Looking for Advice!

JohnD28352

I am looking at getting my daughter and I involved in rimfire benchrest. I have started her shooting with a Ruger 10/22 topped with a Vortex 3-9 x 40 Crossfire scope. Right now we shoot off a couple Caldwell bags. I was wondering if I were to custom build a 10/22 style rifle from parts sourced from Volquartsen and Kidd if it would be competitive in the Unlimited class? Should I stick with a bolt gun from Anschutz to start? I am also considering the Mueller 40x56 for glass for the first rifle. I handled a CZ 455 trainer today and liked the feel, but I am unsure as to how customizable it would be. Any advice you folks could give me would be wonderful. I am taking my daughter to Rocky River Barn in Aquadale for their next club match to observe and see how this goes in person. I just thought I might get some pointers here as well.

It will not likely be,even after all the expense.
I’m sure others will chime in here, this is an often asked question, you will be FAR better served with the Anschutz, better still with a well maintained 40X, best of all a decent, unabused, purpose built bench gun. They can be had for not a ton more than the Annie.
Your daughter will likely shoot better and maintain interest longer especially compared to the 10/22.

Last edited:
"Competitive in Unlimited Class"

If you and Daughter plan on being competitive in Unlimited Class
Buy the best gun/scope and ammo you can afford

There are a lot of used benchrest gun capable of your goals
Going to matches and talking to shooters of the discipline you will be shooting is great advice.

Find a mentor if possible to help with your choices.

Many girls/women are great shooters.

Personal advice
Don't sell the 10/22--their a fun gun
--Take you frustrations out on a beer can with a 22 auto is great fun no matter who
you are or your age
--Don't expect it to win very many Unlimited matches
CLP

If you and Daughter plan on being competitive in Unlimited Class
Buy the best gun/scope and ammo you can afford

There are a lot of used benchrest gun capable of your goals
Going to matches and talking to shooters of the discipline you will be shooting is great advice.

Find a mentor if possible to help with your choices.

Many girls/women are great shooters.

Personal advice
Don't sell the 10/22--their a fun gun
--Take you frustrations out on a beer can with a 22 auto is great fun no matter who
you are or your age
--Don't expect it to win very many Unlimited matches
CLP

Be sure to empty the beer can before your daughter shoots it.

Later
Dave

John,
If your goal is simply to shoot Rimfire Benchrest, the American Rimfire Association rules will allow you to shoot practically any .22 LR gun, scope, and rest.

If your goal is to be able to be competitive, then a semi auto is a very poor choice and a factory bolt action isn't much better. Id recommend that you go to the ARA website. First read the rules. Then search under the Schedule for last Septembers National Tournament results st the Benchrest Rifle Club of St Louis.

Click on the results and then click on equipment. You will be able to see all of the equipment used by all 123 competitors at that match. Info includes action, barrel, stock, trigger, rest, scope, ammo, and gunsmith.

Then go to Rimfire Central and read all the stickies at the top of the Benchrest forum.

That should provide you with very good baseline info..

Hawkeye Wizard

Bob White at The Shooter's Corner, usually has some excellent used RimFire Bench Rest Rifles in stock. I started with a Cooper BRM which I did well with, before moving to a custom build. I shoot with a number of guys that have H&R Model 12s, which are available used very often.

Bob

22 rimfire

I am looking at getting my daughter and I involved in rimfire benchrest. I have started her shooting with a Ruger 10/22 topped with a Vortex 3-9 x 40 Crossfire scope. Right now we shoot off a couple Caldwell bags. I was wondering if I were to custom build a 10/22 style rifle from parts sourced from Volquartsen and Kidd if it would be competitive in the Unlimited class? Should I stick with a bolt gun from Anschutz to start? I am also considering the Mueller 40x56 for glass for the first rifle. I handled a CZ 455 trainer today and liked the feel, but I am unsure as to how customizable it would be. Any advice you folks could give me would be wonderful. I am taking my daughter to Rocky River Barn in Aquadale for their next club match to observe and see how this goes in person. I just thought I might get some pointers here as well.

I'd go with a Anschutz or 40X. I shot against a custom CZ,Lilja barrel and custom 10/22 that had many dollars poured into them and they did not perform well. Spend those $$$$$$$ from the beginning . I also use the Mueller 40 x 56 scope.Very pleased with it so far.

We shoot a informal varmint target, 10 - 15 good old boys The 10'22's and other don't seem to return after 1 or 2 attempts.

Thank you!!

I would like to thank all of you for your advice. I know this will be a pricey hobby to start. I will have to pick up what we need a piece at a time, so I don't run myself dry! I also should probably be 100% sure of her desire before I start buying in pairs...lol. I am a lefty, she is right-handed so we really would have a hard time sharing equipment. I know I am going to get started, her I am not as sure. 13 year old girls are known to change their minds!
Again, thanks for all the help!
John

Money Well Spent

I know this will be a pricey hobby to start. 13 year old girls are known to change their minds!

