Savage LRPV varmiter BEWARE

load is to hot

I have had this same thing. If i load way to hot. The only other time I seen this the next round blew the action into three pices

I am sure you guys know more than LYMAN since all they have at thier disposal is the testing equipment. They think 40gr of H 380 gives 48,100 C.U.P. with a 55gr jacketed spitzer in a 22-250. As per Lyman 47th new addition. As per Hodgdon 2004 Annual Manual 41gr of H380 produces 50,100 C.U.P. A rifle that shows pressure signs with 38 gr should maybe be checked by a competent gunsmith. Kenny

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Sicero, the "classic" load of 38 grains H380 is very mild and low velocity. In my rifles 38 grains with a 55 grain bullet doesn't burn hot enough to keep the barrels from powder fouling, probably what gave H380 a bad name. Move those charges up and the barrel will stay clean and your case necks won't be black.

H380/ 22-250

My "standard" do-all load for factory, replacement Hart, and replacement Shilen barrels, all with 55 gr. max bullet weights. never had a pressure problem & that combination was extremely accurate-- consistant 1/2 moa with 5 shot groups. All three barrels were "toast" at 2300 to 2500 rounds.

I am sure you guys know more than LYMAN since all they have at thier disposal is the testing equipment. They think 40gr of H 380 gives 48,100 C.U.P. with a 55gr jacketed spitzer in a 22-250. As per Lyman 47th new addition. As per Hodgdon 2004 Annual Manual 41gr of H380 produces 50,100 C.U.P. A rifle that shows pressure signs with 38 gr should maybe be checked by a competent gunsmith. Kenny

If you've got the same barrel, chamber, lot of powder, primers, and everything else identical to what Lyman or anyone else has you'll get the same pressures they got. I know what happened in my two .22-250's, which is why I bagged H380. The rifles were both factory rifles and gave better velocities and lower pressures with other powders. I'm not saying you didn't get the results you got, or that Lyman or Hodgdon or anyone else is lying. I've been loading for nearly 40 years and have gotten to know and understand high pressures when I see them.

From the title of this post its made to sound like Savages fault.
Why on earth would anyone send a gun back to the factory they abused intentionally. Midway sells those parts for a few bucks and you can have it up and running in a few days.

Lets aim for self reliance and common sense. Manufacturers have better things to do than correct our silly mistakes.

My Mod 12 LRPV .223 Rem. has +1800 rds. And no problems. I was not looking for HOT. But, accurate. Used this year, for benchrest score. 16 matches. 188/200 avg. And no wind flags. My club has a factory-scope class.

Back