Sako Model 75 Varmint

Jjason & P Corncob Bob: Yesterday I went down to my gun vault and got out my Sako single shot bolt action Rifle in caliber 6mm PPC.
I searched all over the Rifle for a "Model" number or designation.
NONE was to be found.
Do you (or does anybody else) have an idea as to what Model Sako Rifle I have?
Or any ideas as to where else to ask/look for clarification?
My Rifle has a very heavy blued barrel that is 23 3/4" in length.
TIA for any help or direction.
Hold into the wind
Varmint

maybe this will help you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAKO

Last edited by a moderator:
P Corncob Bob: I have the Sako Laminated stainless and when i bought it new back in 29 / 7 / 2002 , it was chambered in 6PPC USA .
I was using sako factory brass , it seemed no matter what bullets i tried in this rifle would put them into small holes!!!!
I have over the years use this rifle for varmints ( rabbits , crows . magpies ) / Fox / and small to medium side deer ( Roe and Fallow ) here in England .
Its proved to be a fantastic / accurate tool for the job !!!
Been a great tool when shooting groups at the range too , but probably a given anyway!!
Heres a picture of her...
6mmppc004.jpg

Over time i had put over 4000 rounds through her and thought i would have a new tube fitted , so i opted for a Krieger 1 in 12 twist again but with a 270 neck and a 23 inch tube as i would be using a moderator for night hunting!!!
The rifle was damn accurate before but with the new tube and running neck turned lapua brass , she is simply stunning!!!
This is how she looks now...............
DSCF3490.jpg

I know this is a benchrest site , but i use my rifles for hunting as well as target shooting!!!!
I remember my first F-class match using the rifle in its PPC USA format and homeloaded Sako brass and 70 grain matchkings..
The match was over 2 days with the course of fire at 300 / 500 and 600yds , this rifle managed to get me 3rd place so not too bad!!!
f-class.jpg

I have taken varmints out past 500yds with this rifle ( it got me into the varmint hunters association 500yd club ) , have taken Foxes past 400ds with it and harvested a few deer too!!!
So there you have it , i think you will be having a great lot of fun my friend with your rifle , and once you have her ( if you feel like i do ) you will never want to part with it!!!
Have fun and enjoy!!!
All the best from England.........
RAY.................

Small hijack............

Ray..!
Nice!

Thanks for sharing..! That second picture is really sharp, like the hills in the background. Looks like your having a TON of fun!
These little cases are quite capable.

cale

Ray..!
Nice!

Thanks for sharing..! That second picture is really sharp, like the hills in the background. Looks like your having a TON of fun!
These little cases are quite capable.

cale

Thanks buddy ,
Yes those cases certainly are capable!!!
here in England , for us to hunt deer the law states that it must be a minimum of .240 caliber / produce a muzzle velocity of 1700ftlbs and must be a bullet to holloe point or soft noses to expand in a predictive manner !!!
So my deer hunting load is Lapua 220 Russian brass / federal 205 match primer / H335 powder / 85 grain nosler solid base boat tail..
this load is doing just under 3100ftps with 1800ftlbs of energy!!
It groups into 0.300 of a inch too!!!

When varmint hunting its a load of Viht N133 and a 58 V-max kissing the lands , this gives me a average velocity of 3500fps and is fantastically accurate and explosive on varmints!!!
65 V-maxs are a very close second with a average of 3350fps and bughole groups!!!
Hope you dont mind but heres another favourite long range varmint / target shooting area..
DSCF3133.jpg

DSCF1478.jpg

Would of posted some hunting pictures but not sure if it would be against forum rules and do not want to hijack P Corncob Bob thread!!
Sorry about that buddy , i just love my PPCs whether target / varmint or deer!!
All the best............
RAY..............................

Sako Vixen

I bought a Sako Vixen in .223 cal. several years ago from someone who needed the money. It has a factory heavy barrel 23 3/4" long with an adjustable trigger. The trigger guard has holes for adjusting the trigger. The original box has the chamberings that were available, they are: .17 Rem., .222Rem., .223, .22 PC, 6 PPC. I believe the action is an Al and it was imported by Stoeger Industries. The action has not been bedded.

This rifle is the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. I have custom rifles that this rifle can compete against. I would never part with this rifle as it is a work of beauty. The action is finely crafted and harks back to a former time when craftsmanship was still used in the production of firearms.

Lou Baccino

Last edited:
Still kicking myself for selling an A-1 22 PPC last year. Though I do really like the 75's My favorite has to eb teh Mike Bryant built 20 PPC or .257 AI.

ML

.257 a.i.

Still kicking myself for selling an A-1 22 PPC last year. Though I do really like the 75's My favorite has to eb teh Mike Bryant built 20 PPC or .257 AI.

