New Berger BR Bullet

bullets and also single shot falling block target rifles, and other gun related items can be shipped into Canada without the maker having a permit to sell (notice I did not say export as there are 2 different permits here, the ability to have your product exported and the ability to export it yourself) the goods into another country, I know and have done this for years, also Denny A. who used to have an export business can confirm this, you just need to apply for an exemption on a one-time basis and fill out the proper paperwork and into Canada it comes,

problem is not all people know this and would order in sufficient quantities to make it financially viable,

and No I am not available to do it for anyone as I am just using it for my needs, check with your own importer, and if they do not know maybe it is time to look for another, just trying to clarify the LEGAL status of items into canada (may not apply to tactical reticles of scopes and other items but will apply to most items you will ever import, maybe not RCBS case lube in spray cans, I think that one is still banned as it was 5 years ago, and not sure why either but since I did not need any it did not matter)

so one can order in goods, but it is good news that a nice bullet will be available in Canada at most retailers, and yet custom Canadian bullets are still sold here and perhaps even around the world from time to time,

Jefferson

Last edited by a moderator:
Don
I have almost every bullet makers
Bullets and have test all.
I buy some of all of theirs every year
And test them again . I have been doing this many years.
And have a very large assortment .
Yes I have test even Gary Ococks and Lowell's
I been buying 5000 Lowell's every year since early 08

Hi Lou, how did the Hottenstein and Ocock minimal boat tails stack up in your "Column" bullet testing?..............................Don

I had a chance to shoot a few of the new Berger bullets last sunday. They shoot fine. My .060 free bore is almost to long for them though. Almost!! I shot them in two different rifles, and i had to jam them. They shot just as well as any other bullet i shot that day, including the old style Berger 68gr FB bullet. I do like that bullet. I hope the 68gr FB bullet will still be offered. Lee

Curious about how the Column bullet would work with my 6PPC chambers (that have a .060 freebore), I pulled out my gizzy (piece of barrel with a partial chamber) and took some measurements. The bullet that I compared it to, a Tucker #3, is one of my favorites, and has about the minimum in the case neck that I would want, but it works just fine, even in my high round barrels that have some throat wear. Even though the Column is made on a .790 jacket (The Tucker is made with an .825.) measurement shows that touching the rifling of a fresh cut chamber, its base about .026 farther into the case neck than the Tucker. Bottom line, the bullet seems to have no special throat length requirements, which is as I would have expected. Thanks to Don Nielson for giving me one of the bullets that he was shooting at the latest match at Visalia.

Last edited:
Last night Powder Valley made the following facebook post:

"Berger Bullets recall. Berger bullets has recalled item 24407 6mm BR Column bullets with a lot number of 4192. If you have this lot number please contact Berger at 714 447 5425. Just let them know you are a Powder Valley customer and you have the above listed bullet that needs to be replaced"

I for one, applaud Berger Bullets for making new products, and standing behind them. I may just start shooting all Berger bullets from now on. That plain old 68gr berger bullet sure does shoot!! Lee

Last edited:
I've had these bullets on backorder for two months at MidWAY USA. Guess I need to go to the horse's mouth. Sinclair's doesn't seem to be offering them. Larry Kuse was shooting a box of what he called bullets made in the same dies at a K.C. match. He's an old friend of Walt Berger's. Wonder what he was talking about. I got interrupted and didn't get to follow up. Made in the same dies?

I've had these bullets on backorder for two months at MidWAY USA. Guess I need to go to the horse's mouth. Sinclair's doesn't seem to be offering them. Larry Kuse was shooting a box of what he called bullets made in the same dies at a K.C. match. He's an old friend of Walt Berger's. Wonder what he was talking about. I got interrupted and didn't get to follow up. Made in the same dies?

Well I do know this much, at the time the Column bullet came out, bergwr came out with the WEB , and EUWIN bullet. I finialy got the answer to what the differences was from Eric. Eric told me that the Column bullet is made on a .790 jacket, and that the bullet has a uniformed lead column height, this is why the buellt will have diferent weights from lot to lot. the 62g EUWIN bullet has the same shape and jacket as the column but it will always weigh 62grs. The 65g WEB bullets is also the same shape as the coulmn but it is made on a .825 jacket. Now if you look at price of these bullets the price will vary dramiticly between the 3. When I talked to Berger they stated that the recall was due to "the bullets not preforming to thier expectations." I was also told that they would send out a recall postage tag for my bullets, but replacements would not be availble for at least 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Well, I checked the lot number on the Column bullets that I have and mine are the lot that's being recalled. Finally win a drawing and it's for a bullet being recalled. However, I applaud Berger for recalling them instead of just waiting for them to be shot up. If there is a problem with them not performing to their expectations, then it's good business for them to get them back and replace them with bullets that perform to their expectations. We know that the bullet works as Lou and others have proven that. I look forward to shooting them again when I get the replacement lot back.

Well, I checked the lot number on the Column bullets that I have and mine are the lot that's being recalled. Finally win a drawing and it's for a bullet being recalled. However, I applaud Berger for recalling them instead of just waiting for them to be shot up. If there is a problem with them not performing to their expectations, then it's good business for them to get them back and replace them with bullets that perform to their expectations. We know that the bullet works as Lou and others have proven that. I look forward to shooting them again when I get the replacement lot back.

