looking to get into rimfire benchrest shooting

Gentlemen:

I stand by all of my statements.

The biggest hurdle this sport has is convincing someone they have to invest $3000 to $5000 "before" the can even think about showing up at a match.

Being "competitive" by whatever definition you or I want to use is subject to debate.

But a prospective benchrest shooter will never, ever be "competitive" if he or she never even shows up at a match to "compete" because of some of the well meaning advice given on these forums. :rolleyes:

We will have to agree to disagree.:)

Mike Ohlsen

wanting to get into r/f

look at dan killoughs site. he has a nice suhl b/r rifle for sale. reasonable considering all the work that s been done to it.

dont get impatient there are 25 listed for sale here on the site.

bob

If I was interested, I'd go to a sanctioned match near you and get acquainted with the shooters. You find they will be very helpful in answering your questions if you ask 'em politely, and either before the match or after the match. Most don't want to field questions while they're busy cleaning their rifles or shooting. Several have pointed out sites where rifles are available, but this site has a classified section where many very good rifles have been sold for fair prices.
If you buy a good BR rifle already set up with a McMillan stock, good action, good trigger, tuner, etc., if it doesn't meet your expectations you can always have it rebarreled.
Hoever, if you're buying one that has a proven record of winning on a regional or National level, expect to pay a premium. 'Bout the same as buying the horse that just won the Kentucky derby:) maybe a little less $$.

If you guys recommending 40X’s are talking about re-barreled, 1.5oz triggered, custom benchrest stocked 40X’s you should probably say so. Unless you want the original poster to show up with a factory stock CMP rifle.

negpos:
Option number 2:
Shoot in competitions that let you be competitive with a rifle you want to own, and can afford.
Buy any gun you desire that has a reputation for accuracy, and go to a USBR or 3-class club match (factory sporter, custom, unlimited).
You'll have a blast for a fraction of the cost, the same chance of winning as everyone else in your class, and you’ll learn a lot about what it takes to make you and your rifle shoot.

You can always advance to ARA / RBA in the future if you choose, but at least you’ll have something fun to fall back on if it doesn’t work out.

negpos or negative post

we shoot every friday ,pick a different target every week, this week we used rba target.there was almost 40 shooters its open class shoot anything ,#1was a 64 annie 249 12x,#2 248 hall heart 18x then there was 3 coopers 248 18x's then a 246, turbo broughten 19 x's along with a couple calfee guns etc it doesnt happen very often but those lesser guns faired very well

It would be a good start

i have been searching the all over the net for somthing pre owned that i might be able to compete with.i found something that might be a good deal but would like some feed back. is the price fair and is this something that would be competative? Cooper TRP-3 22LR

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156778860

thanks in advance

I think the price is fair. You would be getting a $400 scope that is found on many winners in competition and a good front rest and a bag that would be worth something north of $250. The rifle might be a top shooter or not. I believe that you could build a good rifle on that action with that stock or you could sell it for the amount that you would have in it. Know one knows if any rifle will shoot until they find the best ammo for it and shoot with it for a while.

Concho Bill

lOOKING TO GET INTO THE GAME

negros & Bill Wayne:

COMMENT (hope it helps): If still interested in the Cooper ad, check to see what is included in the auction. NOTE: There is a place to sign in and get more information (I did not sign in, so not sure if you have already covered this subject. If you have, kindly ignore my comment ;)). There is also a Q & A process with the seller available at the auction site.

Negros, I think Bill Wayne hit the nail on the head, if the scope, rings, and rests come with the rifle. I noticed on the link you can ask the seller questions. I only saw the RIFLE listed in the description part of the advertisment. Are you sure the scope, rings, rest, and bags come with the rifle? The scope lookes like a Weaver 36 X (used by many BR shooters). Again, suggest you ask.

My guess is you might be disappointed at the current price to only receive the RIFLE, if you thought the entire rig was for sale. Again, not sure, but I made that assumption.

The scope, rings, bags, and rest are worth a fair amount (all look like nice gear), and can be used on any rifle (as noted by Bill Wayne). Never sure how much you could get for the gun in the future, but my guess is, if you get the entire package, it is, like Bill Wayne said, a good deal.

No matter which way you go in the process of getting into the game, you will always find event shooters to be extremely helpful when you attend matches. They can steer you in the right direction, save you a lot of money, and a great deal of time.

Once into the 'game,' chances are you will love it (and on some days hate it :D). Enjoy and best wishes, Doug Miller

Just Rifle and Scope

It states in the description that it's just the rifle and scope and the rest and bag are not included. The seller did add the last to the listing on the 5th so he may have been getting inquiries about such.

Les

Last edited:
Is the rifle competitive

Negpos:

As noted, no way to know if the gun is competitive, and at what level. As note by others above, you will not know that until you shoot it, try various ammo, and maybe even have some top flight shooters try their hand at it. A seasoned shooter can probably evaluate the gun quickly.

If memory serves me correctly:), I seem to recall H.L. Wickham and Scott Hamilton used to win a lot of BR RimFire matches with their custom Coopers. They won at ALL LEVELS of the game: States, Nationals, and in different venues like IR 50/50, ARA, etc. Scott is still active in the sport (I think) and if you look down the forum list, you will see folks are trying to contact him for smithing services. He is well know for his rests, Fudd Tuner, and many other innovations. He is, as well, one of the very fine people in the 'game.'

