Unlimited Rail Gun Enthusiast ?

Rail Guns

Here are a few Designs from Down here in Texas. These are a perfect example of "Unlimited", A freedom of expression like in no other BR Class. I don't know who all the builders are,but you can get an idea of some of the design concepts. When all rail gun designs evolve to the point of "Look A-Likes" its time to rethink the Class title,"Unlimited". My opinion of course.

Mike Bryant,Larry Baggett, John Horn(Owner)

Jerry Hensler(Owner/Designer

Dont remember the owner

Last edited:
Glenn,
IMO, the success of such a venture would depend entirely on having a large enough number of people that would put a sustained effort into the necessary writing and photography. I have enjoyed the pictures on this thread, have taken and posted a few myself in the past, but without a sustained effort what will happen will be the production of an web album, rather than an active site. This is not to say that an album would not be a great thing, it would, but to make a web site sufficiently interesting to have a continuing draw, I think that more would be required. This is just one idea, but if there were pictures of the details of rails shown with the top off of the base, shot from various angles, and discussion of how they were built, and different approaches to the various design elements, I think that a continuing discussion would be more likely. Personally, I would love to see this. In the past, several editors have had some trouble getting the material that they wanted to publish about matches, that is why I said what I did about being realistic. It was based on past performance. IMO changing this is at the core of promoting benchrest. If there was more out there on the internet, I think that it would tend to draw more people into the sport. The trick is to produce material that non benchrest sites find suitable to publish, and/or point to with links and commentary. IMO this is the key.

Boyd

Glenn,
IMO, the success of such a venture would depend entirely on having a large enough number of people that would put a sustained effort into the necessary writing and photography. I have enjoyed the pictures on this thread, have taken and posted a few myself in the past, but without a sustained effort what will happen will be the production of an web album, rather than an active site. This is not to say that an album would not be a great thing, it would, but to make a web site sufficiently interesting to have a continuing draw, I think that more would be required. This is just one idea, but if there were pictures of the details of rails shown with the top off of the base, shot from various angles, and discussion of how they were built, and different approaches to the various design elements, I think that a continuing discussion would be more likely. Personally, I would love to see this. In the past, several editors have had some trouble getting the material that they wanted to publish about matches, that is why I said what I did about being realistic. It was based on past performance. IMO changing this is at the core of promoting benchrest. If there was more out there on the internet, I think that it would tend to draw more people into the sport. The trick is to produce material that non benchrest sites find suitable to publish, and/or point to with links and commentary. IMO this is the key.

Boyd

Again…… Unless I misunderstood. Wilbur asked for ideas not predictions.

The “Success “of a Web Site is a relative term. Its not always based on numbers(Forum Participation)

Some would call the “Humor section” a success ,if success was based on numbers of Posts.

BR.Com would be the perfect place for a dedicated unlimited section,and the most direct approach to attracting new Shooters. I’m not a crystal ball type person. I am a Rail Gun Enthusiast. It took a while, but my friends here in the Gulf Coast region convinced me that I was missing out on a whole lot of fun if I didn’t buy one. Boy, were they correct. I’m working with my second Rail Gun now,and having a ball.

Thanks to my buddies here in the GCR.

We have a good number of Rail Gun enthusiasts here in Texas. I suspect this is the case throughout the Country. If the Web Site doesn’t work to expected satisfaction, how much trouble would it be to thrash it.
PS...Do you own a Rail Gun?

“Nothing ventured,Nothing gained”

Glenn

My impression is that two distinctly different things are being discussed, a web site, and a forum on this site. I would be in favor of either or both. My comments were more to the former, rather than the latter, which would probably be more realistic. No, I do not have a rail gun, but I have published a number of pictures, so that others may become interested and learn about them, and I have also offered information about different design details for the same reason.

Boyd

Lawrence W & Chism G
Thank you for the great post, link & pictures, this is the kind of stuff I feel goes unnoticed unless expressed in such a forum.
I personally think there is more than enough interest to make such a venture successful. I know Texas, Colorado, and the North West are hot beds for Unlimited Rail guns, and I think the rest of the country would follow suit if given the opportunity. I again want to thank Wilbur for even considering this.

Think about it like this, it's shooting season and look at the interest we have stirred up right now, wait till winter when everyone has cabin fever and looking for something to do?

I personally would do what ever I'm able, to help promote support and see it grow. I've talked to quite a few Rail gun shooters from Colorado and man they have a bunch, and it's very good to see the competition level. I just sold my RFD Rail to a shooter out west and that part of the country is getting stacked as far as the level of shooters and rails ( my opinion ). I know those guys shoot in Tx, Az as well.

