Solder rem 700 bolt handle after timing

Welding

GeneT,
In lay mans terms-
From the inception in the mid 50's
The term Heli-Arc used helium as the inert shielding gas.
Using helium will relate to an amperage increase(+20-+30amps) & a pinkish hue of reflected light of the arc,but requires 3X the gas volume as argon.(60-80CFH)
Argon is the inert shielding gas used today 99% of the time due to 1/3 less gas usage & cost compared to using helium.(15-25CFH)
The use of argon will present a blue reflected light.

Other gases to include hydrogen are mixed for specialty welds.

Any firearm TIG welding that I've done in the past 40years hasn't required more then 100amps DCSP.

DCSP-Direct Current Straight Polarity is ground positive/electrode negative w/ rare earth(grey),1%,1.5%,2% Lanthanated(gold) or Thoriated(red) tungsten electrode..
used for any steels,stainless,inconel,monel,titanium.
DCRP-Direct Current Reverse Polarity is ground negative/electrode positive.
used for micro/plasma operations.
grind tungsten point to 2/3 diameter longitudinally,not like sharpening a pencil or arc wander will prevail & piss off the operator in short order.
AC-alternating current w/continuous high frequency to stabilize the arc w/ balled pure tungsten(green).
used for aluminum,magnesium.

Pulse is a pre-programmed or manually adjusted/set lower to higher amperage to reduce heat input into the parent material & also works well filler welding aluminum/magnesium for white boys w/o rhythm who cant/don't dance!!

TIG-Tungsten Inert Gas welding is not a short arc process so there is not any sparks/spatter in the process like SMAW or MIG welding.

Any questions-post/pm/e-mail it !!
Professionals are pretty easy to spot.

Question not answered-
Using a threaded piece to fixture/hold said part that is requiring longitudinal & radial stability is not the best option.

Hence the reason a V block is used in the machining industry to fixture & inspections.

I laugh every time some rookie advises someone to use one of the Brownells 90 degree bent rod w/ set screw adjustable blocks to fixture a bolt handle.

Repeatability is not w/in a country mile,when a human hair .0035" mean dimension is my allowed tolerance.

My fabricated 8" long V block has served me well to fixture the 10,000+ bolt handles that I've precision TIG welded since '78.

Not 1 handle fusion TIG welded,since there is not a handle designed for that application.

Mram10,
History does repeat itself,time & time again.
As Butch eluded,you've had your panties in a knot on Machinist site & signed off.
You've once again had those issues here on BR Central & 6mmBR/Accurate Shooter & signed off only to reappear a month or so later on both sites.

Admitting that you've added someone to your ignore list & then quoting their words renders your words as useless as tits on a fish.

I learned my Tool&Die,Precision S/Metal,Certified welder trades w/ 10's of thousands of dollars invested in schooling/certifications,not learned from behind the barn.

I'll tell you anything you want to know,but not everything that I know,not arrogance,it's confidence as there is a difference.

I prefer the exchange of information about guns and gunsmithing without the nastiness and personal attacks.

So don't engage...... keep your personal "geeze, I'ma pile in here too" comments inside your own head. And as far as you're concerned it'll be all about guns and gunsmithing :)

The fact that you and Imram think that disagreement is "bad" and constructive criticism isn't appropriate or that someone has been "unkind" means.....well, I dunno WHAT it means...... but in MY world, I learn from others.

If we all "agree" then why talk about it? (I know, dumb question... on most forums they ALL talk about it and compare notes because no one in the room knows the answer)

I make it my life's business to seek out folks with ANSWERS.

period.

I don't care how they smell, that ain't in it....

I simply don't understand folks like you..... that's not a judgement, I just don't understand.

I've just learned that I WILL make you upsetted in your tummy so I have to be prepared to deal with that.

Or just not enter conversations.

In future I'll try stay out of conversations where you're present.

so don't engage...... Keep your personal "geeze, i'ma pile in here too" comments inside your own head. And as far as you're concerned it'll be all about guns and gunsmithing :)

the fact that you and imram think that disagreement is "bad" and constructive criticism isn't appropriate or that someone has been "unkind" means.....well, i dunno what it means...... But in my world, i learn from others.

If we all "agree" then why talk about it? (i know, dumb question... On most forums they all talk about it and compare notes because no one in the room knows the answer)

i make it my life's business to seek out folks with answers.

Period.

I don't care how they smell, that ain't in it....

I simply don't understand folks like you..... That's not a judgement, i just don't understand.

I've just learned that i will make you upsetted in your tummy so i have to be prepared to deal with that.

Or just not enter conversations.

In future i'll try stay out of conversations where you're present.

ok, that’s cool

Last edited:
This thread is done thanks to some trashy type. Appreciate the pointers that were given. I just need some ribbon silver to braze on.

OP,
Until you get proficient w/ brazing-

Wire will be easier than ribbon.
Keep the torch in constant motion.
IF,the edge of the flux turns black...stop...let cool & manually remove the flux & start over.

OP, Until you get proficient w/ brazing-
IF,the edge of the flux turns black...stop...let cool & manually remove the flux & start over.

Continued excellent advice. :cool: -Al

OP,

Thanks for your replies Dan, good stuff!

GsT

OP,

I didn’t see your advice. Thank you. Didn’t know wire would be easier. Watched wheeler do some but didn’t know to look for blackening of flux. Again, thanks

Mram10,
History does repeat itself,time & time again.
As Butch eluded,you've had your panties in a knot on Machinist site & signed off.
You've once again had those issues here on BR Central & 6mmBR/Accurate Shooter & signed off only to reappear a month or so later on both sites.

Admitting that you've added someone to your ignore list & then quoting their words renders your words as useless as tits on a fish.

I learned my Tool&Die,Precision S/Metal,Certified welder trades w/ 10's of thousands of dollars invested in schooling/certifications,not learned from behind the barn.

I'll tell you anything you want to know,but not everything that I know,not arrogance,it's confidence as there is a difference.

Just when I thought you were being nice and answering the question...
I haven’t signed of PM. Just don’t go there much since my lathe and mill are setup.
Signed off AS because they had an issue with me posting about Billy Graham passing on.
Butch is a .... not worth my time. If you want to help, great and thanks. If you want to throw barbs with the others, then let me know so I can block you again. I’m respectful when not getting attacked by trash.

Back