Rem 40X-BR in 222

She was my first

My first precise rifle was a .222 Remington 40X. I shot it for years with different loads. It would group at best in the "threes". Remington rebarreled it in a SS tighter but no turn neck .222. It would then group in the low "3's and high two's at best. I rebarreled it in 6PPC and put it in a BR stock. It would group at best in the mid two's. The .222 was a delight to shoot and the 40Xwas probably Remington's best target centerfire action. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine. Tim

Tempted but

If you would like some more Rem 52 benchrest bullets, Jim Williams of Grayson Ga. had 20 or so thou. He has ads on BR Central classifieds w/his phone number.
HFV

I am tempted by the sounds of that but to import them myself means going through a lot of paper work acquiring a permit and driving all the way out to the air port to deal with customs. Just like I had to when I bought some un-primed nickel 222 brass. Just not worth the aggravation.
Andy

PS The 222 liked the combination of 22gn of 4198 and the Rem 52 grainers The agg was .468 at 200 yards but conditions were mild and consistent.

That's one rifle and cartridge I remember well. I have never gotten over not buying one when the buying was good. Excellent rifle and cartridge. I wish I had one even now. It was the first bench rest rifle I ever looked at along with the 24x Unertl scope(IIRC). All were a bit more than I had at the time and had to pass it up. If I had the chance now to turn back the clock....

40x in 222 cal

This is a story I love to talk about.
In the early 60s I wanted a 40x in 222 hvb but they had to be special ordered and was out of my price range. I was walking through a dept. store (Wilco) I looked into the sporting goods dept.and saw a rather heavy looking rifle in the rack. I asked the salesman what it was and he related to me that somebody ordered it and never came back for it. (Not letting on)I asked how in the world could a person carry that heavy thing into the deer woods. He replied "he did think it would be tough". He offered to me for = "$130 dollars" and he would throw in 2 boxes of shells. After trying to be calm, I said I would take it off his hands. Now here comes the funny part. I asked him if he had the original box with the test target that came with the rifle. As he was going back to get the box he stopped, turned and looked at me knowing he had been taken. I still have the 40x hvb with a 24x Unertel. (The scope was extra) = pet load - 24gr 4895 Sierra 52 gr br

Last edited by a moderator:
Back