XBR Powder

Has anyone checked for excessive carbon fouling after shooting XBR? I started the Super Shoot using it. When they Hawkeye guy looked at my bore I had a LOT of carbon residue. Never had that problem with 133.

James - yes, I shot two teen aggs on Saturday at 100 yards with vintage 8208. BUT Sunday at 200 yards was another story. I hung on (barely) for a 2-gun agg win of .3343. The 200 aggs for all of us made us wonder if we had "the most accurate rifles in the world". :D

Sorry for the mistake. Even though you didn't do it in the hurricane Sunday, that was some great shooting. James

Lou said at the Hog Roast that the new lot coming in is supposed to be faster and like the test lot. Most people I talked to are disappointed in the new XBR8208. Oh well, sold mine.

Hovis

22 Cal.

will trade for Vietnam era "black lookin" real gunpowder !
Joel

Ahhhhh Huuuuummmmm............ Yes.

Dupont IMR8208.................... Da real stuff...

But.......... Those out there with a 22PPC chambering (full length)......Hummmmmm ... XBR looks DARN good @ 3500fps with 52 - 56gr pills..! Burns clean too in this chambering.

cale

I am loading 28 grs of XBR in a 220 Beggs using 52 gr. Cheek or Predator bullets getting right at 3400 fps. with good accuracy. Seems to burn just as clean as the Benchmark I've been using for this chambering. Gonna try it in a match this weekend if I don't chicken out and opt for the 6 PPC.

Rodney

Hey Kevin,
I wonder if Hogdon will take the "ninety something" pounds of the first lot that I bought in trade.??

This is the sort of crap that makes me want to take up bowling. Hogdon brings out a new powder, which is supposed to be a collective effort with some very prominent shooters. They send out some test samples, it shoots great. Then, the stuff that they mass produced is simply not the samer burn rate, and it does not live up to anywhere near the hype.

Of course, the truth only come out AFTER a shooter has dished out about two Grand.......jackie

Last edited:
GG,
XBR is made out of recycled little green plastic army men and it's not worth a crap!
I personally challenge any one from the IMR powder company to respond to my trashing of their latest "super powder". Send your best man,8lbs of xbr, a state of the art rifle and scope and show me how this stuff wont spit a shot if you stop your group after three shots and wait 30-45 seconds to continue your group.
Joel

i sure am glad i only have 4 pounds of the stuff. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if i had 95lb of it and it didnt shoot for me. Mine are all in 1lb containers that i got when it first came out. I havent even messed with it yet. I figured that the 133 is working pretty well so i have stuck with it. I will try it though. just havent gotten the opportunity yet. What was the lot number on the faster first lot? Maybe i will be lucky enough to have that lot. Lee

GG,
XBR is made out of recycled little green plastic army men and it's not worth a crap!
I personally challenge any one from the IMR powder company to respond to my trashing of their latest "super powder". Send your best man,8lbs of xbr, a state of the art rifle and scope and show me how this stuff wont spit a shot if you stop your group after three shots and wait 30-45 seconds to continue your group.
Joel
So exactly how do you feel about it?
What are your gut emotions? Don't hold back. It's good for the soul to let it all out.

I don't think it is quite that bad. It's just to slow for the cartridge. I've shot a number of good groups both slow and fast but it just takes to much of it to get the job done and it doesn't do it any better than the other stuff.
If anyone in Central Texas wants to get rid of theirs I will pay 12 bucks a pound for it. At that price I'll get it to work.

Well Ted, why don't you offer to buy silver at $6 an ounce. Makes about as much sense. I have 16lbs and I am going to make it work in something if not a 6ppc. lol.

Donald

The new stuff is not a TOTAL waste. It IS good for weed control on fencelines.

GG,
". Send your best man,8lbs of xbr, a state of the art rifle and scope and show me how this stuff wont spit a shot if you stop your group after three shots and wait 30-45 seconds to continue your group.
Joel

Joel, name powder, any powder, you will let sit in a hot chamber and cook for 30-45 seconds and feel confident that next shot will go in the group..

GG,
Joel

Joel,
We must first clarify definitions:

BR Shooters definition of "Super Powder" : A powder that fits within a burn rate necessary, is not to finicky during temp changes and agg's to a competitive level.

Powder Compaies definition of "Super Powder" : Powder that they sell a load of through crafty promotions.

Hovis

i sure am glad i only have 4 pounds of the stuff. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if i had 95lb of it and it didnt shoot for me. Mine are all in 1lb containers that i got when it first came out. I havent even messed with it yet. I figured that the 133 is working pretty well so i have stuck with it. I will try it though. just havent gotten the opportunity yet. What was the lot number on the faster first lot? Maybe i will be lucky enough to have that lot. Lee

Lee,

What is the lot # on your XBR? You might have the good stuff. :)

I'm keeping mine. Forty years from now it will be worth a fortune---UNOBTANIUM IS THE KEY TO GOOD POWDER.

Mine is lot 4736 whats the scoop? Do i have the good stuff? LOL!!! If so, just enough to tees me for a while. Its a shame this powder isnt what it was hoped to be. I was really reluctant to get involved with the ppc so early in my rifle career, but after getting pumped up about this super powder i figured it would be a piece of cake. The truth is, even with n133 i dont find it all that troublesome. Actually i have come to really enjoy it! The ppc and 30BR are my favorites and i simply cant get enough. Maybe they will try again with the 8208. I will use what i have to shoot coyotes if it doesnt shoot in my ppc, so it will get used one way or another. Lee

Well Ted, why don't you offer to buy silver at $6 an ounce. Makes about as much sense. I have 16lbs and I am going to make it work in something if not a 6ppc. lol.

Donald

Don,
I figured the prospect of letting it go for 1/2 price might make guys appreciate what they had.

I wonder if the rest of those folks expressing opinions of the powder (good and/or bad) would be nice enough to post the lot# with which they had the good or bad experience? I just got some and it seems to be working ok, but I am just beginning testing loads, in a couple cartridges, mainly the 6BR norma. I'd like to stop wasting my time--if I am. The last I heard about it it was going to be the best super powder ever and was faster than a speeding--well it was gonna be real good...................

Last edited by a moderator:
Back