We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

On the dyno with the 440" SBC proved rewarding. Baseline pull as it came from the engine builder was 863 h.p. After two solid days juggling jetting, air bleeds, fuels, timing, carb spacers and the vacuum pump it ended up making consecutive pulls at 975 h.p. yesterday :cool:. It will make 1,000 h.p. with a bit more finessing but these last little bits are damn hard won. We'll leave it to the owner if he wants us to to continue to the four digit mark.

We still have cam timing, race oil and few other tricks left in the bag if need be. ;) ;) ;) -Al

Last edited:
More gains today by tweaking valve lash, oil and the carb intermediate air bleeds to help it make a smoother transition into the main metering circuits. The owner is a happy, happy man and the engine is safe and reliable at this point. -Al

Io2Ffu8h.jpg

Last edited:
Al.......

I recall an old saying...."Although women may not find you handsome......they should at least find you handy". :eek:

"I resemble that remark".......(per Norm Crosby) ;)

Kevin

Had it been mine, I would have arm wrestled it, beat the livin' snot out of it, kicked it until it bled, lied to it, slept with it, bought it diamonds and jewels....whatever it would have taken to get another 14 h.p. and make it to 1,000. :eek:

I still didn't sleep well knowing it had been that close.

Just sayin'...... ;) -Al

Dwz89J2l.jpg

Last edited:
Photo_2021-04-24_170919.jpg

This photo shows a Buick Dealership in Iowa. Not sure what year this is. Early 30 something?

Both cars are leaking oil on the showroom floor. With the car on the right, the oil appears to be partially covered by a low tire.

My mother-in-law who has since passed was from Iowa. I wasn't her favorite son-in-law but she gave it to me anyway.

Mort

View attachment 24577

This photo shows a Buick Dealership in Iowa. Not sure what year this is. Early 30 something?

Both cars are leaking oil on the showroom floor. With the car on the right, the oil appears to be partially covered by a low tire.

My mother-in-law who has since passed was from Iowa. I wasn't her favorite son-in-law but she gave it to me anyway.

Mort

You know why the Brits have never produced a computer?

They couldn't make one that would leak oil

Shock System

Al, can you identify the system on the front of the front springs? I used to call them knee action but not sure anymore .I couldn't find a clarification on the net that answered my question.

Mort

Good to hear from you again.

Last edited:
A local motorcycle shop was dealer for BSA, Triumph and Yamaha. Yamaha made a close copy of the 650cc British bikes in the late 60s or early 70s. i can remember seeing oil under both of the brand new British bikes, and the very first year of the 650 Yamaha no leaks.

View attachment 24577

Mort

How about the 1922 era?

Oily reply

A local motorcycle shop was dealer for BSA, Triumph and Yamaha. Yamaha made a close copy of the 650cc British bikes in the late 60s or early 70s. i can remember seeing oil under both of the brand new British bikes, and the very first year of the 650 Yamaha no leaks.

ebb, Boy I hear you there! I have owned many British motorcycles and have one now ,a 75 Norton 850 Interstate. All, and I mean all, leaked oil. That combined with their terrible Lucas electrical systems made them a maintenance nightmare. I got my first Japanese motorcycle a Honda dream and was astonished that it didn't leak. Alas, I no longer ride and the Norton is sitting in the shop under cover for years now. It has been restored with an electronic ignition. It still leaks oil.

lucas electrical

ebb, Boy I hear you there! I have owned many British motorcycles and have one now ,a 75 Norton 850 Interstate. All, and I mean all, leaked oil. That combined with their terrible Lucas electrical systems made them a maintenance nightmare. I got my first Japanese motorcycle a Honda dream and was astonished that it didn't leak. Alas, I no longer ride and the Norton is sitting in the shop under cover for years now. It has been restored with an electronic ignition. It still leaks oil.

Do you know why the English drink warm beer? Lucas also makes refrigerators.

Back