Pacific Tool and Gauge

Alan-

We apologize for the delay in production and we are send out your finisher on 5-25-11.
PTG

I remember "fortnight" from my college days. Neiman-Marcus would have a "fortnight" every fall highlighting a different country(two weeks of trying to sell you expensive stuff from other countries) :). Come to think of it, I think I remember seeing a guy that looked a lot like Dr. Tim lurking about at those things every year.That's probably the only reason I remember that word.
Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Fourthright

At least it was not "Four Score and Seven Years ago".

Any time you wait longer than 6 weeks you should inquire to someoone who can check the status of your order, ie: Kathleen or Kory. If you speak to Dave personally and ordersomething it may get left on his desk and missed. Dave is one of the busiest men I know.

Nat Lambeth

I called today and inquired about my order placed in March. Our postal service is about to go on strike so things aren't looking good from any direction. It looks like my order was lost, crap. At least they promised I would be high on the priority list. Kathleen is always pleasant to talk too no matter what the issue.
At least it was not "Four Score and Seven Years ago".

Any time you wait longer than 6 weeks you should inquire to someoone who can check the status of your order, ie: Kathleen or Kory. If you speak to Dave personally and ordersomething it may get left on his desk and missed. Dave is one of the busiest men I know.

Nat Lambeth

Yer joking, right? I mean come on Iv'e been around some and I don't remember hearing it before.

I guess maybe I have read a fair amount of English literature and spent some time in the UK. I'm pretty sure I knew it from high school on though but some of the other terms were new to be until I was in London a few years back- some that come to mind are queue and bonnet. I think the use the term WC a lot but that is also common in many european countries.

Fot nit

I grew up on the coast of far Eastern Maine. The people of my Grandparents age used many very Brittish words and expressions, all of which should have been written down. My Great Uncle Sam use to use Fortnight but it came out Fot Nit.

I remember wondering what it meant and the first time I got near an encyclopedia I looked it up. I also remember the difficulty I had finding the word Fotnit. . I wasn't much on asking folks questions as I guess I didn't necessarily believe what they gave me for answers. Probably why I am still that way, to some extent.

Last edited:
Mon Dieu! (from The Three Musketeers & other adventure tales)

I would have thought everyone interested in gunsmithing would have read some of the Sherlock Holmes tales, where "fortnight" pops up from time to time. ?

Charles, next question, how many furlongs in a fortnight?

There are no furlongs in a fortnight, however there 8 in a mile, but how many chains in a furlong?

Ian.

Back On Subject

I mentioned in post #7 that I was still waiting on my 30-06 Reamer.

As most know, I got it about 4 weeks ago.

Last week, a nice Lady from Pacific Tool and Gage called and said that she had a report that I was waiting on a reamer, and she assured me it would be shipped soon.

I told Her I already had it, had the Rifle together, and had already been to the Range twice with it.

I did thank Her for Her concern.:D

Been waiting since March on bottom metal that was going to ship in 2 weeks. Last phone conversation I had with them (told them I needed a no BS answer) they assured me that the bottom metal would ship on July 15th. We'll see.

clowdis, I recieved my Stainless Steel Bottom Metal for my 721, (actually 700 BDL), when I recieved the reamer. Both were ordered the same day, in mid April.

Last edited:
I will be ordering a couple of reamers and gauges on monday but i am concerned now that they wont arrive here in the UK in time for when my barrels land in october.

Ian.

clowdis, I recieved my Stainless Steel Bottom Metal for my 721, (actually 700 BDL), when I recieved the reamer. Both were ordered the same day, in mid April.

Jackie,
Mine is for a Remington model 7 footprint stainless action from Defiance Machine. If it doesn't show up by the end of the month I'll just go with an ADL type of setup and not delay construction any longer. I think a floorplate makes a much nicer action but you can only do what you can do. They said they had a run going for Remington and would save me one.

The one thing I've learned in this game is to plan early and order early. If you buy an 8 lb. keg of powder and you know it lasts about a year, place your next order when it is half full. Everything is subject to supply and demand but when your country is engaged in two wars and a 'kinetic military action' the normal wait times change drastically. As a rule, and I don't shoot competition, I try to remain 16 lbs. of powder, 5,000 primers and 5,000 bullets ahead of the game. This allows a fair amount of time to re-order and not be without.

I ordered my 30-06 Reamer for my Rem 721 project on April 5th. I called the other day to inquire, and the Lady said it was to be shipped in about a week and a half.

So I guess 6 weeks is a pretty good guess at a waiting time.

In the past, I have gotten reamers in as little as 3 weeks..........jackie

not knocking anybody, but it always has amazed me that it takes so long to get a reamer. A Starr or Walter CNC grinder will grind a typical chamber reamer +/-.0001" in about 40 minutes, with another thirty minutes to input the data and store it for future reference. But if you load off the RS232 port in the rear it's roughly a five minute job inputting the data (you can even down load strait off a PC while it's cutting the reamer for the next job). Guess it must be nice to have a work load like that!
gary

Back