Lens choices for cataract surgery

TomD

e publius unum
Vision in my right eye has degenerated rapidly, going from 20-20 corrected to 20-100 corrected and worsening noticeably. It is due to a cataract but my surgery has been put off until further notice. My left eye was to have followed two weeks later. The surgery will happen sooner of later.

A question about lenses, I figure that there's a pretty good percentage of this particular group with cataract experience. The type of lens that I'd decided on is long focus both eyes. My wife had this done a few years back and got one eye long focus and the other for a medium short distance. She says that it blends seamlessly after a week or so. Nonetheless, I'm going both long. I don't care if I need reading glasses.

The question: how will this work with shooting scopes, open sights?

Tom, in October 2018 got a new prescription to correct vision to 20/20. By October 2019 I had trouble reading street name signs much past 60-70 yards. Billboard signs was like looking at a 3D picture without the glasses. Went to Marietta Eye Clinic. Cataracts were getting bad and had astigmatism also. Underwent laser surgery and chose the long focal lenses for both eyes, right eye first, check up day after surgery sight was 20/20. Week later, left eye, check up day after surgery 20/20. So 20/20 in both eyes now, do not need readers for anything. Have only been out to Riverbend twice since the operation but have no problems with scope use, have not tried iron sights yet but don't think it will be a problem, also peripheral vision of items on and around the bench or table are totally in focus. Prior to surgery white looked like a newspaper that was left out in the sun for the better part of a day, now white looks like LED bright white. Don't know it will help my shooting but at least I can see the flags better now.

8 years ago I had Lasix on both eyes. I was warned that even though I had no other problems, at my age, my vision would deteriorated in about 6 years.

I have developed a small cataract in my left eye. My vision has also deteriorated to the point that I need readers.
I went to ophthalmologist to inquire about multi focal lens replacement. He examined me and said because I had previously had Lasix, he could not guarantee I would not still have to us readers. Since my insurance will not cover that surgery anyway, I guess I will just get glasses.

This sucks. I wore glasses for 30 years, and it was great for the eight years I did not have too.

When I had cataracts removed, I decided to get lenses for long vision in both eyes, solely for my shooting needs. I don't regret it.

As I recall, replacement lenses come in ½ dioptre increments. As it happened, my left (of) eye is perfect, not corrective need can be detected even with the modern computerised equipment. Turns out the right is ¼ dioptre off, but in the right direction to help clear a foresight of iron sighted rifles.

The downside is that with the lack of accommodation with these old eyes, I do need reading glasses, but that's fine by me.

When I had cataracts removed, I decided to get lenses for long vision in both eyes, solely for my shooting needs. I don't regret it.

As I recall, replacement lenses come in ½ dioptre increments. As it happened, my left (of) eye is perfect, not corrective need can be detected even with the modern computerised equipment. Turns out the right is ¼ dioptre off, but in the right direction to help clear a foresight of iron sighted rifles.

The downside is that with the lack of accommodation with these old eyes, I do need reading glasses, but that's fine by me.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Joe's post above is a near perfect description of my last year.

yes get single vision, long is probably a good choice, reading glasses are cheap.
you will need lots of them. computer, desk, cleaning bench, reloading bench, at the range

After Surgery

For shooting, I use De-cot sport glasses.

Had an eye doctor, skeet shooter, make prescription lenses, for the decot frames.

The vision correction is positioned in the lens to assist specific requirements while shooting.

The Doctor recommended a light lens tint. there are a number of tint options to pick from.

Expensive,but worth it.

Glenn

I had cataract surgery about 5 years ago. I chose to have both eyes corrected for distance vision. I wear trifocal glasses with the upper portion having no correction (plain glass), the lowest portion for reading, and the middle is 1/2 the reading prescription which works well for my computer. I find it easier to have the glasses on my face all the time, rather than putting them on when I want to see something close.

I can shoot scoped rifles just fine with my glasses, as the upper portion is clear, and that is where you see through the lenses.

For handguns, I wear Knobloch glasses. I have always worn them to shoot handguns, and I have prescription lenses(new ones, now that I have the implanted lenses). I simply take my guns to the optometrist's office, and have him hold a sample lens in front of my eye as I focus on the front sight. I have two lenses, one for my Hammerli Free pistol, which is quite long, and one for my model 1911 and Model 52, and model 41, all of which are about the same length. I had the optometrist make two round lenses to fit the Knobloch lens holder.

Having cataract surgery was easy, quick, and the results are wonderful.

I had a cataract removed less than 2 weeks ago in my right eye. I've worn glasses since I was 3. For the first time in my life I now wear plano shooting glasses. I need readers for the next 30 or so days until they will be willing to write me a new Rx for the lens ( I hope plano with bifocal).

I am one VERY happy camper. I can see clearly, colors are much more vivid and my RMR's no longer star burst. For the first time in several years I feel comfortable driving at night. Now if I can just get through putting in the dastardly drops in the eye....but that is another 20 days away. Oh ya, I can actually shoot iron sight on the handguns again....been several years that was impossible. bob

Monovision

I had a cataract removed less than 2 weeks ago in my right eye. I've worn glasses since I was 3. For the first time in my life I now wear plano shooting glasses. I need readers for the next 30 or so days until they will be willing to write me a new Rx for the lens ( I hope plano with bifocal).

