We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Ford

View attachment 22738

I'm not talking disc....most of the early fords had mechanical brakes. The common conversion used 40 Ford juice brakes. The parts were all available at the local junkyard. I heard
It was a simple conversion but have no personal experience.

Peterson's dad was an early hot rodder and helped him with this.

I thought it was cool then ...and still do.

Mort

went with hydraulic brakes, at least in the truck line, in mid 1936.

Another pic of Peterson's Ford. Check out the valve covers...Edmonds. They made these for Chevy 6: Caddy , Y block Fords and many others.2019-07-21_165737.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-07-21_165737.jpg
    2019-07-21_165737.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Last edited:
Smoke

Car manufacturers have long been willing to blow a little smoke up the publics a.. to justify what they are selling......Just the way it is.

Thanks for the info.

Mort

Anybody remember this?

If I remember correctly this was a set of Ardun heads on an 8BA block, Hilborn injectors, Vertex magneto, Cad LaSalle trans, and a Halibrand quick change rear diff.
This was at a shooter's place.

Yes, a flathead Ford with Hemi type OHV conversion Ardun heads-ARkus DUNtov. As I understand it Johnny was a former Porsche dealer. He was an engineer and was the "man" for the Rodriquez Porsche Formula 1 team. The second floor of his huge barn was full of 4 cam 4 cyl. Porsche engines and parts.
An extra set of Ardun heads

One of Johnny's old 6 cyl Porsche racing long blocks.
33m62dz.jpg

Wish he was still with us.

Flathead Water Pump

Butch
Did you indentify the block from the water pump? That would be my guess. I helped/hindered two high school buddies drop a 53 Merc in a 37 2 door sedan. Cooling was never mentioned....it was the additional cubes. I'm sure he had to change the radiator. Easy enough.

Mort

Last edited:
Hey Butch, the Ardun Flathead Conversion was the ultimate example of pouring perfume on a pig.

I have no idea how many sets of those were made, but I can remember seeing two in my earlier years, one owned by one of Richard Warwicks mechanics.

I think the whole idea was to make use of the millions of flathead blocks that were available.

Jackie

There have been one or two improved versions of that head offered . One not that long ago. Pretty pricy and not many takers.

Mort

People your age shouldn't be up this late.

Last edited:
Jackie

There have been one or two improved versions of that head offered . One not that long ago. Pretty pricy and not many takers.

Mort

People your age shouldn't be up this late.

Mort, We are still in Greeley Colorado after shooting the Score Nationals. I just got up this morning, we are leaving at 5:00 AM for Houston. The wife is getting ready, I'm enjoying a cup of coffee.

Back to work Monday.

Actually Mr Duntov originally produced them for Ford trucks for more power. Yeah, the originals and the clones are very pricey. It is a nostalgia thing now as cheaper horsepower is out there.

0021.JPG

50 years ago this was my weekend office . It was noisey as hell and really fun to drive.

Mort

0002.jpg

This is a friends car at the Vacaville drag strip now closed.

What I want to show here is no trailer...most of us never had a trailer, that all came later.

The trick thing was free wheeling hubs. I don't remember them being available on a commercial basis. You had them made or made your own.

You went to the junkyard and cut two front spindles off of the car of your choice...weld them to a plate to be drilled with the bolt pattern of your rear end.

Chuck the spindle, turn the od.on the plate and face the back so it was true with the spindle or close enough.

I did one for the Gasser and one for someone I owed a favor too.

I did this at the shipyard on my own time after hours. The electricity I used was totally lost in the noise. Sounds crude but it worked.

Mort

The pretty lady is my wife....she is still a fox.

Last edited:
My days were in the early 60s and forward. Living in Texas most of my life I followed Don Hardy and his car builds, Dickie Harrell, Don Gay, Kelly Chadwick, Gene Snow, and a friend, Roger Caster and his beautiful 66 Chevy Nova called Sump 'In' Else. Roger was in cahoots with Grady Bryant. I believe Grady became an attorney and author. I need to check my library as I believe Grady wrote a very entertaining book on match racing in the 60s. Tells of the days that needing a rear end, they rented a truck with a 9" and swapped out the rear end and returned the truck complaining about it having a bad diff. One guy put lead weights in the frame rails to transfer the weight to the rear on initial acceleration and many more cheats and the old psychology of working an opponents mind.
I will search it out and post the info.

