Thoughts on New NORMA 6PPC Brass

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
So how many have had the pleasure of trying it besides Lou?

The only thing I wonder after watching the short video on 6mmBr is he says the measured neck with a flat base bullet was in the .265 dia area. He said he shot it in a .270 neck and everything appears okay.

What are your thoughts on shooting it with that clearance and Lou mentioning that the brass is slightly thinner than Lapua?

If you give it a skim cut with your neck turner then you maybe are down to a .264 diameter.

I would say it would be better suited to those still shooting a .261 or .262 neck where now maybe you could cut necks with one pass.

Thoughts.

I am not questioning his reputation I just am wondering what some others my feel...

Calvin

Calvin

About the only complaint with Norma in the past was it simply would not with stand the pressures that we shoot in 100-200 yard Benchrest. If Norma has not changed the alloy, I see no reason that this will change. But, since this is "new" Norma, they probably have addressed this issue. Lou seems to say that they have.

Also, I use a .269 neck, which means at .265, that is .004 clearance. That seems a tad loose.

Lapua's 220 Russian is still going to be hard to beat. Granted, it does take some effort to finally arrive at a 6PPC, but once you get there, the effort seems worth it.

But, as Lou said,this is another instance were the market place has dictated a change. We are seeing a lot of this, better products be presented by manufacturers to satisfy the customer. Perhaps this will entice Lapua to bring out an honest to goodness 6PPC Lapua case as well. ........jackie

Last edited:
Norma brass

I shoot a .268" neck, and can`t wait till it becomes available. Someone at the Shot Show should find out who the Norma distributor is. I`ve checked the website and found nothing.

I`m guessing that the .267"and .268" chamber will become very popular!

Jeff

About the only complaint with Norma in the past was it simply would not with stand the pressures that we shoot in 100-200 yard Benchrest.
If Norma has not changed the alloy, I see no reason that this will change. But, since this is "new" Norma, they probably have addressed this issue. Lou seems to say that they have.
Jackie, was this a matter of alloy, or a "work hardness" issue. Brass gets harder with working. I remember reading that the entire case (including the head) has to be annealed at some point(s) during the drawing process. At some point, the head is no longer annealed, just the "mouth." I'd always assumed this was the difference between Lapua and other manufacturer's, not the alloy. Do you know for sure?

Jackie, was this a matter of alloy, or a "work hardness" issue. Brass gets harder with working. I remember reading that the entire case (including the head) has to be annealed at some point(s) during the drawing process. At some point, the head is no longer annealed, just the "mouth." I'd always assumed this was the difference between Lapua and other manufacturer's, not the alloy. Do you know for sure?

It will be a dual issue. The metallurgy will respond a certain way to heating/cooling and working. The alloys and percentile (similar to a witches potion) are the basis. Lets hope they altered the alloy to give more suitable mechanical properties...

I dont know a lot about this, but it seems to me this is a really good thing that Norma is doing. Wouldnt a fella still want to take a couple thou off the necks to insure trueness? When my barrel wears out i will have a new barrel chambered somewhere around .265 and have the necks turned a couple thou. Or maybe this new Norma brass will be good enough that you wont need to?? Time will tell.
Why hasn't Lapua made a true 6ppc case. That would have to be a gold mine! Is it a legal issue or what?

Thoughts on the new NORMA Brass

Usually Lou is right.
He managed to wangel the new 8208 XBR
I think he's really putting something back into the sport.

I'm just wondering what the price will be.
I checked on some 7.7 jap brass from NORMA and was
sticker shocked.'''''''

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps this will entice Lapua to bring out an honest to goodness 6PPC Lapua case as well. ........jackie

Scary..!............ Lapua... Don't change a thing... Or at least keep .220 Russian the way it is........... The new ammo boxes coming out is Way COOL:)

cale

Sinclair News Letter/FYI

Charles,

I received this Norma 6ppc brass info this morning.

Norma Precision

The 6 PPC brass from Norma is back and will be stronger and longer lasting than before. We are looking forward to seeing this brass in the next couple of months. We’ll be adding some target bullets from the Norma line soon along with some of their super accurate ammunition

Skeetlee

"Why hasn't Lapua brought out a true 6PPC Case"

The answer is, they do not have to. Up untill now, there really was not a viable alternative to using the 220 Russian, (considering how Benchrest has evolved).

There might be a libility problem. Benchrest Shooters tend to abuse cases. If a shooter experiences a catostrophic occurance now with a 6PPC, Lapua can simply say, "we don't make a 6PPC".

This new Norma offerring will have to be darned good to top the Lapua. As with most things, the future will hold the truth........jackie

Thoughts on the new NORMA Brass

Originally SAKO were the first cases.
Didn't they have to pay a royalty to doc Palmasano and Ferris Pindell?
Has something changed? Anyway if the prices are similar i would order some.

There is one other thing going on that nobody else seems to be saying. The current Lapua 220 Russian brass is not what it used to be. I'm not saying that it is no good. My experience in the past few years has not been as good as in the past. This may help change that. Many may also remember that Lapua dropped the price significantly on the 220 Russian brass at one time in the past. We then seemed to get what we were paying for.

I beleive Russ is exactly right. I really watch brass and there is a huge difference between Lapua brass now and 10 or so years ago. And from lot to lot now, some of it isn't really even usable. Everyone I think takes from granted the accuracy of the PPC's. If you don't believe me. I can set a person up with two lots of brass...one great...one crap. You can barely get .200 groups out of the crap.

Hovis

Some lots will have concave or convex heads. Wall thickness runout problems, huge flashhole burrs not a problem if you take care of them), off center flash holes. Lots with one or multiple problems listed above. Some are so long that you have to trim .030 off to get into chamber. I have learned to become a lot more picky about looking at the brass I use since I ran into a lot that was convex that after two firings, you couldn't seat primers. They would deform badly before you could get them in.

Hovis

Everyone I think takes from granted the accuracy of the PPC's. If you don't believe me. I can set a person up with two lots of brass...one great...one crap. You can barely get .200 groups out of the crap.

Hovis

Manalive, I couldn't agree with this more! I wish more people would learn how to distinguish, make and maintain accurate brass. Fewer barrels, scopes and even complete rifles would be returned to mfgr if more folks could make good cases.

al

Some lots will have concave or convex heads. Wall thickness runout problems, huge flashhole burrs not a problem if you take care of them), off center flash holes. Lots with one or multiple problems listed above. Some are so long that you have to trim .030 off to get into chamber. I have learned to become a lot more picky about looking at the brass I use since I ran into a lot that was convex that after two firings, you couldn't seat primers. They would deform badly before you could get them in.

Hovis

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I have wondered why...after all these years...that Lapua hasn't offered almost ready to use 6PPC...! Really! Almost no one uses it..and the vast majority of shooters use 220 Russian...as it is sold...Right?

Suckers!!!!

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark

Suckers??, The 220 Russian, when formed into the 6PPC, becomes, (arguably), the most accurate chambering on the Planet.

Life would be easier if Lapua simply made a 6PPC out of the box. But then, why don't they make a 30BR right out of the box. The last time I looked, the 30BR was becoming quite popular. If this score thing really takes off, it might become as popular as the 6PPC as far as number of rounds fired a year in a Benchrest Arena.

There have been problems in the past. About 6 years ago, the faces of the cases had a pretty pronounced convex, after several firings at the pressures we shoot, you could hardly seat a primer. For a while, many of us were lightly facing the case head square as part of out prep. It cured the problem, but it should never have been a problem in the first place.........jackie

Back