Jeff Patterson's J-PAT SPEC Rifles

BREAKING NEWS!!! J-PAT SPEC 2 "HIGH TABLE" Delivered!!!

Larry Parsons has taken delivery of J-PAT SPEC 2, High Table.

Don't know where he plans to put this rifle into service, but I hope it is soon.

J-PAT SPEC 3 is next to be built.

Larry Parsons also owns this one. This rifle will be named "Against the Wind".

Jeff is moving right down his list. Jeff has committed to building 13 total J-PAT SPEC rifles.

PS: There is rumors about J-PAT SPEC 4. There could be a new owner.

I'll wait for confirmation from numerous sources before making an announcement.

You know, just like our News agencies use to do before they became pollical operatives.

TKH (4628)

High Table 2.jpg

Last edited:
Tony, Larry P. and Denny C. swapped positions so Denny is up next on Spec 3, and Larry moved back to Spec 13. Denny's rifle will be named "Perfect Storm".

FYI only.

Larry

Tony, Larry P. and Denny C. swapped positions so Denny is up next on Spec 3, and Larry moved back to Spec 13. Denny's rifle will be named "Perfect Storm".

FYI only.

Larry

Thanks for the update.

I think the updated list should look like this. It keeps getting better and better.

Spec Owner ----Name ------Configuration -----Status

P1 Robert Oates Primevil "A" Delivered 11/21

P2 Larry Parsons High Table "A" Delivered 2/10

P3 Denny Cronin Perfect Storm "A" Next Build

P4 Anthony Wright TBD

P5 Mike Sherrill TBD

P6 Bill Collaros Waltzing Matilda

P7 Brian Stehlik TBD

P8 Brian Stehlik Jr. TBD

P9 Larry Mills Tombstone

P10 TBD The Virginian

P11 Norm Flynn Red River

P12 Brian Brandt TBD

P13 Larry Parsons Against the Wind

Configuration Notes:

A = Turbo V3 action/Muller 8 groove barrel/FF Whisper trigger/Harrell’s tuner/McM

TKH (4628)

Last edited:
I like Mr. Parsons but I don’t think that he finished very well. You should check the final results.

Thanks drknite. I see some promise in the results from his first card for a brand new rifle. These are the first rounds in a match for this rifle, without having any tested ammo lots to work with, so let's give him and the rifle some time to show what they can do.

Larry

I did not say that Mr. Parsons rifle is not going to be competitive. What I am saying is we need to slow down on all the hype Calfee and some others are saying about them. Some of them I am sure will turn out to be very good rifles, but I have serious doubts that every one will be killers and win national events as Calfee is portraying them. JMHO.

drknite, I don't think anyone who posted in this thread has said that all these rifles will be killer. There is excitement to see new rifles from a proven smith coming on board and time will tell if the owners can find ammo that shoots well in these rifles and goes on to win some matches. I am also excited to hear the rumor that Mr. Stiller is producing some quantity of PAS designed rifles as well (if the rumor turns out to be true). It's a great time for RFBR when you have a couple of these projects coming to fruition.

Best regards,

Larry

J-Pat Spec 4 Update

I got confirmation an a change of ownership for J-Pat Spec 4 when I spoke with Anthony Wright last night.

Anthony told me that his grandson, Hudson, will be the owner of Spec 4 and Hudson’s going to name his rifle “The Animal”.

Hudson is a junior competitor who holds his own against the seniors. For instance, he agg’d over 2300 at the December Indoor Nationals and finished seventeenth in a field of seventy-eight competitors.

His 2021 accomplishments include:

2021A Arkansas Indoor Factory Agg and A-Line Champion

2021 ARA Junior Recognition Tournament - Second Place

2021 ARA Outdoor Unlimited Junior Nationals - Third Place

Here’s the back story how Hudson earned ownership for J-Pat Spec 4:

Hudson shoots with his grandfather Anthony who is a serious ARA competitor himself. Anthony owns several killer rimfire benchrest rifles originally built by Bill Calfee and most recently “refreshed” by Jeff Patterson.

Anthony and Hudson shoot both unlimited and factory matches not only in their home state of Arkansas but also in West Virginia, Kentucky, Texas, Missouri, Georgia, and Louisiana.

Hudson’s father, Coleby, promised Hudson that when he achieved national recognition he’d set him up with his very own rifle. Apparently the sky was the only limit and Hudson will become the proud owner of one of thirteen rifles that Jeff is building in his “series one” spec rifles.

With the first two J-Pat Spec rifles already in owner’s hands Hudson may very well have his new rifle in time to shoot it in the 2022 Outdoor Nationals.

Congratulations Hudson!!!!