Crewed at Brainerd, Mn. last week on my pal's Competition Eliminator A/SM Cobalt that I'd posted some pics of earlier....here's a couple of shots from there:

-The grey Kia Soul (rt) goes under the race car in the stacker trailer.
B0uqwiGh.jpg

-After every run, the clutch data gets downloaded. Here, my hands are getting 'in the can' from where a dial indicator is used to measure clutch disc wear and add/subtract clutch base pressure and/or counterweight to the clutch assy, based on what the RacePak data shows, what the temperature is doing, how the track temp is doing and the orientation of various chicken bones and bat wings that get scattered about. ;) Science, technology, experience and intuition colliding....
uUCfZVch.jpg

-John Force getting ready. He turned to me and said "I just don't wanna' f&@k this up." :D
WOOnKxGh.jpg

My days were in the early 60s and forward. Living in Texas most of my life I followed Don Hardy and his car builds, Dickie Harrell, Don Gay, Kelly Chadwick, Gene Snow, and a friend, Roger Caster and his beautiful 66 Chevy Nova called Sump 'In' Else. Roger was in cahoots with Grady Bryant. I believe Grady became an attorney and author. I need to check my library as I believe Grady wrote a very entertaining book on match racing in the 60s. Tells of the days that needing a rear end, they rented a truck with a 9" and swapped out the rear end and returned the truck complaining about it having a bad diff. One guy put lead weights in the frame rails to transfer the weight to the rear on initial acceleration and many more cheats and the old psychology of working an opponents mind.
I will search it out and post the info.

I have heard of these racers and have seen most of them at big meets. I may have slides of thieir cars that i can download. My son has alot of my stuff. I won't see hin until Xmas so it may take awhile.

Any stories you can post would be great.

Mort

Crewed at Brainerd, Mn. last week on my pal's Competition Eliminator A/SM Cobalt that I'd posted some pics of earlier....here's a couple of shots from there:

-The grey Kia Soul (rt) goes under the race car in the stacker trailer.
B0uqwiGh.jpg

-After every run, the clutch data gets downloaded. Here, my hands are getting 'in the can' from where a dial indicator is used to measure clutch disc wear and add/subtract clutch base pressure and/or counterweight to the clutch assy, based on what the RacePak data shows, what the temperature is doing, how the track temp is doing and the orientation of various chicken bones and bat wings that get scattered about. ;) Science, technology, experience and intuition colliding....
uUCfZVch.jpg

-John Force getting ready. He turned to me and said "I just don't wanna' f&@k this up." :D
WOOnKxGh.jpg

Great photos as usual and a storyline to boot.
Thanks

Mort

Last edited:
Mort, I didn't know that Grady had written several books. The one that I meant to mention was Match Race Madness.
About Grady Bryant:

About Grady Bryant
After one year of college Grady found he could not control his restlessness and moved on to more exciting projects. He joined the army and after completing his aptitude testing for the military he was trained for assignments that suited his call for high adventure. When discharged he turned to driving race cars and was immediately picked up by Chevrolet to help develop several concepts of the muscle care era. After a successful ten years of driving, promotion, and handling motor sports teams Grady quit and returned to college and earned a law degree. He practiced criminal law until sickened by the legitimacy of the system and returned to what he knew best, driving race cars. Grady was immediately hired to drive for corporations such as Chrysler, Levi's, Matco Tools, and his last ride was with Adolph Coors Corp. Being a syndicated writer for several motor sports publications led him to write his first book about the early days of drag racing, "Match Race Madness." It relates to the early days of racing and is considered to have a cult following and is frequently quoted in motor sports editorials. Unbeknownst to himself he was continuously preparing to be an action adventure writer, encompassing his travels and adventures into fiction, which is manifested in all his books.
If I can find it I will loan it to you if you wish.

Back