Need manual for New Hermes TX engraver

Hi all. I recently bought a TX engraver off of Craigslist and am in need of an instruction manual. Does anyone have one in pdf that they could share? Thanks!

Do you have a jeweler or trophy shop close? Thats who taught me to use mine. Also sold me a bunch of stuff since they dont use em much anymore with the advent of the computer machines

I would think a call or mail to Gravograph or New Hermes would put you in contact with a manual. Their contact info is in the post above.

Duty's correct, Gravograph was just on the edge of being rude when I called to ask a question. I found other suppliers willing to sell me diamonds and, eventually, carbide engraving cutters at much better prices than Gravograph. Those suppliers offered suggestions on cutter geometry and what would "work best" for the materials I was working with. For parts, I made those myself. The machine, its self, is easy enough to operate with a bit of practice.

How do you like the carbide cutters? Are you using the motor?
I've been thinking about putting TX together and having a go at it with carbide.

I have one jay. Got a cutter made for SS. It looks cool but i dont like to cut that deep. If you need to rechamber youll have to re-time it if its not too close to the action

I have it in mind to use it on the tactical and hunting rifles that will get Cerakoted. The diamond drag doest engrave deep enough to be very legible after the Cerakote is applied.
I seldom rechamber a barrel for anything except benchrest rifles. I was engraving them with very small letters and keeping all the characters within the first inch forward of the receiver. I could cut the old engraving out when I cut the new tenon.
I never liked the look of it but it serves its purpose and doesn't get in the way later.

How did the characters look when you engraved them deep like that?

They look very good. They have ruff edges that disappear with glass beads or aluminum oxide like youd use before cerakote. The non script letters work well- the cursive letters with the outlines in the letters not so much unless its huge. Would you like me to engrave a stub and send to you before you invest? According to the profile of the cutter it looks just like the newest remington serial numbers mostly.

I'm already invested. I remember digging through the boxes of stuff I got with my New Hermes pantographs and finding several brand new cutters.

I planned to set one machine up with a motor and spindle and keep one of my other machines set up with a diamond drag so I could put my benchtop pantograph in storage and free up some bench space.

I bought several (2 to use and a good stash of parts) they all came with fonts and lots of other stuff some of it I won't ever use.

Thanks for the offer but no need to waste the postage when I have the machinery and a stub or two hundred to practice with.

Do you have the cutter head with the micrometer depth stop? I need some more fonts too- can you hook a brutha up?

Yea thats it. Makes it hard to see the cutter working but a little depth makes the letters different sizes since the cutter is tapered

I don't want to sell anything I have. When I started buying new Hermes I kept buying till I had at several of everything including spare machines.
I have 13 sets of fonts some are brand new and until I pop for a cnc mill with programming for engraving I'm going to hang onto everything I have.
I don't know when the sources for these old engravers will be exhausted so if I'm going to rely on them I want enough stuff on hand to feel secure for years.
Two years ago there was a lot more of this stuff on eBay than there is now and the price has gone up too. Keep watching and you will get an opportunity to buy a spindle.

Oh no i got one! I was asking if you had one since you were gathering parts to convert a machine. I have exactly one machine and no extra parts xcept cutters and drags. My fonts are worn

Worn fonts is what sent me searching for new Hermes stuff. I thought something was wrong with the benchtop pantograph I was using when the letters started coming out odd shaped.
I was getting ready to set one of these engravers up and I needed to get a couple of barrels finished up so I grabbed a new set of fonts off the shelf and did it with the old unit I had on the bench. It worked great.
I now know if they show any wear at all they need thrown away.

Back