Sako Scope Rings

L

litetrigger

Are there any marks on older sako rings that show that they are matching? Thanks

Sako Rings and Bases...

I own two Sako rifles, one a L461 in 223, and the a m0del 85 in 375 H&H. The L461 is an absolute dream rifle.

I had a set of low mounts for the 85 to accomodate a Leupold 1.75 X 5 scope. I decided to go with a higher power scope. This required a set of medium rings and a new set of bases. I tried to order a set from about 10 different sources. None to be had. I went to the Shot Show the following year and talked with the SAKO factory rep. He took my information and said he would call me and help me get the rings and bases that I needed. Well, he never called. The next year at the Shot Show I found the same guy. I took down his name and got one of his business cards. He again promised that he would call me back. Again I got no resopnse when I returned home. Well I called the President of Stoeger who was the SAKO importer at the time. I told him what had happen. I told him that I was going to sell my SAKO 85 and run a 1 page add in American Rifleman magazine "Why one should not buy a SAKO rifle". He said send him $160.00 and he would would personally send the last set of medium rings and bases for a SAKO 85 to be found in North America. About 4 weeks later I got the Medium Rings and Bases. They were used and not in an original SAKO box. They fit and have been on that rifle for over 10 years now. Since the Baretta Group bought SAKO ,getting parts for the older models is virtually impossible. I will never buy another SAKO for this reason. They just are not the same company that they were 30 years ago.
Rustystud

While they are not original Sako rings I have a set for a 30mm scope that I'll never use if anybody has a need for them. I think they're made by Redfield.

rings.....

The older SAKO rings, the ones that slid directly on the receiver dovetails, had a mark on the side. However, what I used to do was to take a tiny prick punch and mark the rings on the front of the rear ring & the back of the front ring on the same sides so that if the rings were switched, these tiny marks wouldn't align. The old rings were really great, you could use a collimator & get the rough windage w/both rings, thereby saving your scope adjustments. Unfortunately, when the american companies started making bases & rings for the SAKO, instead of making rings like the originals(OH!! too expensive!!!), they proceeded to make bases that slid onto the dovetails that would accept THEIR rings, but to hold these bases on, there was a pointed machine screw that was screwed down into the cross-hatching on the tops of the dovetails, disfiguring them; the theory being, you'd never notice it, as you'd always keep your bases on the rifle. Some shooters now who want one of these rifles will typically knock $50-100 off a gun so marred. Gives new meaning to the term "well-screwed". The problem was, of course, one of economics as the SAKO always was sold at a slight premium of $40-$75 higher depending on grade, but most Americans did not have someone to point out the advantages & benefits & were unable to appreciate the inherent quality, and novelty, of the little SAKOs. I've pointed things out to SAKO owners who'd owned & frequently shot the rifles, that never were aware of some of the little things that made these rifles unique & so desireable.

Sako rings

Brian Roberts: I ran out of windage adjustment on one of my L-46, and needed the Burris Signature off-set rings. Bought the U.S. made slide-on bases, & as you said, it was obvious the set screws would permantly mark the receiver. Punched out small hard plastic discs ( from a powder can), the plastic "bites" into the checkering, holds tightly, all is well. Did notice when using the original rings, on both my L-46s', they left no rings markings on the scope tubes, what-so-ever, without any of the usual lapping required. Yes, they are extreme quality.

I own two Sako rifles, one a L461 in 223, and the a m0del 85 in 375 H&H. The L461 is an absolute dream rifle.

I had a set of low mounts for the 85 to accomodate a Leupold 1.75 X 5 scope. I decided to go with a higher power scope. This required a set of medium rings and a new set of bases. I tried to order a set from about 10 different sources. None to be had. I went to the Shot Show the following year and talked with the SAKO factory rep. He took my information and said he would call me and help me get the rings and bases that I needed. Well, he never called. The next year at the Shot Show I found the same guy. I took down his name and got one of his business cards. He again promised that he would call me back. Again I got no resopnse when I returned home. Well I called the President of Stoeger who was the SAKO importer at the time. I told him what had happen. I told him that I was going to sell my SAKO 85 and run a 1 page add in American Rifleman magazine "Why one should not buy a SAKO rifle". He said send him $160.00 and he would would personally send the last set of medium rings and bases for a SAKO 85 to be found in North America. About 4 weeks later I got the Medium Rings and Bases. They were used and not in an original SAKO box. They fit and have been on that rifle for over 10 years now. Since the Baretta Group bought SAKO ,getting parts for the older models is virtually impossible. I will never buy another SAKO for this reason. They just are not the same company that they were 30 years ago.
Rustystud
Got to agree 100%.
I think Sako was bought for the name and they really just want to close it all down in Europe and make the rifles in Japan or someplace like that. It is a great shame what Beretta has done to a fine brand name.
Tikka will follow.
I have all old model Sakos and I would not swap one of them for two new models.

Sake high 30mm rings and bases....

I am a HUGE fan of Sako, not so much the 75 and 85, but anything older..

