kelbys trigger

T

thehippy77

Any thoughts any one useing one. Same or better than the rest.

I have a Jewell and a Kelbly trigger in my guns I like them both, just a matter of preferance, both work well.

Dan Honert

Last edited:
the best

I keep asking the question what is the best and every time I get the same answer. Has the industry gotten to the point that there is no correct answer to this question. thanks for the input and info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two good products...Just like trying to say which action is best. More personal preference than anything else.

Hovis

there is no 'BEST'

I keep asking the question what is the best and every time I get the same answer. Has the industry gotten to the point that there is no correct answer to this question. thanks for the input and info.

Not in any product category. Not cars, computers, hammers, windows, deck stain, baker's yeast, or triggers.

And it's KELBLY, with two 'L's in the spelling.

As to product choices, do your research, pay your money, and take your chance.

The Jewells and Kelblys are great people and have done a tremedous amount for the precision shooting sport. I doubt if anybody would feel comfortable posting anything negative about either of them on this or most boards frequented by benchrest shooters.
I've had both and know a lot of folks that like both of them But I know people that like Shilens and Timneys, also. I'm so po' that I have old Remington housings with homemade parts in them. Whadda I know?

Jay, Idaho

I've heard good things about the Kelbly trigger.......But the Jewells are so good that I can't justify just replacing one to try a Kelbly. I almost can't wait until I need another BR trigger.....so I can try a Kelbly.

You might be able to find folks in your area with rifles with both triggers and do a comparison before laying down a penny.

-Dave-:)

Trigger

I have used a Shilen, a modified Remington, a Jewell and the Kelbly as well as the latest version of the Hart 2oz. They are all great and which is best is a matter of personal taste.

We are lucky to have so many to pick from.
Paul Ryan

I have both, use both, there are those that hold the opinion that the Kelbly with fewer moving parts and no wound springs holds an advantage, but at a pretty stiff premium. Probably no absolute answer.

Best is very subjective , there is no clear cut answer to best trigger, action or barrel etc.

Yes the industry has reached the point where we have such a very good selection to choose from when trying to build a BR rifle that best is just one persons opinion and not at all absolute

Well here you go ...

...the problem is not with the products but the question. When you ask a subjective question you will get either a subjective or possibly vague answer. When you ask a question like: which ***** (insert product choice: primer; action; barrel; chambering; etc) is best? You are asking someone to choose based on their experience what is the correct choice for you. We are not you and therefore you are not us and without any other information you want us to reject one product in favor of another for your use. There are many good triggers available nowadays and many are specialized for a particular shooting sport.

Perhaps if you asked: “Has anyone had any experience with the multiple pivot point system of the Kelblys trigger versus the adjustment screws and springs system of the Jewell or Shilen trigger for changing weight of pull?”

If one asks a question with clearly defined parameters he shall receive a well defined answer. The inverse would be an “oversized question” Like: “what is the best drink to have at the stroke of midnight at my New Years Eve Party?” You will receive many answers revolving around beverage of choice and whether or not the guest will be driving. Now if you asked: “At my New Years Eve Party we are planning to have a champagne toast at midnight. I would like to have a non alcoholic beverage for the “Designated Drivers” something like sparkling cider, ginger ale or perhaps maybe sweet and sour mix with some seven up or soda water. Which beverage would be your choice if YOU were the Designated Driver?” A question asked like that will still produce answers like: coffee; hot chocolate; or perhaps one of the various cola beverages but will rarely produce information outside of the parameter like, straight shots of ***** (insert distilled beverage of choice”.

Nic.

There are other problems with "best." It would be possible to get, say, 25 random samples of each trigger, and test them extensively. Far as I know, no one since Stuart Ottman has done this. So, Mean Time Before Failure becomes "I had a couple of them break." Sorry, that's not good data, it's what the doctors call anecdotal.

There are other things to test with triggers. If, for example, you shoot position, you want to be able to put some pressure of the trigger, stop, and pick up where you left off, without completely releasing (resetting) the trigger. You want the weight of pull to be the same, no matter how many times you have to stop & reapply pressure.

But sometimes you have to release & start over; is the weight of pull the also same under those conditions (as when the trigger is reset by working the action)? Probably less important to a benchrest shooter, but quite important to a position shooter. Notice the word "probably."

