The dreaded 2 and 1................

OK a question and a half.
I put the loop portion of velcro on my front rest running side to side to help with friction and softness.
1 Is it legal?
1/2 shouldnt that also work in putting over the stitching area on a rear bag?

I also got a DR bag last year... great but the only problem I have with it is I sometimes hit the right front corner with my hand and have even found my hand resting on it if I didnt pay attention.

Vern, do you have a pic of your setup?

Just my thoughts Vern. The soft side of velcro on the ears of the front bag or the stitching of the rear bag are no different than when you see guys using Powder or Carnuba wax, used Bounce sheets, or spraying the bag with a Silicone spray. I do not ever recall reading anything in the rules about using any of those products or items.

Again just my thought,

Calvin

Velcro was against the nbrsa rules for a few years in 600/1000 yard benchrest.I don't know if that applies to 100/200 or not.
I believe in 2011 the velcro ban was removed but don't quote me on that one.I know a shooter who was using it but I don't think he posts here.

Wilbur and GoodGrouper
I don't think anyone should ever be banned from contributing what they see or find out while shooting.I do think some posts need to be deleted and not allowed to continue on.I think the ignore list is magical.
Lynn

Grouper no I dont have any pics as of the moment.
It is a sinclair base with a Shade tree top
The back bag is a DR bag.
I put the velcro on the bottom flat of the front bag not on the ears or sides.
I was wondering about whether it is legal and if it would help to put it on the stitching between the ears on the DR bag.
FWIW If and when I shoot registered matches they are usually NBRSA otherwise I mostly shoot the club matches.
Right now I dont have time or money to travel to all the matches.

Last edited:
While we are at it, I asked in a post one time what the actual distance the standard PPC BR Rifle moves from the moment the trigger is pulled until the bullet actually exits the barrel.
The answer the fella came up with after all the math was done was less than .3"
That being the case, if it was correct there is less than 1/2" of movement from the gun that can affect the bullet everything else has no affect on where the bullet will hit.
Wouldnt that be a correct statement?

While we are at it, I asked in a post one time what the actual distance the standard PPC BR Rifle moves from the moment the trigger is pulled until the bullet actually exits the barrel.
The answer the fella came up with after all the math was done was less than .3"
That being the case, if it was correct there is less than 1/2" of movement from the gun that can affect the bullet everything else has no affect on where the bullet will hit.
Wouldnt that be a correct statement?

Vern,

My rule book is the revised edition #36 from 2004, but I see nothing in it restricting the velcro for LV/HV/SP/HTR use. There is a sentence that says "tape" is allowed on the sandbag so I think most RO's at a local match would probably let velcro fly. Somebody at a bigger match might have something to say about it but all you would have to tell them is, "find it in the rule book".
The rules for 1000 yard however, say that tape cannot exceed .011" total thickness.

As to the movement of the gun, it depends on many things. You plug the bullet weight, powder weight, and exact gun weight into the formula and get a certain number. But that number just tells you how far the gun would move unsupported. In the real world, you have to factor in drag of your bags, side tension (if any) on your rest, and how far you have your shoulder from the butt. Also, you have to figure centerline of the bore and it's relation to the riding surfaces of the stock (not all guns point the same place even if they may use the same stocks and actions) if you want to figure movement/impact points. Then there's torque effect from the riflings too. A gun that "hops" more off the front bag will also generally torque further to the right (RH twist) as well. So there is a whole bunch of different things that will determine how far rearward your gun moves, and anybody who's ever tried shooting free recoil can tell you that they all will affect where your bullet imprints.

Next time you're at the range and have your gun tuned, try shooting your gun free recoil with some side tension on your front bag. Then take some silicon spray and coat your bags. Then loosen your side tension and take another shot. See where the two bullets go. Then fire another shot with your shoulder moderately pressed up against the butt. See where that bullet goes. You will find it interesting!

Another thing along these lines to consider: because our stocks are legally limited to a certain amount of taper on the underside, they are pointing higher and higher as they move back, and they are doing this while the bullet is just leaving the crown. A rail gun, on the other hand, does not have this motion. It comes straight back and is usually much heavier (more mass) and has a stiffer (fatter) barrel. So many folks have witnessed that these guns seem to have less wind drift (all else being equal) because the bullet is allowed to "go to sleep" faster from the crown of a rail gun. That being considered, it's amazing just how well we can actually get bag guns to shoot!

I'd sure like to see the NBRSA and IBS adopt the stock configuration rules for LV, HV, SP, HTR that they have for the 1000 yard LG and HG. Straight stocks, front to back. No taper. I think it would make it lots easier to find the right bag setup, and I think we'd see the aggs shrink a bit. But it probably won't ever happen.......

Another thing along these lines to consider: because our stocks are legally limited to a certain amount of taper on the underside, they are pointing higher and higher as they move back, and they are doing this while the bullet is just leaving the crown.

Exactly. I've posted this before, but a magnetic base protractor on the barrel as the gun is set up and moved while 'on target' can be helpful.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Back