Sako Model 75 Varmint

GStick what powder are you using with the 90s? I have a Sako Forester .243 Varmint that shoots 55 gr Balistic Tips with H414 very well. I want to try the 90s for 1000 yards.

I was using (47.0 +) H4831sc with the 90 gr Lapua Scenars. It worked very well in my Sako 75 Varmint. Now I am shooting exclusively Hornady 87 gr V-Max's with that weapon for live ground-hogs. (using H4350) but I am going to try the H4831sc with the 87 gr V-Max pills. I did try the H414, and it gave me the highest velocities by far, but accuracy went to poop.

Ray:

Thanks for the response and picture.

I think I need one of those "shooting holidays", as well as many others might need state side.

In my experience those Nightforce scopes are pretty top shelf.

Keep shooting, and Take Care!

Older Old Cob

Hi corncob Bob ,
Nice to hear from you again!!!
Hope life is looking after you at your side if the pond???
Been saving for the Nightforce for a while and was definitely worth it!!!
Have some 74 grain benchrest bullets to try this weekend!!!
All the best and take care...........
RAY.........................

Yo Ray:

Besides Vihtavouri powders and Scenar bullets, what other brands of powder and bullets do you have on your side of the pond ?

Always great to hear from you

Cob

Yo Ray:

Besides Vihtavouri powders and Scenar bullets, what other brands of powder and bullets do you have on your side of the pond ?

Always great to hear from you

Cob

Hi Cob ,
Again thanks for reply!!!
I need to look at this site more often so i can keep up with posts!!!!
At the moment we can have quite a good variety of powders and bullets!!!
Hornady A-max / v-max , Nosler , Berger , sierra to name a few!!
Powders , Hodgdon , Winchester , Alliant..............

I have been using Viht N133 for the 58 V-max in my 6PPC for varmints out to 500yds here in england!!!
Just been testing recently some Precision Ballistics 74 grain BTs with H335 , the results have been great!!!
All the best...............
RAY.................................

My Kind of Thread

Wilbur doesn't like hunting Threads he told me so at Midland but this is more than a hunting Thread, this is a BR hunting Thread.

I have some awesome rifles not purdy not real expensive but just balls to the wall accurate at least out to 600M.

The Thread started out asking about a SAKO 75 in 22 PPC. OK nice gun. Sam Fadala in his The Book of the Twenty Two has a chapter on 22 PPC rifles which has the SAKO mentioned. Don't believe the chap about his once in awhile take the gun out of the closet groups in the low 2's with his. Know better I shoot a 22 PPC in BR.

We play a game in So Cal called Varmint Silohuette. Same game played elsewhere 50 metal silo's starting at 200m 10 chicks/rodents, 300M 10 crows, 400m 10 turkeys, 500M 10 jackrabbits, 600m 10 prarie dogs. Any gun any caliber, any scope your choice bench or prone. Now this is a riflemans game. Instant satisification. Guys tend to go with mid range cartidges like 6x47 Lapua and 6XC. The ones that shoot with a 22 cal use a mid size case like a 22-250 wildcat with 80 grn bullets. Barrel twists are usually 1-7 or 1-8.

I would say the SAKO in a 22 PPC would do fine out to 400 but you would need the heavier bullets to be consistent at 500 and 600. One day there I shot a 46x50 with .243 wildcat not bad on a breezy day. After the shoot I pulled out my 6x47 Rem and knocked down 7 in a row at 600 with the 66 grn bullets I make.

With all this said to me BR cartridges like the 22/6 PPC, 6 BR, 6x47 Rem would make some great cartridges for the hunting crowd. Problem woud be putting together the ammo. If you have chambers that need neck turning this might discourage most. But the potential is there. A BR take off barrel not being used is still more accurate than a factory barrel. And with stoutness and being stainless that's a plus. Just some thoughts.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
I've got one of those Sako's built for four years with no markings chambered in 6PPC USA. It has a loose 14.6 twist rate so won't stabilize 80gr bullets...... it's marginal with 70's, NBt's will go sideways below 50degrees at 1000' MSL.

It's pretty accurate, I think it's fair to call it a 1/3moa rifle, but it absolutely will not take the pressure required for full-on BR loading. 3250 is where mine wants to shoot, this is it's max.

With only a bedding job I'd say it's the most accurate factory rifle I've ever seen, got me to actually buy a real PPC to find out what all the fooferaw was about. (It AIN'T a real PPC I found out!!!)

Shooting 55-68gr bullets it's like cheating on varmints out to 250yds.....

Fun rifle, crap "two stage" trigger that feels like it's hooked to a bungee, but fun rifle.

al

New Owner Sako M75 SS VAR. Lam .243 - Need some help

I just purchased "used" a never been fired Sako Model 75 SS Varminter LAM .243.
I was informed that a very rich man purchased the gun and never fired it and has it on sale under consignment. I guess it sounds like a story everyone has heard before but in this case it looks like it it true. It is equipped with a Leupold 6.5 -20X scope and has the Lam. stock with checkering, and barrel exterior is scalloped for heat .

Can anyone tell me how old you think this rifle is ? I have been shooting my fathers passed down beautiful Win. Model 88 in .308 made in 1957 and love that gun and look forward to enjoying the Sako as much and more from what I have been reading on the site.

Now the part that I am worried about, any opinions from you experienced Sako owners what value you can put on this rifle?

It is just a beautiful rifle and I am in the 10 Day waiting period.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger,
I may have used the incorrect phrase, I am refering to the external rounded scallops for heat reduction on the barrel,
sorry for the confusion

No, no confusion. I've not seen a Factory Fluted BBL on a 75 Varmit Mdl. But as I said that doesn't mean they didn't make any either. Manufacturers will make a special run IF they can get a Distributer/Store etc. to buy enough of them to make it worth their while. Davidson's/ Lew Horten are prime examples of this. I've several LIMITED run rifles from both places. Generally the label on the box will indicate any specialty items of the rifle. IE. BBL Length/Style/Fluted /STS/Blued, Stock type (Wood/Laminate/Syn,Sporter/Varmit/Target) Sights /or not etc.

Last edited:
Here are a few Pic's

I wanted to know if $1450.00 out the door for the rifle seems like a fair price, I am a little uncomfortable talking dollars.

sako 75.jpgaasako 75.jpgSako 75(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sako 75

you can get more infor on sako at sakocollectors.com . i want a 6ppc badd

We were at Flowlers in Orange CA. and they had a very nice Model 75 in 6ppc varminter laminated for $1,495.00

Sako 75 6ppc

This is a great old thread.

Can those that own the Sako 75 Varmint in 6ppc comment from experience about it stabilizing 80-85gr bullets with its 1:12" twist. Thank you.

Mine w/ the 12 twist shot 80gr. Berger flat base & 80gr. Nosler Ballistic tips the best. I used Benchmark seated a few thou off or right at the lands. Shot a couple grand aggs (25 @ 100 & 25 @ 200) at around a half MOA.

Sako 75 6ppc

Thank you GJgo - I'm considering buying a Sako 75 Stainless Laminate Varmint NIB and wondered about its ability to stabilize the mid-weight bullets. Sounds like it worked well for you.

Alan

Fantastic varmint rifle, almost boringly accurate. Amazing (single stage) trigger for factory. I could shoot the flies that landed on my target. That said I bought it oh 11 years ago for $800 & recently sold it for $1600, any time I can double my money on a gun I figure it's time to move on to a new project.

Anytime you can double your money on a gun you've invested well. These Sakos seem to steadily increase in price/value.

Back