ML

ML,
I was considering a .257 A.I. until I found the .250 Savage A.I. in the Sierra Reloading manual. The .250 Savage A.I. will exceed the velocity of the .257 A.I. with less powder with bullet weights up to 100 grn. I just had a barrel chambered in .250 Savage A.I. by Pac-Nor and it is looking very promising.

I'm glad you mentioned the A-1 22 PPC because I had posted the caliber choices on my box as 22 BR but, in reality, it was 22 PPC.

Lou Baccino

Yo Ray:

You are not hijacking my thread. Really enjoyed the pictures and your feedback.

In Highest Regard.

Ol' Cob

Yo Ray:

You are not hijacking my thread. Really enjoyed the pictures and your feedback.

In Highest Regard.

Ol' Cob

Thanks for the kind words buddy!!!!;)
As i have mentioned , i have been using the PPC for triple duty for quite a while now and find it a great tool for the job!!!
Heres some photos ( if it okay by forum rules ) of some memorable hunts with my Sako 6PPC!!!!
A nice Fallow buck while on holiday...
DSCF1585.jpg

A Roe doe taken on a February morning..........
DSCF3087.jpg

Long range bunnie shooting ..........
DSCF3130.jpg

And not forgetting , when on a varminting holiday in Wales with my good friend Dave i shot this one getting me into the varmint Hunters Associations 500yds club...............
DSCF3207.jpg

And a return trip to Wales in the winter for some Fox control with my mates Dave and Andy on a turkey farm , we was using a Kawasaki Mule as a shooting platform and it was minus 3..........
DSCF3355.jpg

As i have said , if you have as much enjoyment out of your rifle as i have mine , you are going to enjoy owning the 6PPC very much........
All the very best from England................
RAY................................

Here's one of my Laminated 75 Varminters. This one is a factory new .243 that I had set back and re-chambered with a short throat 6BR reamer. The factory barrel shoots the Nosler 55s and Hornady 58s into tiny, ragged holes. Recoil is much easier to handle than the original .243 chambering, especially shooting the 55s/58s.

Sako75-6BR.JPG

My rifle currently weighs 9 pounds 14 ounces with Sako Optilock 30mm rings installed.

Wanting to shoot rifle for live varmints and also 10-1/2 pound factory rifle class at local club matches.

To make come in at or just under 10-1/2 pounds plans are to use a straight 24X Leupold with 1" rings.

Is there anyone that makes lightweight aluminum 1" scope rings for a Sako model 75 ?

I know some companies make light weight bolt plug shrouds for Remington 700 and Remington 40X, but does anyone make same for a Sako model 75 ?

Detachable steel magazine weighs about 8 ounces. Does any company make light weight replacements ?

Thanks!

Old Cob

I, and many others, dream about some high quality aluminum scope rings for the Sako dovetail. A life long dream for me actually. I hate steel rings....... The ones in my photo are hard chromed Leupolds. They are lighter than the Optilocks but still not "light weight".

Hey Bob,

I have the exact same rifle as well, didn't come with the set trigger although it breaks at a clean 16oz. I love it, I bet you will too. Mine has a preference for 80gr pills when it comes to really tiny holes.. Best of luck with it!

*Drool* over the 243 for sale!!!!

Thank you to everyone that responded.

Ray: Those hunting pictures from your home land were awesome.

Old Cob

Corncob.............

Been looking for one of those for a while.

Will pay a fare price

Thanks;
Jeff

Thank you to everyone that responded.

Ray: Those hunting pictures from your home land were awesome.

Old Cob

Hi Bob ,
So sorry for such a late reply - not been on the site for quite a while!!!
Hope you and the lads on here are keeping well???
My sako 6PPC now wears a Nightforce BR 8 - 32 - 56 scope , have harvested 5 deer since i last posted!!!
Heres a picture of a Muntjac deer which i shot at 241yds whilst on a shooting holiday , Muntjac is the UKs smallest deer!!!
DSCF3803.jpg

All the best...............
RAY.........................

GStick what powder are you using with the 90s? I have a Sako Forester .243 Varmint that shoots 55 gr Balistic Tips with H414 very well. I want to try the 90s for 1000 yards.

Hi Bob ,
So sorry for such a late reply - not been on the site for quite a while!!!
Hope you and the lads on here are keeping well???
My sako 6PPC now wears a Nightforce BR 8 - 32 - 56 scope , have harvested 5 deer since i last posted!!!
Heres a picture of a Muntjac deer which i shot at 241yds whilst on a shooting holiday , Muntjac is the UKs smallest deer!!!
DSCF3803.jpg

All the best...............
RAY.........................

must be a relative of our Texas whitetail.

Ray:

Thanks for the response and picture.

I think I need one of those "shooting holidays", as well as many others might need state side.

In my experience those Nightforce scopes are pretty top shelf.

Keep shooting, and Take Care!

Older Old Cob

Back