Mike, do you know the reason they are being recalled other than not performing?

Mike, do you know the reason they are being recalled other than not performing?

I didn't know they had been recalled until I saw it here. I haven't called yet to find out about sending them back as I figure it was after business hours when I saw the recall so know nothing more than I've read here.

I heard from a buddy of mine that heard this from Eric, that the reason has something to do with the core seating process. I may have this wrong, but i think it was something like the cores were not seated hard enough? Or maybe it was they were seated to hard? Just not sure. I am sure it had to do with the cores though. I also just understand that all you need to do is call Berger and they will replace the bullets. Lee

I heard from a buddy of mine that heard this from Eric, that the reason has something to do with the core seating process. I may have this wrong, but i think it was something like the cores were not seated hard enough? Or maybe it was they were seated to hard? Just not sure. I am sure it had to do with the cores though. I also just understand that all you need to do is call Berger and they will replace the bullets. Lee

I won my first huntEr gun IBS match a few years ago at the Bud Pryor using Berger 110 gr .30 cal bullets. Excellent products

It's a fine line between having the cores seated too hard to where the jacket stretches and not hard enough where the jacket doesn't conform as well as it should to the die. What I used to do when setting up my core seater was to seat it to where it just popped a jacket and then back off the core seater due slightly to where it didn't pop the jacket. Skip Otto said a better way was to run a small number of jackets moving the core seater in to where the length of a jacket with seated core increased .001" in length as you turned in the core seater to get more pressure on the seated core. If you get a stretch ring in front of the seated core then you are using too much pressure.

I also just understand that all you need to do is call Berger and they will replace the bullets. Lee

I bought 3 boxes of this lot from Powder Valley to try out. I called Berger on Friday 5/25. They took my name and contact info, told me to put my bullets aside, and they would get back to me when they decided what they were going to do. While I commend them for trying to do something, I still am holding $80+ worth of bullets.

I bought 3 boxes of this lot from Powder Valley to try out. I called Berger on Friday 5/25. They took my name and contact info, told me to put my bullets aside, and they would get back to me when they decided what they were going to do. While I commend them for trying to do something, I still am holding $80+ worth of bullets.

Well they told me that they would send me a call tag, and 6+ weeks latter I would recieve some new bullets. They did not know what to do about the stuff I have/had loaded. Yes I think it is a nobel thing to admit when something isnt right, but I believe that you should have something in place. IMO if these bullets are bad, then they should replace them with the WEB or EUWIN bullet, or do what is needed to replace the bullets ASAP. I dont think anyone has bought these bullets just for them to sit around, it is match season, and I think that if your going to have a recall you should get something in the shooters hands as soon as possible. I am like you sitting on 4 boxes of bullets I planed on shooting soon, or as you put it, around $100.00 bucks just sitting there.

I apologize for taking so long to address this situation on this forum. During the Super Shoot it was confirmed that the 6mm BR Column bullets from lot 4192 are not good bullets. It has also been confirmed that other lots are shooting very well. It is clear that we've done something wrong while making lot 4192 and we will make this right.

We were not able to clearly identify the cause but we suspect that it relates to seating pressure. We have already taken specific steps to prevent this from happening again. I am confident that this will not be an issue with future lots. One thing I can guarantee is that we always stand behind our quality with a full exchange option available for those who have Bergers that don't shoot for them (whether the bullets are bad or not).

In this case we are confident that lot 4192 are not good bullets. If you have bullets from this lot please contact Berger at 714-447-5422 or you can call any other direct dial number that you have from previous situations. Everyone here is on the same page on how this will be handled. Do not contact the company you bought these bullets from if you did not get them directly from Berger. We are handling this situation directly rather than through our resellers.

After letting one of our team members know how many bullets you purchased you will be issued an RMA (Return Material Authorization) number. You will need to put the bullets you have left into a shippable box and seal it with tape. It is very important that you put the RMA number clearly on the box.. Berger will issue a UPS CALL Tag which means that a UPS truck will come to the address you provide, with a label. The driver will put the label on your box and bring the bullets back to our shop at no cost to you.

Once we record that we've received your bullets we will put you on the list to be sent replacements when they become available. At this time we are out of stock of not only the BR Column bullets but also the jackets that make these bullets. We are pushing to get these made quickly but they are not in stock today. Our best estimate at this time is that replacement bullets will be available to ship in 2-4 weeks.

Since this bullet is new and it is important to us that you try this new design we will be exchanging them for another lot of BR Column bullets only. Also, if you shot some bullets in an effort to test lot 4192 we will replace the total number of bullets you purchased rather than the number of bullets you send back to us.

I sincerely apologize for our error in making lot 4192 in a way that is not consistent with our standard operation. I strongly believe that once you are given a chance to shoot these bullets made as they should be you will see that this bullet is a genuine and capable of winning option for competition benchrest.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited:
Thanks Eric, I just spoke to Threasa and received my RMA number. Very smooth.
Thank you for all you do and I look forward to the new lot.
Centerfire

Back