Then there is consistency with weight of pull. When you are young, a 1.5 ounce trigger can be played. It is disconcerting if the amount needed to break the trigger changes. When you get old & peripheral neuropathy starts in, you don't even put your finger inside the guard until you're ready to shoot. Again "best" becomes personal: all research data can give you is numbers; sometimes those numbers aren't useful.

Think on it. Starting from zero equipment, you'd spend close to $10,000 your first year of shooting. That counts travel to matches, food, motels, etc. as well as equipment and ammunition for practice. The price difference between a "cheap" BR action and an "expensive" BR action is about $400 to $500, or a five-percent difference in that big-picture cost. If there were a "best" that wasn't simply personal preference, we would all use it. Aside form scopes, actions are probably the most expensive component out there, so for less expensive components, anything that really is "the best" gives you nothing to think about.

Scopes may be the one point where price does become a factor & people may settle, though even here there are options, and no one I know has done enough testing to have statistically significant answers.

Any thoughts any one useing one. Same or better than the rest.
Hippy, having used both for a couple of seasons, the strong point of the Kelbly trigger is that it can be adjusted down to less than an ounce, or it can be adjusted up to over 3 pounds, within the same trigger. The strong point of the Jewel is that it can be adjusted in all three adjustments, while the trigger is seated in a glue-in action.

The only

issue I see with the Kelbly trigger is the very small amount of travel of the sear bar when in the lightest position. It makes the amount of engagement very critical to the cocking piece. I have not had the best of luck with them in our actions. Usually they drag on the cocking piece out of the box. I will remove a very little material off the bottom of the cocking piece until it clears. If that is done right, it will work fine. If not, you will get the gun letting go without pulling the trigger at times after setting. I have never had an issue with a jewell in the setup.

I am not blaming the trigger. My placement of the trigger and hanger has been optimized around a Jewell, and who knows for sure what Remington really has here. My actions also match up with what Shilen has designed around. So far it is the only trigger I have had this issue with.

Me - -

I have not owned a Kelbly but have owned all the others. Personally, I can't justify the extra cost of them.

I have never had an issue with any of the triggers I have owned BUT, I have personally observed some 8 or 9 Jewells fail at or in matches in my 9 years of attending competitions. I have never seen another brand experience a failure but I don't see all of the failures I am sure.

issue I see with the Kelbly trigger is the very small amount of travel of the sear bar when in the lightest position. It makes the amount of engagement very critical to the cocking piece. I have not had the best of luck with them in our actions. Usually they drag on the cocking piece out of the box. I will remove a very little material off the bottom of the cocking piece until it clears. If that is done right, it will work fine. If not, you will get the gun letting go without pulling the trigger at times after setting. I have never had an issue with a jewell in the setup.

I am not blaming the trigger. My placement of the trigger and hanger has been optimized around a Jewell, and who knows for sure what Remington really has here. My actions also match up with what Shilen has designed around. So far it is the only trigger I have had this issue with.

Jerry, is your issue there no matter what lenght pin is used in the trigger? I ask becaues it seems a fair number of folks do not seem to realize that there are at least 3 different lenght pins. About how much material are you talking off the cocking piece?

When I

got my trigger there was only one pin that could be placed in the different holes. It was a very early one. I took off maybe .030 on the cocking piece. I took enough off such that there was .010 clearance for the sear bar to reset. By design, the amount of sear bar travel is very small in the light position. It should also have the least drag etc on the cocking piece which is good. Like I said, if all the dimensions are right, it would probably never cause an issue.

Trigger function

It is true that with the Kelbly BR trigger, one can experience a problem with drag on release of the cocking piece, or an insufficient amount of engagement between the cocking piece and the top bar bearing surface. This is easily corrected with a different size pin located under the top bar, which we will supply at the customer’s request.

Replacement of this pin eliminates the need to modify ones cocking piece to get the Kelbly trigger to function properly with actions other than Remington or Stolle.

Unless requested otherwise, triggers shipped from Kelbly’s have the correct size pin to function in a Remington 700 action with the original Remington firing pin assembly, or its exact equivalent.

For other information on the Kelbly trigger, please visit our website or request our literature.

If anyone has further questions on this matter, please feel free to contact us at 330-683-4674.

Regards,
Greg Walley
Kelbly's, Inc.

Back