pumpkin spare parts

I was under the impression that Don's mandrels were cut on an eccentric, and thats how the fine adjustment functioned?
I may have misunderstood, but I don't think they work with a regular mandrel.
Greg

Butch is right........again.
The mandrel is not, not, not eccentric.
The mandrel is mounted in the bottom portion of the tool and the mandrel is mounted off center by virtue of the manner in which the tool is build. Depth of cut is controlled by turning the bottom portion while holding the top and then locking the two together. I have one set up for .30 caliber and one set up for 6mm. They were not cheap but they cut better than anything else “out there”.

Thank you, that clarifies it nicely now I can see how the eccentricity is built into the tool body

Don Neilsen’s neck turner

As the picture shows, the tool body moves the mandrel closer to or further from the cutter.
End of story.

Attachments

• B9E408BC-9391-434F-AF5A-5BD00F5CB3AD.jpeg
    B9E408BC-9391-434F-AF5A-5BD00F5CB3AD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 240
the picture
shows a mark on one part, and a series of marks
on the other part.
it SHOWS nothing MOVING closer..
it is just a stationary picture.
( but i have one, and t works well)
As the picture shows, the tool body moves the mandrel closer to or further from the cutter.
End of story.

The

the picture
shows a mark on one part, and a series of marks
on the other part.
it SHOWS nothing MOVING closer..
it is just a stationary picture.
( but i have one, and t works well)

eccentric mandrel gets closer or further away from the cutter when you rotate the body. Supposed to be .0001" per mark. Roughing it in requires moving the cutter in or out.

Adding Facts to the discussion

I took my pumpkin apart and put the mandrel in my lathe. Chucked up on the large end and indicated the large end for .000" TIR. Then I moved over to the small end and the indicator shows .002" TIR. The big end and the small end have two different center lines.

Like GLP says the large part of the body, part with the cutter, rotates around the center line of the pilots large diameter. Because the small diameter has a different center line the cutter will come closer or further to the pilot as it rotates.

Last edited:
I took my pumpkin apart and put the mandrel in my lathe. Chucked up on the large end and indicated the large end for .000" TIR. Then I moved over to the small end and the indicator shows .002" TIR. The big end and the small end have two different center lines.

Like GLP says the large part of the body, part with the cutter, rotates around the center line of the pilots large diameter. Because the small diameter has a different center line the cutter will come closer or further to the pilot as it rotates.

Now THAT makes total sense...... that's how I would have done it ;)

(And how I thought it was accomplished)

Let's see...... two thou divided by 36 and some eyeball, makes it an easy-to-find to-near-the-tenth system...... mark yer spot wit' a Sharpie....... ....... yeahhhh, that's a perty fine adjustment at a couple thou/turn on that big drum.

More I see of these, more I want one :)

Now THAT makes total sense...... that's how I would have done it ;)

(And how I thought it was accomplished)

Let's see...... two thou divided by 36 and some eyeball, makes it an easy-to-find to-near-the-tenth system...... mark yer spot wit' a Sharpie....... ....... yeahhhh, that's a perty fine adjustment at a couple thou/turn on that big drum.

More I see of these, more I want one :)

You would get the .002" movement in 1/2 turn. More than 1/2 turn you start going the other way, but the tenth lines are about 1/8" apart so it's easy to get an accurate adjustment. By far the best neck turner on the market.

You would get the .002" movement in 1/2 turn. More than 1/2 turn you start going the other way, but the tenth lines are about 1/8" apart so it's easy to get an accurate adjustment. By far the best neck turner on the market.

LOL!!!

Duhhh..... missed that, me

tx

Back