I am one VERY happy camper. I can see clearly, colors are much more vivid and my RMR's no longer star burst. For the first time in several years I feel comfortable driving at night. Now if I can just get through putting in the dastardly drops in the eye....but that is another 20 days away. Oh ya, I can actually shoot iron sight on the handguns again....been several years that was impossible. bob

Monovision is one eye sees at distance and one eye sees near vision for reading etc. I wore monovision contacts for years. Your mind seemlessly selects the proper eye. I did not wear contacts when shooting but wore glasses. When/If I were to get cateract surgery I would get monovision again. Tom and Carolyn Libby both had laser mono vision and loved it. No glasses except safety glasses when they were shooting. Good luck ------Bill

Tom,

You might want to check out Symphony and Panoptics ? Implants. Supposed to be able to see at distance and help up close.

I am a commercial pilot and the FAA does not recommend doing different vision in different eyes. Though the seamless transition it what most people experience, it can cause some issues with depth-perception. I have a convergence issue and therefore still need Prism correction even though each individual eye is now 20/20. I have Decot Shooting glasses with different correction for different shooting types.

Bob

I am a commercial pilot and the FAA does not recommend doing different vision in different eyes. Though the seamless transition it what most people experience, it can cause some issues with depth-perception. I have a convergence issue and therefore still need Prism correction even though each individual eye is now 20/20. I have Decot Shooting glasses with different correction for different shooting types.

Bob

When I had the LASIK, they gave me far away in the right eye and close up in the left. They did this because I am right eye dominate.

It dawned on me later on as I could not see my flags unless I raised my head enough to see my flags. Since I shoot heads up, it was not a big problem, but I never thought to ask if they could have made the left eye far, and the right eye close.

It worked, your brain does figure it out.

The way the doctor explained things to me, when they do LASIK, they change the focus curvature of the outer cornea. It works, but then in later life, when your eyes change because of age, they cannot perform a lens replacement that will give you good vision for distance and up close.

If your vision can always be corrected with glasses, insurance will not pay for cataract surgery. Only until the cataract impeachment your vision beyond eyewear will it pay.

I told the doctor I would pay for the very best replacement lenses, no problem. It would be around $10,000. But he said it made no difference. The LASIK screwed things up.

Geeze, I’m going to hate wearing glasses again. Guess I could have the distance lens replacement and were plain glass on top and bifocal on the bottom.

Last edited:
I got distance vision lenses

because I was really having trouble seeing the scope dot and/or rings. I was also having trouble driving at night and had pretty much turned that over to my wife.

I told the doc I wanted the absolutely best, sharpest, long distance lenses he could give me. He hit it "on the nose" in both eyes and I'm now 20/15 in both eyes. WOW! what a difference. And, I can again see to drive at night.

I had this done back in January. Vision was great from about the 3rd day. I've worn reading glasses for years but find that I often don't need them unless the print, or whatever, is small or in poor light.

Good luck,
glen o

Old Age

I can’t see worth a damn. Got laser iridotomy surgery five years ago. as a Preventive maintenance recommendation.

At the time,Had cataracts but not at a stage that needed surgery,According to Doctor. Due for another eye exam
soon. .

Cant hear worth a damn. High and low frequency loss in both ears. Have issues with locating where sound is coming from. Failed fitness for duty exam because of the condition.

Things dont seem to smell like they used to. Thats OK, for when i need to go to the toilet every morning at 7:30AM.:D It also helps when you’re around people that dont practice good personal hygiene.:D

It sucks when shopping for cologne.:D

Sense of touch left years ago. None of the enhancement drugs work anymore:(

Now gotta deal with this virus.

Its hell getting old.

Glenn

Last edited:
because I was really having trouble seeing the scope dot and/or rings. I was also having trouble driving at night and had pretty much turned that over to my wife.

I told the doc I wanted the absolutely best, sharpest, long distance lenses he could give me. He hit it "on the nose" in both eyes and I'm now 20/15 in both eyes. WOW! what a difference. And, I can again see to drive at night.

I had this done back in January. Vision was great from about the 3rd day. I've worn reading glasses for years but find that I often don't need them unless the print, or whatever, is small or in poor light.

Good luck,
glen o

Sounds like a plan.

The way the doctor explained things to me, when they do LASIK, they change the focus curvature of the outer cornea. It works, but then in later life, when your eyes change because of age, they cannot perform a lens replacement that will give you good vision for distance and up close.
My ophthalmologist explained that the power of the replacement lens required was a function of the distance from the cornea to the retina. LASIK makes an unknown (to your doctor) change to the normal cornea, which means that the measurements are likely not to be correct.

My ophthalmologist explained that the power of the replacement lens required was a function of the distance from the cornea to the retina. LASIK makes an unknown (to your doctor) change to the normal cornea, which means that the measurements are likely not to be correct.

That is exactly how he explained it.

I think I will go back and ask for the very best distance vision he can give me with lens replacement and then just opt to wear readers for up close.

Now I'm all excited and ready for the surgery. It was originally scheduled for the 14th and 28th of April but I have no idea when it will be now. My distance vision is now gone, no longer correctable by glasses, driving is getting to be a problem.

Back