Updated Tracking List for Jeff Patterson Spec Rifle Series:

Spec Owner ----Name ------Configuration -----Status

P1 Robert Oates - Primevil - "A" - Delivered 11/21

P2 Larry Parsons - High Table - "A" - Delivered 2/10

P3 Denny Cronin - Perfect Storm - "A" - Next Build

P4 Hudson Wright - The Animal

P5 Mike Sherrill - TBD

P6 Bill Collaros - Waltzing Matilda

P7 Brian Stehlik - TBD

P8 Brian Stehlik Jr. - TBD

P9 Larry Mills - Tombstone

P10 TBD - The Virginian

P11 Norm Flynn - Red River

P12 Brian Brandt - TBD

P13 Larry Parsons - Against the Wind

Configuration Notes:

A = Turbo V3 action/Muller 8 groove barrel/FF Whisper trigger/Harrell’s tuner/McMillan SF

Expectations for New Rifle Builds - the Gunsmith and the Owner

This thread is a real-time chronology of Jeff Patterson’s series of thirteen (already pre-sold) rifle builds. The thread, among other things, includes the series announcement, a bit of Calfee Spec rifle history, pictures of SPEC-P1 and the component description of the rifles.

I guess it was inevitable, now that SPEC-P2 was shot (Feb-11 at Howard Prince) in competition - that the initial results would draw comments from the “forum following” RFBR community.

The phrase that caught my attention was caution to “slow down the hype” (#33) and “serious doubts that every one will be killers” (#33). This posting prompted the thoughtful response, “There is excitement to see new rifles from a proven smith coming on board and time will tell if the owners can find ammo that shoots well in these rifles and goes on to win some matches” (#34).

This exchange prompted me to share my thoughts on what might be expected from Jeff Patterson’s “series one” SPEC-P Rifles. The majority of my thoughts are not specific to Patterson’s Spec rifles but also apply to efforts of any gunsmith who builds rifles for RFBR competitors.

First a little history. Many of Calfee’s “project” rifles as well as his Spec rifles had engraved (jeweled) actions and were often labeled with the rifle’s name as well as Calfee’s name on the butt stock. This bold move to label his rifles enabled the RFBR community to track not only the current ownership but the performance of these rifles in competition. Fortunately for Mr. Calfee several of his Spec and project rifles have performed well ... examples include Spec 4 (Merlin), 5 (Black Death), 6 (Duke of Earl) and 7 (Paladin) and project rifles Rooster, Chisum, Deuces Wild and TDX.

However, there were Calfee builds that have yet to achieve “killer” status ... Spec 9 (Georgia Shaker) is one example, but there are others. Is it the gunsmith or the rifle’s owner/shooter who bears responsibility for either the successes or the shortfalls of any benchrest build?

I’m convinced that the SPEC-P gunsmith, Jeff Patterson, does his best to build a rifle that sets a new standard of performance - i.e., consistent accuracy and precision under varying range conditions. This series of thirteen numbered rifles, all built with the same components WILL become RFBR icons ... much like Calfee’s Spec rifles. Assuming they do set a new standard of performance how they do in heads-up competition will largely be the responsibility of the owner/shooter.

The gunsmith can only do so much ... it’s up to the owner to put the rifle to work. Where “the rubber meets the road” is largely the result of the owner’s commitment to achieve the rifle’s potential. Seasoned competitors already know what’s involved in developing and maintaining a rifle that will become a “killer”. Less experienced shooters may struggle to bring their SPEC-P rifle up to killer status. There are several examples of original Calfee Spec/Project rifle owners who gave up on developing their rifles and sold them to a shooter who inevitably made them famous.

Regardless of the experience or skill level of the rifle’s owner(s) the objective is the same - shoot consistently high scores, win matches and championships.

Very straight forward in concept but much more difficult to achieve in a sport where the level of competition is extremely high.

J.B. Books

A quote from John Wayne's movie "The Shootist" (Wayne's character is the original J.B. Books)

Carson City Marshal Walter Thibido : To put it in a nutshell, you've plum wore us out.

John Bernard Books : Put it in a nutshell? You couldn't put it in a barrel without a bottom. You're the longest winded bastard I've ever known.

Last edited:
The gunsmith can only do so much ... it’s up to the owner to put the rifle to work. Where “the rubber meets the road” is largely the result of the owner’s commitment to achieve the rifle’s potential.

There's a fine group of shooters on Jeff's list. We all complain about the cost of equipment and shooting this sport. IME, the majority of the money is not in equipment, but at the shooting bench, both practice and in matches. For example..ask Parson's how many bricks he shoots every week! THAT'S where matches are won and lost and where the WISE money is spent. Not taking anything from the equipment that is the subject of this thread, just stating that "he(or she) that practices most and best will have the fewest excuses. There are no shortcuts and wins are bought...but at the practice bench...not in equipment. You can short yourself, equipment wise but there are any number of good guns that can win regularly in the right hands. We all(almost) shoot good equipment. It's not about 6 oclock vs 12 oclock or sap vs pas. It's about working for it. I PROMISE!

No, we don't all practice the same nor as much!

Last edited:
Maybe we should start a new thread, to talk about what most don't want... practice, will, desire, attitude, mental, and so on...

That said, looking/owning, a good rifle is a very positive mental feedback.
I'm delighted seeing all those great and well done rifles, in Europe and abroad. And always from seeing learning something, that little detail that could made me a more relaxed shooter. A gorgeous rifle is one of them.

Back