Nbrsa

You say that the new blood doesn't want the work that comes with bench rest. Are you referring to the work of putting on matches or the work involved in developing skills at shooting bench rest? I'd like to address the latter. When I shot in other disciplines, bullseye pistol or Palma, there is a classification system that allows the shooter to have some recognition of their improvement as they progressed from Marksman to Sharpshooter to Expert to Master to High Master. That system allows a shooter to compete against other shooters who are roughly comparable in skill level and equipment. The goal is still to get to the top but it helps and encourages shooters to advance if they see some recognition of the work they have put forth to improve their performance. It's probably too late to attempt to implement a classification system for bench rest as the momentum of the downward spiral is too large. The elites keep shooting and winning while the rest keep eating their dust and get more and more discouraged at seeing no results for their efforts, get weary and just drop out and go to another sport.

Ok, pistol you buy everything in eluding ammo, if you want to load you can for certain matches. Hard ball is out of the box as is center fire and 22. I haven't shot in years but when I started pistol it Master right out of the box, there was no high master then.
You can not buy everything for BR. you have to make it or improve on it and you have to load ...... Pistol, grab your box and go clean and wait for the next relay..... jim

Pistol comps...

Many pistol competitions aren't just pistol. Many hold 3-gun(rifle, pistol and shotgun) matches where each gun can pretty easily top $2500 apiece....so $7500 in just guns with some way over that figure. I'd say that the $2500 number is just a good average. I played that game for a while. It's where my 30 Major derived it's name.."major power factor"(look it up) from an ar15 in uspsa 3 gun competition.

I shot with guys that took it very seriously, burning through an average of 600 rounds per day for practice...every day!

The matches take a fair amount of input from the clubs and match directors, such as barricades, targets, and setting them up. They often have as many as a dozen different stages for a match. So they need all of that range equipment for each stage. What's overlooked about that sport is that it's a mental game. The mental aspect for the competitor is figuring out how to run through each stage, most efficiently. Somebody has to plan, design and build each of those stages. That's where a lot of the match director(s) work comes in, behind the scenes.

A br match is easy to hold and requires a lot less manpower compared to those matches, by comparison. The difference is, they are bringing in the shooters and manpower to do it and most matches are single day events.

I think it's safe to say that if you're on here, myself included, this is our game of choice. Just giving the other side of that coin. BR match formats are not why range time is hard to get, except for the multi day matches. Of course it's harder to tie up a range for several days and for less money. The other games just have more demand, IMHO. With it, comes more help, support and $$$!

Carry on....

Suggestion

I don't do Face Book anymore. Some of us are active face Book users. Why not post a recruitment message on your facebook page. Wont hurt anything.

Portray the Sport as fun and relaxing. Winning is a fringe benefit of all the other great things the Sport has to offer.

Just thinking.

Glenn

I was talking NRA and Military comp.not jump around and pretend stuff..... jim

I was talking to everyone but specifically Jerry. Sorry, I should've quoted him.

Doesn't matter...If their game is jumping around, playing ring around the rosie.. they're doing something right. They are growing and crowding us out of range time. Simple as that.

I'm a fairly young guy in our sport, giving a fairly young guy's perspective. You can make fun of it if that's all ya got but it'll hit home sooner or later, unless we do something different.

They bring in new blood all the time, and they pitch in and help. Kinda proves your point about the young guys not wanting the work and cost, being why they don't shoot our game. They're playing a more expensive game that takes more work. Stop blaming the young guys and recruit them, Jim. You may not want to hear it but yours is a typical attitude among the older crowd...that blames the new crowd for not being involved in our sport. In reality, it doesn't matter whose fault it is. The sport can die blaming everything else or thrive by adapting....or die trying.

Benchrest is different than most other Disciplines in that you will never be better than the Rifle sitting in the bags.

I think you nailed it there Jackie. Got me thinking about all the other shooting I did before attempting bench rest. In all those disciplines the object was to hit the dead center X on your target. The X ring has a defined diameter based on the distance of the target and the other scoring rings follow suit. So everybody is trying to hit the same thing. Whereas in group bench rest you're trying to put bullets two through five through the hole made by bullet one on your target. A significantly different concept. In all those other disciplines the scoring area is much larger than the bullet diameter. So you can still score well with lesser equipment. Not so in group shooting. Yeah, you're really right.

I think I got suckered into group bench rest when I was at the Whittington Center shooting a Palma match. I went over to the Coors range to see what was going on and saw these guys in a big building reloading and talking. When their time to shoot came up they picked up a few rounds of ammo and their gun went out and shot five record shots, sitting down under cover and then went back into the building to reload shoot the bull and do it again. So I asked myself what do I do. I button up a heavy padded coat and lay down in the dirt under a hot sun. Wrap a tourniquet sling around my upper arm, attach it to a rifle and then squint through match sights while firing 20 record shots. When I'm done shooting I have to take my turn in the pits scoring a target and heaving a heavy target frame up and down while my back is wondering why I'm punishing it so. Meanwhile the bench rest shooters don't have to mark or change targets or do anything except shoot. So, I thought "Boy, these guys have broke the code". So I decided to try bench rest. That was about eleven years ago. In those years, I've never won a match or took a first place. I'd occasionally get a small group and I picked up a few 2nd and 3rd place wood. So, not much to show for the time, effort and expense. That said, I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot and I'm not ready to quit yet. But, I'm in the process of re-configuring my Palma rifle to shoot F-Class and will give that a try.

Last edited:
You really can't compare the two (PRS and BR rifles) I build rifles for PRS shooters, the accuracy requirement to compete in PRS is not as high as BR. I'm not saying that you don't build a PRS to be accurate but hunting for the last .001 of accuracy is really not the issue in that game. True BR is building the most accurate rifle possible and then having the skills to shoot it to it's potential. It goes back to my earlier post, it costs money to play at the top. If I could do it cheaper I (and everybody else) would do just that. I don't know how you get around that issue.

Richard I don’tthink he knows how to respond with your quote. Look at his # of posts 2 new guy trying to figure out the system.

Back