Reloading press question.

Guys I've been doing rimfire benchrest for a few years but I'm brand new to the centerfire benchrest game. I'm about to buy my first reloading press. My question is will this 137.00 press work as well (be as precise if that matters) as the sinclair that cost more than twice the dollars. If they're is a better press out there please let me know. I don't want to buy a press and then realize I should have spent the extra money. Should I get a press that is a combo with an arbor like the Harrel?

6821_7777_large.jpg

09-850-l.jpg

If I'm correct a guy named Farris Pinndell (sp) said that the Lee Classic was the truest factory press available, and I've heard that some bullet makers also use the Lee Classic in their operation. Go to this web site www.factorysales.com and take a look for $73 this is a mighty nice looking press. But, it's your money.;)

Dan Honert

Last edited:
Thanks Dan! You make me feel better about being cheap.

I've been using a Lee Cast Iron Classic since day one. Never felt the press was holding me back. It is one tough press capable of doing .50 BMG.
Doubles as a boat anchor in a pinch.

Now my 6ppc gets loaded at home with a $15.00 Lee hand press.:eek:
At the time I bought the ppc I needed the ability to load on my couch.
Set my dies to the nutcracker Lee and went to work. Gun outshoots me so I see no reason to change.

Dan,

Your right from what I hear. When I went looking for bullet making presses. Lee Classic Cast was the number one recommended press. They all recommened staying away from the new RCBC Rockchuckers.

Now I really don't feel like lugging around a heavy press so I use a Harrel combo at the range. It was mentioned on here a long time ago about useing a O-ring under your die. I like doing that, it keeps the die set right, seems to improve runout and making small adjustments to cases are easy during the course of a day if brass gets a little tight.

Oh, I'd like to mention. Most runout in a convetional expander ball die is due to improper setup/alignment of the expander/decapper in the die. There is a specific way to set these dies up and it will really help. I learned from the old Sinclair reloading book and Fred himself. It's easy and an eye opener. I explained it in detail on a thread here quite some time ago.

Hovis

Last edited:
FWIW

I put an o-ring between the die body and the expander ball rod body when using dies with the ball. This allows FL dies to maintain constant headspace while allowing those always crooked expander ball rods to flex towards center.

FWIW the first thing that I do to a die that has a expander ball is take it to the grinder and make clearance so it doesn't touch the inside of the case.
But then again if I am necking up a case from 6br to 30br I'll leave the expander in to serve the purpose, once the brass is necked up, out comes the expander ball and in goes a straight decapper(sp, not in Websters) pin.

Dan Honert

In my shop I have a Lee Classic Cast. Big mother, big ram with a hole thru it for the primers to drop into a collector tube. Multi adjustable handle. Best press for the money in my opinion. I have two RCBS Partners I take to the range and matches. Got them both off ebay for about $40 each. The big Lee I bought about 5 years ago for about $65 or so. If there is a smoother or stronger press made I would like to see it. I am very happy the the Big Lee. Lee makes several presses so be sure it is the Classic Cast Iron.

Donald

Presses

All you have to do is look at the three RCBS Partners lined up on my loading table to know that it's the Dies that do the work, not the press.

All a press should do is furnish the horsepower to insert a case into a die, and remove it, while furnishing a positive stop.

In fact, you should keep as much of the press out of the equation as possible. My opinion, of course........jackie

FWIW the first thing that I do to a die that has a expander ball is take it to the grinder and make clearance so it doesn't touch the inside of the case.
But then again if I am necking up a case from 6br to 30br I'll leave the expander in to serve the purpose, once the brass is necked up, out comes the expander ball and in goes a straight decapper(sp, not in Websters) pin.

Dan Honert

Whole heartedly agree Dan. Still theres some cartridges I reload for that use the dreaded xpander. Mostly old milsurp/huntin stuff I could'nt/would'nt bother with bushing or custom neck ground dies. O rings are cheap tho and letting that rod float a bit does help a lot if theres a ball attached to it.

All you have to do is look at the three RCBS Partners lined up on my loading table to know that it's the Dies that do the work, not the press.

All a press should do is furnish the horsepower to insert a case into a die, and remove it, while furnishing a positive stop.

In fact, you should keep as much of the press out of the equation as possible. My opinion, of course........jackie

Just curious Jackie, three presses for the same piece of brass? One more and you'd have a 4 speed and really be racin. I don't think the guy was asking about spending $450 on 3 custom dies and 3 $70 Partner presses, he was asking about apples and oranges in the press department.:rolleyes:

Dan Honert

Wow I think you guys have really helped me make an informed decision here. Please tell me if I'm wrong but it looks like I'm going to order the Forster this weekend.

