Nightforce Question

josh shrum

I am just getting started in Benchrest and trying to get a feel for what glass would serve me best.

My only experience behind benchrest optics are with Weaver T-36's

I am a fan of Nightforce optics, but only own ones from the NXS line.

Are the Nightforce 15-55 Competitions too much scope weight wise (28oz) for a light gun?

Would the new Nightforce fixed 42x at 21oz be a better choice (still 4oz heavier than a T-36)?

Or am I over thinking things and should just buy my own T-36?

Any and all suggestions are very welcome, including ones for other glass (I have heard/read good things about Valdada).

Thanks,
Josh

While nf has a good rep, the fixed 42 is a new product.

Why not build on the NF weight, and use your 36x weaver to start with.

If things work out, add the fixed 42 nf.

I do not have a Weaver either, though it is certainly the most attractive option from the $ standpoint.

I agree about the 42x Nightforce, I am hesitant to pull the trigger on it until it develops a reputation for quality.

I am just getting started in Benchrest and trying to get a feel for what glass would serve me best.

Are the Nightforce 15-55 Competitions too much scope weight wise (28oz) for a light gun?

Would the new Nightforce fixed 42x at 21oz be a better choice (still 4oz heavier than a T-36)?

Any and all suggestions are very welcome, including ones for other glass (I have heard/read good things about Valdada).

Thanks,
Josh
Buy the best glass that you can afford that also affords you the ability to make weight with a gun that handles well and allows you room to spare for a tuner. Barrel length is overrated. Good optics, that are repeatable and hold poi, aren't. JMHO.--Mike

Barrel length maybe and probably is over rated. But the importance of a well balanced competition rifle IMO cannot be over stated. A gun lite in the front end doesn't behave well in the bags

Barrel length maybe and probably is over rated. But the importance of a well balanced competition rifle IMO cannot be over stated. A gun lite in the front end doesn't behave well in the bags

Oh, I don't disagree at all, but I do think one that's too nose heavy is even worse. It's not difficult to have a good handling gun..You just can't have extremes on either end, IMHO. With today's available components, it's easier than ever to put weight where you want it. I mentioned tuners because I think that it's a matter of time before they are considered standard equipment on BR rifles and that the weight of the tuner should be accounted for in any new build.

Last edited:

Given the 10.5 and 13.5 lb weight limits for LV and HV, I strive to get as much weight to the rear of the Rifle as possible.

Why not consider

Why not consider the March 36x-55x-EP zoom.
When I built the new rifle I built it around the weight of this scope. Good balance was achieved and the only issue I had regarding that was when I decided to buy into Aussie sporter. But you need not worry about that.
Andy.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh. You might want to also look at an IOR Valdada 36X benchrest scope. The weight on them is 22 oz, they use Schott glass from Germany with their own 7 layer coating, and in my opinion those 2 scopes are just as clear as my NF Comp and clearer than my 5 March scopes. They hold POI just as good as a March and probably better than a NF. I've been hearing a lot of people complaining about their NF Comp not holding POI too well. I had 2 friends sell their Comps and both went to the March 10-60's. Call Bart's Bullets and talk to Bart. 270-879-4279. He sells Valdada's. If you have any questions, he'll answer what ever question u have about them. You can also go to his web site and check them out for yourself.

Last edited:
I noticed there is no mention of the Leupold competition series or their VX-6 7-42. How do these measure up?

How about betting me a C note Lamar that a Weaver or a Leup doesn't take first place in Augusta this Sunday? Put your money where your mouth is.
Just stating facts so those who are in the market can make their choices wisely and frugally. So, I'll take the answer as no to those scopes being frozen.

Just stating facts so those who are in the market can make their choices wisely and frugally. So, I'll take the answer as no to those scopes being frozen.

Hey if people want to waste their hard earned money on junk, that's their choice, not mine. Brooksie's scope is a newer Weaver T36XR and Butch's is just a 40X Comp. You want to shoot a rifle with a Leupold on it more power to you.

Last edited:
Lamar, you'll never experience what having a good scope is like. Just keep using and sending that Leupold back to Oregon. Like I said before any Leupold scope could find it's way back to the factory by themselves. Question. How many times has that Leupold put you in the winners circle?

Well, my stats are there for the world to see....just like yours.

Well, my stats are there for the world to see....just like yours.

Look how many matches were won in Maine last year in VFS with a Weaver or a Leup. Maybe 2 at the most out of all those matches. I don't call that good at all considering there are 3 people up here that use something other than a Weaver or Leupold. I just looked over last years results up here in Maine. We had 3 state shoots, the 100-200 Nationals, and 9 club matches. That was a total of 19 yardage matches. Weaver 1 yardage match won. Leupold, 1 yardage match won. Nightforce, 3 yardage Matches won. March, 14 yardage matches won. I know that the scope is just a part of the total package, but to me I have to feel in my mind that I have the best scope going to the line and one that will hold it's POI. Can't feel that way if I had a Leupold scope on my rifle. I would feel like I'm at a disadvantage. Just bought 2 complete Borden Rimrock rifles of which 1 had a Leupold Comp 45 on it. First thing I did when I got it home is I ripped that piece of junk off it and it's being sold in Augusta on Sunday, replaced it with a new March 36-55 Zoom.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies, I have a lot more research to do.

The Valdada was also on my list, but I have not had an opportunity to get behind one. From the responses here I will have to check one out.

Thank you all for your replies, I have a lot more research to do.

The Valdada was also on my list, but I have not had an opportunity to get behind one. From the responses here I will have to check one out.

I have shot some great scores with the Valdada this year. Rock solid.

For what it's worth, about 3 years ago I put a Big March variable on my 30BR, and started dropping a lot of X's. I relented, put the fixed 50x back on, and started winning again.

I don't trust variable scopes on a Benchrest Rifle.

Countless matches have been won with Weaver, Leupold, Valdata, March, Nightforce, etc.... All that's required is that the scope doesn't "move". The rifle "moves" more than the scope in many circumstances and I suspect some have both a moving rifle and a moving scope. A 36X scope is all you need for 100/200yds and you can spend anything you want on such a scope. You can spend a lot and spend more getting it frozen....it's all up to you. If you don't have a good scope, you'll never know that you have a good rifle.

Within these words is an attempted stab at clarity. Yes, when you compare clarity, the more expensive scopes stand out. When you compare clarity to what you actually need to shoot group targets it's not so important. All you need is a scope that doesn't move and you can see where you're aiming in the worst conditions.

Back