Rem 40X-BR in 222

Lucky Shooter A

Anyone still around remember how well these rifles performed in 222 ?

The only one I've seen had about a 20" barrel and a shorter wood stock with a flat forend but was in 223.

Thanks.

A. Weldy

I've never shot one but had a chance to buy a 40X-BR 222 back in the 90's. It was even topped with a 24x Unertl. I regret passing on it because the ask was only $800.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
40XBR in 222

That was one of the rifles to buy at the time. Usually a HV in 222 Or LV in 222 to shoot both classes.
They were 1/4 minute or better rifles , right from the Factory. A test Target came with the rifle with the load Powder case primer Bullet .
Usually with a factory OAL from the reloading book {Sierra}

Here's a pic of mine....all original.

It's a HV 40XBBR 222, with factory 2 oz. trigger, and Leupold 24XAO.

Kevin
33ueqdv.jpg

Around .3" is what i remember. Not the rifles fault. IMO. The scope was not the best for great accuracy. Or the owner didnt know how to use the adjustable mounts.
Scope.jpg
This was the scope on the rifle at the time. Bausch & Lomb BALvar 24X Target Scope.

Not a 40x but close

That was one of the rifles to buy at the time. Usually a HV in 222 Or LV in 222 to shoot both classes.
They were 1/4 minute or better rifles , right from the Factory. A test Target came with the rifle with the load Powder case primer Bullet .
Usually with a factory OAL from the reloading book {Sierra}

Here is a jpeg of a 700 BDL V special in 222 I rebuilt as a bunny buster recently. Shoots really well. In mild wind conditions it will scare the PPC.
Andy

Attachments

• #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 540
40XBR in 222

I have HV like that also only 6/47 shoots really well .
I like the Rifle you built Andy''

Anyone still around remember how well these rifles performed in 222 ?

The only one I've seen had about a 20" barrel and a shorter wood stock with a flat forend but was in 223.

Thanks.

A. Weldy

I bought a new HV version in January, 1975, with a 26" x 0.955" x14t barrel, in 222 Magnum.

I put a Unertl scope on it and campaigned it for a few years. It shot very well, and always made me look better than I really was. It was(is) a very predictable rifle, with no bad habits or "personality problems".

Then I reshaped the for-end to make it field friendly, and have shot crows, 'chucks, and PD's with it.

It now has a Leupold 24x BR Scope on it and will still stay in the 2's and better.

Shot a month ago... 50gr Sierra BlitzKings, and new, out of the box, R-P cases.

222MagBRriffle_zps3831fccb.jpg

IT needed tarting up a bit

I have HV like that also only 6/47 shoots really well .
I like the Rifle you built Andy''

The original rifle got bedded and trigger converted to a BR type before it was ever fired. Shot the original barrel out then had to remove a lot of wood to fit the madco. Shot out two of them and by this time it was showing bare metal on the cocking piece, trigger, floor plate etc. So I decided to true up the action and sleeve it along with the bolt. Fit a HV Lilija to it and glue it into a McMillan hunter stock. It was quicker and cheaper to cerakote the bits showing metal. A friend who is a graphic designer came up with the idea of making the trigger, cocking piece and rings red. Glad you like it. I have had several people comment on it at the range also.
Andy

40XBR in 222

Andy sounds like the same things I did with my first 40x br
My first was also a 6/47, shot the barrel out new barrel a 222 mag , shot out the chamber rechamber to 222 40 deg shot that out went
to a new stock, opened bolt to ppc and chambered to ppc
I still have one though . still shoots very well with a Hart barrel in 6/47 improved {2nd barrel} chambered by Hart rifle barrels

Still load Developing

Andy sounds like the same things I did with my first 40x br
My first was also a 6/47, shot the barrel out new barrel a 222 mag , shot out the chamber rechamber to 222 40 deg shot that out went
to a new stock, opened bolt to ppc and chambered to ppc
I still have one though . still shoots very well with a Hart barrel in 6/47 improved {2nd barrel} chambered by Hart rifle barrels

It seems to be a formula that works. I have had the opportunity to take the 222 to the range twice for load development. Although I have shot it into the high one's on several occasions I still have to find a bullet - charge weight that reduces its wind sensitivity a little. But in the months ahead the varmints should get worried.
Andy.

40XBR in 222

Andy I still use the old formula from years back on one of my 222s The load was in a sierra manual years ago and it still works.
of course new powders and new loads are out there , but here,s one that works for me and has never let me down for accuracy.
Remington {neck turned brass} 20.4 to 20.5 gr IMR 4198 Remington 7 1/2 or CCI BR 4 primer seated to jump.020.
Gerry

Trying different bullets

I have a limited supply of 4198 as there is no distributor for IMR in Oz these days. I have gone up to 22gn of it behind sierra 53gn FB bullets with no jump but only slight land contact. I have some RE#7 which is very similar to the 4198. I will try some Berger 52gn next and some hand swaged copper heads. It's shooting pretty well but is still a little more sensitive in the wind than a 222 should be from previous experience.
Andy.

I have had one for 10 or more years it is a HV 222 with factory 2 OZ trigger and it has been bedded. It is BORING to punch paper as it just keeps shooting the same hole--it has been a while since I shot it but if my memory is rite it is HARD to shoot a group bigger than 3/8" most the time crowding 1/4- .3

The "Duce" has always IMO been easy to load for --I worked for a man back when these rifles were new, he was a Remington Jobber/Wholesaler and he was one of those "Show-Off" fellows --he would DIP the primed case in IMR 4895 brush the excess off , seat the bullet and shoot Tiny Groups with the 7 1/2 and Remington 52 BR bullets

Jim

40XBR in 222

The only info I had on the Rel 7 was old. The old powder in the square cans was pretty hot''. same load info but powder charge was 21 to 22 gr with the same cases and primer Jumping
That was a match load from the 70,s I've seen it shoot low .100s and some zeros at times in a calm condition.

Found some Rem bullets

In preparation for the range on Sunday I found two boxes of Rem 52 grainers. I will try them as well. If I can get three of the five groups at 300 yards under the inch I will turn the triple two loose on varmints next month.
Andy.

40 XBR 222 Magum

Recently sold one in (222 Magnum), a real shooter if you like quarter inch rifles. Mine shot pretty well w/Imr 4198, H4198, T-8208, GI 322 and REL 10x. All seemed perform as well once you found load. I shot Messer, Berger, Sierra 52 gr.

Rem 52 grainers

If you would like some more Rem 52 benchrest bullets, Jim Williams of Grayson Ga. had 20 or so thou. He has ads on BR Central classifieds w/his phone number.
HFV
In preparation for the range on Sunday I found two boxes of Rem 52 grainers. I will try them as well. If I can get three of the five groups at 300 yards under the inch I will turn the triple two loose on varmints next month.
Andy.

Back