Secrets Of The Houston Warehouse

George, To inspect a piece faced in a precision way, What you describe is certainly the best way. However,
it is common to check a finished chamber for runout and that is usually done in the original setup which involves
the original machine. I think there are exceptions, if for no other reason than the additional legwork to check it in
any other way is counter productive and would stack tollerances.

Butch, As I stated, George is right. I was referring to the Rule 101 about checking something in the machine the work was done in.
We do check chambers for final runout in the original set up.

Bob,
It would appear to me that runout shouldn't ever be a problem. I could understand a chamber that is oversize, but runout? How can you introduce runout in a chamber? I have long wondered how it can happen.
Butch

Butch,, My best attempt at explaining it would not be good. Thats not to imply that I honestly know. It does happen, and
I have seen it. It has also been explained to me. For that matter, what causes a good drill to wander and make a crooked
hole.

Bob,
I understand that a drill will try to follow an existing hole. I also understand that if somebody uses a reamer with a tight fitting bushing will follow the bore also. Knowing these things, Bob, allows me to do it a different way. I really would like a good explanation of how you can cut a chamber with runout.
Sorry, this should be a new topic as we have gotten away from the OP.
Butch

Bob and Butch,the only way to get runout in chamber is if something shifts in chuck or spider,thats if ind at two points at chamber end.as for checking for tir in mach good luck they all have bearings and tolerances.heres an example i have a studer cyl. grinder for doing punch work great mach repeats .00002 the workhead is a tapered sleeve that runs in oil.you can setup part 0 an ind. turn on and ind will rise but show no runnout turn off and ind. drops we are only talking tenths but if spin by hand ind. will not settle.same on lathe you can only get so much out of bearing setup,any way surface finish in chambers are not that great to be ind,. that close. george p.s. unless your having your .0001 ind. calibrated its pretty much a waste of time i have gotten to check a whole bunch and i would say 8-9 out of 10 are out of calibration.

Last edited:
Bob,
It would appear to me that runout shouldn't ever be a problem. I could understand a chamber that is oversize, but runout? How can you introduce runout in a chamber? I have long wondered how it can happen.
Butch

Butch I have often wondered this same thing. When chambering I rarely worry about runout. I know my setup is good when the reamer sticks slightly as it is withdrawn (locking taper). When the setup is poor, the reamer will practically fall out of the chamber after taking a cut, and will insert easily all the way to the previously cut shoulder.

Has anyone ever seen any remington barrels where the chamber was not concentric with the bore? I have seen more than a few. Some of them shoot suprisingly well in spite of it! I'm talking varmint accuracy not bench rest. Don't know what their process was or is!

hi all
i notice that no one has made mention of the threading system spiralock.?? ramp thread page 109 to
119 ( rifle accuracy facts ) by harold vaughn .also used by gunsmith greg tannel.
it also centers the barrel in the action for shot to shot repeatablity .

regards tasy_ted

Having reread the warehouse story many times, I always find a new item of interest. I note that both front and rear bags
were packed pretty hard, seemingly, the front very hard.
Think it would also be grand if all of T.J. Jacksons writtings were assembled under one cover . No doub't Dave Brennon
could do this. It would be a wealth of info.

Some time back, a fellow posted that he knew someone who had spent a fair amount of time in the warehouse and reported that he had never seen the sort of on demand zeros accuracy the esteemed document reports. Also, I ask again, does anyone have any information about the results produced the uniquely constructed rifles when they were shot outside of the warehouse?

Last edited:
It takes all of 10-15 min. to read the warehouse story. A 3 hr interview would cover more. Thinking that may have just
been the high lights .

Ralph Council and Frank Wilson spent a lot of time there. I don't think they post, but a lot of guys that know them live close enough to visit with them.
Butch

The spiralok thread's function was(is) not to "center the bore" but to distribute thread load.

Shouldered threaded joints like barrel-to-receiver assemblies center consistently on their own

al

hi all
yes alinwa you are right but if you study the spiralok form you will see that is a ramp. and if you have good threading tech
then as it draws up the ramp ( ramp's) both sides it does center as like the taper idea. it also lets you tighten you barrel more
to stop barrel movement. i would like to see the other great gunsmiths try this and give us there opinion.??
h.s.s tooling is very easy ground if you go to there web site and look at the profile .the inserts to buy are an arm and a leg.

butch only works 100% if the action has been trued or is bench rest quality. as it will center to the action threads
regards tasy_ted

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like to see the other great gunsmiths try this and give us there opinion.??
Jerry Stiller did. He called it a recipe for galling. He also made the early Vipers with a tapered thread, but gunsmiths fitting barrels didn't like it (even though the thread on the barrel would be "as always"), & I believe they stopped that, too.

I'm a far cry from a "great gunsmith" but a few years ago I ground up a high speed form tool for the spiralok ramp thread and proceeded to give it a try on a pair of 21 3/4 light 6 ppc varmint barrels. With 5-600 rounds thru each barrel I could see no advantage. Maybe a better gunsmith and shooter would have had better results but I doubt it.

I think I will say it again.
Much of what is being discussed in this thread is nothing more than solutions to problems that do not exist.

Back