Again, best wishes, hope you do get into the 'game', and enjoy it, Doug Miller

Last edited by a moderator:
If the question was framed differently, I would have sugested that the new guy buy a 40x for the same money or less. Try the game and if he likes it, put a trigger, good stock, and depending on how it shot, a new barrel and he would have gotten into the game without wasting a dime. He also could sell out for just what he had into the gun anytime he wanted to.

You can say the same thing about skiing, motorcycle racing, etc - just about everyone starts out with something lower end to get into it, upgrades it, outgrows it and buys something pro-level if they really like the sport. Selling/telling someone to get the pro-level stuff at the start is actually wasting their money because in that case they never learn the difference between their old gun and their new gun features... as well the prohibitive cost of making them less interested if you're only trying to tell them to buy pro level gear.

I think the general trend of this thread - if you read all of the replies - that 1) the question was pretty simple "what do I need to get into rimfire benchrest shooting?" and then you pretty much made it seem like it was going to be impossibly expensive and kind of a hassle calling back and forth for match grade pro ammo that the beginning shooter doesn't even need at all anyway.

Edit: I should say that it is good information to know that the competitive ammo is that expensive - I'll be keeping my shooting to the non-pro level specifically because of that. Have to keep money around for all the other hobbies and sports I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been searching the all over the net for somthing pre owned that i might be able to compete with.i found something that might be a good deal but would like some feed back. is the price fair and is this something that would be competative? Cooper TRP-3 22LR

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156778860

thanks in advance

I know this is obviously from a difference forum but I found it to be useful: http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?showtopic=1047

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Once upon a time, some coming on 4 years ago, I made my first posts on BRC. I was a young and dumb newbie. I had aspirations of using factory sub par equipment with little improvements to compete. I was beaten down on the forum for some of those "ideas". But, I tried anyway. I at least tried. Not with the equipment that I originally thought to try (that I already owned) but with other equipment I already owned. I tried because I knew I could do this. I didn't let anyone prevent me from doing so that beat me down in this forum. I did it for myself. I've since improved in equipment. I've had my victories and my defeats, more so the latter. But I know I can do this and that is the only reason I do it.

I've seen folks "talk" about what they've done on this forum. So very few have actually "done" it. It's easy to hide behind a keyboard. But the rimfire shooting community is a "very small arena". It's not about the "tragedy of defeat" which so many of you know absolutely nothing about. Not even the original chiming of that remark. It's about sitting at a bench, gun in rest or bags, and doing your best. But in a lesson I learned many more years ago than with the Rimfire Benchrest thing. If you want to be one of the best, or even one of the guys that has a chance, you'd better take the words from those who've experienced it to heart. They mean well. They are giving you great advice. They do not mean to chase you away. It's a mindset of those that have never tried it that really don't understand. I didn't. I do now. I respect those that had the balls to tell me then.

"You can get a good look at the T-bone by sticking your head up the bulls a$$, but I'd take the butcher's word for it" - Tommy Boy

John M. Carper

Wilbur,
"The School of Hard Knocks" applies to me in Rimfire Benchrest. I can only speak of my experience. I am so happy that I made that decision to just go and do it. Shy of my children and little league baseball it has been the greatest thrill of my life.

John M. Carper

i think beat downs are being confused with something completely different...

a newbie comes on here saying he has a brand x rifle and wants to compete, then someone that has experienced the agony of buying all the wrong equipment, has wasted a small fortune.. has gone the wrong road jumps up with a quick "That Won't Work" !! we do this from remembering the grief we went thru and show a little too much passion too quickly and what was really
meant to help a new guy is mistaken as a rude beat down...there is passion
in this sport and it SHOWS;)

Are any of you long timers using the same equipment you started out with?

I think most people come here with the same questions in their mind.
Is it really going to cost me 5k+ for a rifle, 1k for a rest, 2k+ for a march scope, and ?k+ for a years worth of ammo just to start playing in your game?

JJ-IA,
What rifle and equipment are you using and what discipline are you shooting?

John M. Carper

Yes

I started with a stock Factory 52D in 94. I've modifided as I went along. I've had several barrels on it, and it still is a great action. It' me that not the same.

PS:
I shot BR50, BR30 and ARA

JJ-IA,
What rifle and equipment are you using and what discipline are you shooting?

John M. Carper
<edit>
Hi John
I introduced myself and listed the matches and yardages I’m shooting a while back in a different thread on this forum. And post number 24 is pretty specific in suggesting USBR and 3-class club matches as a great place to be if the funding isn’t available to jump in head first into the higher registered classes.

I edited my original reply here because it may have been interesting history for some, but didn’t have any place in this thread. It wasn’t a flame or anything and if you didn’t have a chance to read it shoot me a PM and I’ll gladly send you a copy of the original.

Jim

Last edited:
What feature or characteristic is it that you get in the custom action that you won't get in the old 40X,52, or Anschutz? I think is negpos were advised of this it might be more helpful to him than simply telling him he must have the "best" to start out with. Just what is it that make the custom "best". If tolerances are tighter, or finish is better, or there is some design feature that makes a custom better then tell us what it is.

If he actually shoots groups (or score) with any gun he chooses that equals the custom, isn't this good enough to establish how the guns compare? Can't he win just as many shoots with his old cheapo as he would with a custom if the guns perform exactly the same? I think we determined long ago that most all good 22 rimfires are equally capable of the same tight grouping necessary for benchrest

Do the customs shoot better because everybody shoots them, or does everybody shoot them because the guns shoot better?

Back