John
Any money spent on children when they are spending time with you is MONEY WELL SPENT!!!!!!!
Good memories for both of you.

The greater the success the more likely she is to continue.
That's why buying right is so important.

CLP

JohnD, there is a game for semi-autos called ABRA, which has an unlimited class and a stock class. The unlimited class 10-22’s have been refined to shoot the occasional 2450 ARA. The stock class expenditure involves a 200$ with Randy at CPC, some good ammo, and new glass to be extremely competitive. This is by far the cheapest route. For ARA, an Annie or a Suhl in a proper benchrest stock, with a tuner and good ammo “might” be competitive, but will likely need a custom barrel. You will need a 1-piece rest, and a 36x scope with solid mechanicals. And a good set of wind flags. Keep an ear to the ground for any tips regarding ammo speeds, tuner manipulations, and telltale signs on wind flags. When to shoot, and most critically when Not to shoot. Welcome to a fascinating sport. Seymour

That is the best thing to do. Most likely someone will let her try out a REAL benchrest rig. You can compete with basically any .22, but if you want to keep her interest, it will have to be with something competitive. Anyone there will steer you in the right direction. Ask Renae, she is a Fountain of knowledge and one of the fine folks that run that match.

Over on another site Slick has offered up multiple 40x’s in McMillian bedded stocks with Gorham smithed barrels at what I consider to be a reasonable price point.

Last edited:
That is the best thing to do. Most likely someone will let her try out a REAL benchrest rig. You can compete with basically any .22, but if you want to keep her interest, it will have to be with something competitive. Anyone there will steer you in the right direction. Ask Renae, she is a Fountain of knowledge and one of the fine folks that run that match.

You crack me up George! Hope Renae sees this post!

John, if things work right I'll be at Rocky River the middle of this month. If so, look for the goofy idiot and say "you must be Kenny." If you're correct, I'll laugh, if not, they will point you in the right direction. Believe me, they will point! Anyway, if I'm there, your daughter is welcome to try out my gun if you wish. Will give you an idea on what people use in this. No matter, do go to the match if possible. It will open your eyes as to what you might need or want to do. But George is right that to keep your daughters interest, you'd be best served with something competitive. Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, but something more than a CZ if possible. And I'm not knocking CZ's. Have a pile of them.

One final note. Should you meet Renae, do ask her for advice. She's a nice lady, her husband, well, he's just strange... But whatever you do, if she asks you what your goal is in this, just tell her you want to "shoot like Renae." She'll laugh, I promise!

Oh, Ralph mentioned something you really might consider. Slick is offering up some pretty nice rifles. Especially for what you're looking to do. No matter what you do, just go to a match and look around. Ask questions as anyone there will help you.

Good luck

Kenny

Guys, the poor guy may not have a clue who “Slick” is, he’s new with only 3 posts.
Slick Willy is over on Rimfire Accuracy and is also known as Bill Casey.
That said, these guys are right, the guy has a boatload of 40X’s that you can talk about and since he does have a decent track record as far as helping out, chances are if you are serious, I would not pass up the chance to score decent equipment.
He might even have a layaway plan.

Which site

Over on another site Slick has offered up multiple 40x’s in McMillian bedded stocks with Gorham smithed barrels at what I consider to be a reasonable price point.

Could you point me in the right direction to be able to see these? My ears perked up when you mentioned it!

John

More on Slick’s (Bill Casey) offerings

Guys, the poor guy may not have a clue who “Slick” is, he’s new with only 3 posts.
Slick Willy is over on Rimfire Accuracy and is also known as Bill Casey.
That said, these guys are right, the guy has a boatload of 40X’s that you can talk about and since he does have a decent track record as far as helping out, chances are if you are serious, I would not pass up the chance to score decent equipment.
He might even have a layaway plan.

http://www.rimfireaccuracy.com/Foru...Last-Rimfire-Match-in-2018!?p=70826#post70826

PM me for Bill’s phone number.

Ralph

Another nice thing

I would like to thank all of you for your advice. I know this will be a pricey hobby to start. I will have to pick up what we need a piece at a time, so I don't run myself dry! I also should probably be 100% sure of her desire before I start buying in pairs...lol. I am a lefty, she is right-handed so we really would have a hard time sharing equipment. I know I am going to get started, her I am not as sure. 13 year old girls are known to change their minds!
Again, thanks for all the help!
John

about quality equipment is that it holds value and you can resell at a latter date and recoup much of what you invested in it. --greg

As a 13 year old, she can shoot ABRA Factory or Unlimited, just pay for her ammo. The juniors have their own class, and with the equipment available thru Joe Chacon, she should do quite well. There are others, but Chacon's equipment seems to be the cream at the moment. If she gets to where she's winning and whooping up on the rest of the field, we will introduce her to boys.

Back