Savage LRPV varmiter BEWARE

H

hg shelton

Your extractor and ejector can andwill disapear!!!!!!!!!!!Sent mine back too Savage today........

Gary

I think Gary is refering to the detent ball & spring setup for securing the extractor in the bolt . I fortunately found the extractor loose and the detent ball missing as I was packing for a prairie dog trip. I turned two before leaving and so far haven't needed the spare. If you lose the extractor the fix isn't so easy. Kenny

Your extractor and ejector can andwill disapear!!!!!!!!!!!Sent mine back too Savage today........

Gary

OK, I'm confused ( as usual). How did the extractor and associated guts go elsewhere? I mean I have 14 Savages here and haven't lost one yet in 8 years. I did do a rather poor impression of a NASA space launch with a detent ball putting one back together, but thats about it.

"can and will disappear"
I guess they can, but so far mine have been quite willing.:D

Bill

I think Gary is refering to the detent ball & spring setup for securing the extractor in the bolt . I fortunately found the extractor loose and the detent ball missing as I was packing for a prairie dog trip. I turned two before leaving and so far haven't needed the spare. If you lose the extractor the fix isn't so easy. Kenny

Bingo Kenny, youhit the nail on the head,customer service seemed as if this was not the first one they had trouble with,told me too send it back and they would fix it. Mine is a 22-250 useing 80 grain sierra's and shoots better than smome custom rifles that I have had built..........

Gary

Gary

I've got two Savages and the only time I had an extractor problem was when #2 son was shooting the 112V and a primer blew right on the edge and the escaping gas pushed things around and the extractor came loose out on the prairie. Lost the ball, but not the spring or extractor.

Wonder what they've changed in the design. Someone must have improved the extractor design. :eek:

I've got two Savages and the only time I had an extractor problem was when #2 son was shooting the 112V and a primer blew right on the edge and the escaping gas pushed things around and the extractor came loose out on the prairie. Lost the ball, but not the spring or extractor.

Wonder what they've changed in the design. Someone must have improved the extractor design. :eek:

Larry, I don't knowi if thier has been any changes but the start of my problem ws a blown primer, what caliber do you have and hows it shoot????

Gary

You guys are going to whine when I put this down but TOO BAD:

There is absolutely no excuse for not having spare extractors, springs and detent balls. R&R'ing the extractor is way too easy .

Also, IMO, leaving in the ejector is asking for a split bolt head. For hunting deer or other large game I would leave in the ejector. For anything else take it out. Plucking out the case only takes a second and is better than loosing massaged brass.

Larry, I don't knowi if thier has been any changes but the start of my problem ws a blown primer, what caliber do you have and hows it shoot????

Gary

At the time the primer blew it was a .223 Rem. Since then it's been rebarrelled to .223 Ackley. It shoots well.

Larry,
The only change I'm aware of was a change in material, beryllium copper to steel. Design wise, they are identical.

Bill

Ditto on what BillPA said, I've got a fleet of Savage Rifles and never had a problem like this, I do know one shooter @ MGGOA Twin Oaks Range that had this problem 2-3 times shooting a 223 savage, when he got off the 27-27 1/2 grs of Vivt N133 and back down to 25.0 grs the problem never came back,,,,,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,

DD

27 to 27.5 gr of N133? With what bullet weight? I used to shoot 26.5 gr of N135 with 52's and that was definitely WARM.

:)I have a Savage LRPV,.223 Rem,1/9. I removed the ejector,ejector pin,and spring. Now I don't have to chase my brass. The factory ejector kicks 'em out right smartly. Also,now the cartridge isn't biased on one side as when the ejector was in the bolt. Picking out spent brass=no problem. gpoldblue

27 to 27.5 gr of N133? With what bullet weight? I used to shoot 26.5 gr of N135 with 52's and that was definitely WARM.

Larry , that was his problem, he was WAY TOO HOT, we coached him back to 24.5, worked back to 25.0 and we all lived happly ever after,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,

DD

You guys are going to whine when I put this down but TOO BAD:

There is absolutely no excuse for not having spare extractors, springs and detent balls. R&R'ing the extractor is way too easy .

Also, IMO, leaving in the ejector is asking for a split bolt head. For hunting deer or other large game I would leave in the ejector. For anything else take it out. Plucking out the case only takes a second and is better than loosing massaged brass.

I agree you should have replacement parts for anything you expect to fall off or split. It would be nice if the mfg would give you a list. Kenny

I agree you should have replacement parts for anything you expect to fall off or split. It would be nice if the mfg would give you a list. Kenny

Your experiences must be different from mine. I never need my spares so by having them I keep the gremlins at bay.

From the title of this post its made to sound like Savages fault.
Why on earth would anyone send a gun back to the factory they abused intentionally. Midway sells those parts for a few bucks and you can have it up and running in a few days.

Lets aim for self reliance and common sense. Manufacturers have better things to do than correct our silly mistakes.

From the title of this post its made to sound like Savages fault.
Why on earth would anyone send a gun back to the factory they abused intentionally. Midway sells those parts for a few bucks and you can have it up and running in a few days.

Lets aim for self reliance and common sense. Manufacturers have better things to do than correct our silly mistakes.

You sure can make decisions with a small amount of information. The worst thing I did to my Savage 22-250 was load 38gr of H380 with a 55 gr bullet. About 46,000 C.U.P. I couldn't find where Gary had ubused his either. Kenny

Larry,
The only change I'm aware of was a change in material, beryllium copper to steel. Design wise, they are identical.

Bill

Beryllium copper is so far superior to any know steel it's like light years of differences. For parts subjected to wear as in extractors, look for the better beryllium copper. Grinding beryllium copper is the (literally) killer. It is highly toxic to the people doing grinding operations.:eek:

You sure can make decisions with a small amount of information. The worst thing I did to my Savage 22-250 was load 38gr of H380 with a 55 gr bullet. About 46,000 C.U.P. I couldn't find where Gary had ubused his either. Kenny

I've heard that the reason H380 is named that is because Bruce Hodgdon loaded 38 gr of it and got 3800 fps in a .22-250. I've had two .22-250's and could not get anywhere close to 38 gr with a 50 to 52 gr bullet with pressures that I felt were sane. I load hot too, but I sincerely doubt that 38 gr/H380/55 gr bullet is making 46 kpsi. WAY more in my experience with different lots of H380 too.

Back