I bought a set of bases and high 30mm ribngs a few years back from a dealer that had them on his shelf for years, no one even asked for them. As nice as they are I just plain don't need them. Paid $109.95 plus Mn tax. If anyone is interested send me a message and I will forward photos.

Sako rings-my apologies

I should place an ad in the classified section if I want to sell something-not clutter up the thread with my ad. I just typed a quick reply without thinking about it. This is too good a forum to compromise my use of it and its quality.

Look for my ad, soon to be posted, in the classified section.

My bad. :(

SAKOs....

FDS & JON S. Thanks for the tips, guys, y'never know when that'll come in handy, I'll remember those.
Yeah, I lament the passing of the little receivers, victims of bean-counters & lawyers. I noticed the differences between the European & American manuals for the Steyr AUG; the Euro manual showed one how to lead a walking or running target, & where to aim the donut reticle out to 300yds & beyond!! The American manual on every page had a stop sign, like Ruger: STOP!!!! DON'T DO ANYTHING W/THIS GUN, EXCEPT PAY FOR IT!!!! What a crock. And, I really have to wonder if the Beretta family is REALLY in control of the co. any more. It says now "Beretta Holding Co." I have to wonder if they weren't "suggested" to form a co. managed by the foundations, corps, etc.; just another way to stifle the good stuff. I mean, there seems to be SOME/one/thing is trying to get rid of hunters. The WVa DNR & PA have introduced Coyotes into the wild, which has DECimated the PA Pheasant population, I'm told, & Maryland has a closed season on them!!! (God, I got on a rant, sorry guys.) Sometimes it just seems all the good stuff is leaving, I would think that w/CNC centers the Finns could have made an improved, tighter-toleranced L461, even an L46 on a semi-custom basis, w/top-notch steels, but, no. Oh, well, I don't think I want to sell mine either.

Yep fellas......

.....I do wish they made more of these.

BTW.....I've used lead shot with Conetrol bases for years. On the Redfield bases I file the screw protrustion flat, with the bottom of the base. On both styles of bases I peen the underside of the base dovetails,such that when placed on the action dovetail, the base is about 0.25" short of the desired position.....and then drive the base forward with a leather mallet. Never had one come loose.......played hell getting them off though. I've never liked the possibility of the "anchoring screw" tilting the base.....but that's just me.

Kevin
SakoL461SSaction.jpg

Dumb Sako question.....

I've got one of the Sako 6PPC-USA's that's marked "PPC B 559" on the action.

I don't see this model listed often by you Sako guys..... is 559 the model? I always see Sakos listed as 75's, 461's, 85's and such.

I'm guessing that the way this thing shoots it's the one that gets banned from "factory class" shoots.

Unfortunately it has the Burris rings on it :(

Any of you Sako guys care to give me a lesson? I'm considering selling it but don't know much about them......

al

I am not familiar with that model. Have only seen the :--
M551 / L581 , M558 , M590 , M591 , M995
It might be an M558 with a badly stamped 8.
In 1979 /80 the A1 model came out in 22 and 6mm PPC USA.
In 1993 the S491 model came out in 22 and 6mm PPC USA.
1997 Model 75 II came out in PPC
Yours might be some special custom shop model or something like that .

Last edited by a moderator:
Look , Sako made a huge massive error when it decided to ignore the needs of the International Benchrest and other competition shooting markets .
They were too dumb to see that if they allowed aftermarket production of add on target triggers and all the other accuracy improvements , they would cement their rifles into the competition scene.
Remington was way smarter at the time and knew the needs of competition shooters and catered for that in making an action that is easy to accurise by comparison and every add on accessory is easily available .
I complained to them about this oversight 25 years ago but no one listened.

Original Sako L-46 triggers

My highly skilled gunsmith just did a trigger job on one of my L-46, serial #486xx, using all the original parts, gave me an excellent 1# 4 oz. trigger, comparable to any of my aftermarket Rem. 700 triggers. But then again, he was able to do the same with Ruger#1 (would you believe?), again, using the factory parts only.

Al.....

What you have is an AI action, even though it is not stamped as such.

The "PPC B 559" is the serial number.

BTW......with A LOT of work, I was able to adjust the factory match trigger down to 4 ounces.....in MY rifle. Your results may differ.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

What you have is an AI action, even though it is not stamped as such.

The "PPC B 559" is the serial number.

BTW......with A LOT of work, I was able to adjust the factory match trigger down to 4 ounces.....in MY rifle. Your results may differ.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, that is what it looks like. 3-digit serial no?? Cool.

I've got a pretty light trigger although it's definitely "2-stage" in the European style. I don't like it, preferring the "breaking icicle" or American style. The trigger is externally adjustable.

al

Sorry if this seems like a hijack...... just keeping the thread alive :)

al

Al.......

I do not think they are three digit serial numbers, as mine is "PPC B 150".

Rather I believe the serial number actually is the complete "PPC B 559".

Kevin

Back