One thing you might consider. Go to Benchrest matches.....since you asked this on the centerfire benchrest forum.....and count the forster presses you see and get back with us.

Hovis

I just picked up a brand new Hornady Classic Lock-N-Load press, for helping friends work up loads for their larger case game rifles at the range. It is a well made, aluminum frame O press with a rockchuckeresque linkage. I got it for a steal...$70 out the door (private seller, shoots factory). The reasons that I picked it up are that it is lighter than a cast iron press (while still being sturdy enough) and I won't risk loosing die settings when I am changing back and forth between FL and seating dies, since they are locked into inserts. So far I have only played with the press at home, resizing some old .220 Swift brass, but so far it seems like I have made a good choice. Understand, I already had an Rockchucker, Harrell's turret, and a Harrell's Combo, and I have spent serious time loading with a friend's Co-ax. With a small double thickness of plywood, a couple of T nuts (countersunk), bolts and washers, and two C clamps (that I already have for my barrel vise) I will be in business. The Lock-N-Load feature can be adapted to a variety of presses. I think that it is a really good idea.

Boyd, I just got back into this thread. No, I never used the Redding dies in the RCBS RockChucker.

If I did, I wold expect them to have loaded better ammo than the RCBS dies.

George

Big Shurl ...

One thing you might consider. Go to Benchrest matches.....since you asked this on the centerfire benchrest forum.....and count the forster presses you see and get back with us. Hovis

The Forster CO-AX is a great press regardless of whether it's used at home or at the range. I've attached mine to a piece of 2x6 so it can be moved to a variety of locations and secured with a couple of C clamps. You don't always have to follow the crowd to succeed. Here's comments from a fellow who followed his own path in Benchrest.

Should You Bench Load ?

The majority of top 6PPC competitors load ammo on match day, playing with load weights to suit the charge to temperature and humidity. While this allows you to get peak velocity on a cool day, and avoid over-charges in very hot conditions, "bench loading is a huge distraction", and isn't essential.

Hall of Famer Jim Borden: "I have my ammunition already loaded for [major matches]. It's working, both rifles are Agging in the 'low Ones', with a load of about 29.0gr N133, running about 3300 fps."

"Loading to conditions on match day can kill you. All you can do is go by memory and guess-timates. If your rifle has good vibration control, you'll typically have an accuracy window of 100-125 fps."

"I set preloads for velocity in the middle of the accuracy window which lets me shoot in any conditions. Studies by Jack Jackson convinced me we could let ammo sit for as long as a year and accuracy will hold."

Preloading at home with a press of your choice is another way to do it. ;)

I know Jim, he's smart and a pretty good guy. However, please ask him this question:

How many top ten 2-guns and Hall of Fame points has he won pre-loading. And ask him the same about loading at the range. Hmmm

Hovis

Of course....

I know Jim, he's smart and a pretty good guy. However, please ask him this question:

How many top ten 2-guns and Hall of Fame points has he won pre-loading. And ask him the same about loading at the range. Hmmm

Hovis

Of course this question can be turned around. How many Hall of Fame points have YOU earned loading at the range?

yes it can....but it would be irrelevant as I have not shown the ability yet to accumalate HOF points, however, Jim has. His data would be relevant. But we can look at it another way.....how many supershoots have been won using preloaded ammo...how many nationals have been won using preloaded ammo (or how many HOF points have been won by anyone using preloaded ammo) in short range centerfire benchrest.

I would be all in favor of preloaded ammo, if it could or is shown to win regularly.

Hovis

I screwed the pouch last year at the NBRSA nationals or I would have had a HOF and possibly world record, oh well, others were in the same boat but I did manage to bring home a couple of pieces of wood....at my first nationals. And yes, I was loading at the range.

Well.....

But we can look at it another way.....how many supershoots have been won using preloaded ammo...

Hovis

I screwed the pouch last year at the NBRSA nationals or I would have had a HOF and possibly world record, oh well, others were in the same boat but I did manage to bring home a couple of pieces of wood....at my first nationals. And yes, I was loading at the range.

Well...can't remember the name, but a few years back the Super Shoot was won by an individual with preloaded ammo...plus he used moly coat.

By-the-way, congratulations on your Nationals performance. Shows you're a benchrester behind a rifle rather than just behind a computer.;)

Luck,
virg

Back