;-)

Doug,

Yes some air rifles have triggers as good as a 2 oz Jewell.

I am not talking about air rifles make in Asia.

There are custom barrels, custom made stocks, triggers, custom made action tuning kits, etc.

Because someone doesn't have knowledge of these things does not make them an idiot.

If your only experience is with inexpensive barrel cockers; well then that is your experience. I am answering these question because some folks want knowledge.

Lots of good stuff coming out of Germany and England.

The OP problem is that he needs an accurate and powerful/high velocity air rifle. I recommend a 20 cal, under barrel or side cocker. A Weihraugh Model HW 97 K would be excellent with a super tune by Mac1Air. If he wants one made in Asia, I can not recommend any. I would recommend a trap before recommending any crap;-)

I'm calling you out son.........

NAME ONE, name a trigger "as good as a Jewell" and name an air rifle capable of 1/4moa INDOORS to 50yds.

NAME A SETUP that will actually/factually shoot as good as a KMart Savage in 30-06. Don't give me a bunch of "good stuff from other countries smarter than the USA" crap....... NAME ONE :)

I shoot German and English air rifles

And American air rifles.

Are you actually implying that the Weihrauch series of springer rifles is more accurate than the current PCP's in your experience?

Please, enlighten me with some models and capabilities....... IME currently the most effective hunting airguns on the planet are made right here in the Good Olde US of A, but I'm happy to eat crow, raw, feathers and all if I can be proven wrong, PLEASE tell me where to buy a pellet gun that produces 20+fpe and 1/4moa accuracy for real.

Trigger is easy. Better than a Jewell. Clone of an Anschutz 5065 done with custom machined aluminum and heat treated sear by an exceptional machinist on the west coast.

1/4 MOA at 50 yards, indoors, is tougher since all indoor shooting is at 25 yards. Extrapolate it out. 2mm OD 10 ring, plugged with .224, 750 is commonplace and 59X is USA record. X count record is sure to fall this winter. An X is scored when you wipe out that 2mm OD 10 ring.

Things have come a long way.

Back