I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag while I'm posting. I just bought a Skip Otto Rail, and I can't wait to get it back here and set up. I'm like a kid in the candy store. LOL! I hope to have pictures and will try to keep the new site updated with our progress. There is a lot of history behind this particular rail and I look forward to sharing it with other like minded shooters.

Thank you again, I've appreciated all your posts that have supported the idea.

Rich Henderson

Last edited:
No, I do not have a rail gun, but I have published a number of pictures, so that others may become interested and learn about them, and I have also offered information about different design details for the same reason.

Boyd

Feel free to offer information about the different designs in the photos. I would like to know myself and I suspect that others would too.
I own a Rail Gun but I dont have a clue. Your knowledge of Rail Gun Designs could possibly steer somebody towards buying one of these toys.

Glenn

Last edited:
I really liked the pictures. Could you get some of just the bases, shot from a couple of different angles? I think that they would be very helpful as far as discussions are concerned. One thing that I have seen that I have written about is the practice of using a barrel block that has been bored to a cylinder inside, used in conjunction with some sort of plastic sleeve around the barrel, and very light clamping force. I think that this is a significant development that others might want to take note of.

I really liked the pictures. Could you get some of just the bases, shot from a couple of different angles? I think that they would be very helpful as far as discussions are concerned. One thing that I have seen that I have written about is the practice of using a barrel block that has been bored to a cylinder inside, used in conjunction with some sort of plastic sleeve around the barrel, and very light clamping force. I think that this is a significant development that others might want to take note of.

No chance of getting different angles. I borrowed the photos from Turk Takano.

"One thing that I have seen that I have written about is the practice of using a barrel block that has been bored to a cylinder inside, used in conjunction with some sort of plastic sleeve around the barrel, and very light clamping force. I think that this is a significant development that others might want to take note "

What makes this a significant development compared to any other design?

Glenn

DSCN0730.jpgblack red 8.jpgDSCN1063.jpgblack red 9.jpg

Here is a few, The black one is Left Handed...

Glen, my opinion on the oval barrel block clamp is it's more consistent pressure or the clamping pressure is distributed equally over a greater surface. ? Larger clamping / bearing surface, just my thoughts, but you are right, it's made a big difference.

On the pictures they are great, please thank Turk for me. I love looking at all these great photo's of Rail guns, it kinda gets your mind flowing and thinking about why they did what they did. You are right, the Unlimited Railgun is the sky is the limit. A if you can think it try it mentality, which I love and think is very healthy for advancing the class. I've been told by several shooters that have been involved with rails for some time, that the earliest Rails were built out of wood, or on wood rail tracks, thus giving them the name rail gun. I used to have an old photo of Ferris or Fred standing next to an early Rail with wood tracks / frame? I wish I could find it again, I would be happy to post if but seem to have misplaced it, I'll keep looking, it was a real cool photo.

Thanks again for sharing the photos and your thoughts, ideas on such an amazing Class of Bench Rest Rifle.
I've enjoyed the conversations and who knows maybe this thing will come together better than anyone expected.

Rich Henderson

John Jones

The Rail Gun pictured below was designed and built by John Jones back in the 1980's.

John took this Rail Gun to the NBRSA Nationals,Held in South Carolina,in 1985-1986. He won the UL Grand. This Rail was a hernia making hunk of metal. I saw it at a match at Tomball,Tx. Photo courtesy of Turk Takano.
http://www.benchshot.com/

Glenn

Last edited:
Ocock has had a pretty hot hand with his rail in the last few years, and that is the type of block that he uses. I am not saying that it is the best, just that based on his results, it seems to have a lot to recommend it.

Great picts. One qustion why are the guides and bearings Derlin on steel friction bearing not some more free running rolling ball or similar steel bearings . Does it have something to do with vibration dampening?

We are looking for a return to absolute zero and a free rolling ball bearing that can build up a layer of lubricant on both sides would probably be counterproductive to the return to absolute zero.

Ok , i taugth it was about vibrations and i would think that even unlubricated thrust ball bearing would roll much freely than a lubricated derlin friction bearing.

My tool maker friend that helps me with my rail gun build showed me bunch of bearings they use and compared to derlin ther are realy free spining plus last thousands upon thousands of cycles in tooling presses.

Rail guns are probably not shot that much but does Derlin 'nipple' wear much in use.

I had a chance to buy that fancy rail Glenn pictured at the SuperShoot once upon a time...could have been another but I don't think so. It's a pretty fancy rig!

Last edited:
Mr. T - there's no problem with the delrin. Using some type of bearing just costs more and doesn't do any better.

Again - there is no problem with delrin slides on a rail gun.

To answer your question concerning wear, it doesn't matter. Ten shots plus sighters won't make much difference. :)

Last edited:
Back