Is There Such a Thing as a GOOD Shooting Related Movie?

4Mesh

And please don't say "Shooter"... :rolleyes: I'd be interested in something at least remotely believable.

No need to go to the movies. My wife likes Law & Order on TV and there is a LOT of shooting in each episode. Plus, much of the shooting is done by good lookin' gals. A bonus.

ray

Thanks Al, I added it and 'll be getting it soon.

Ray, while I did recently get TV at home, it has not been on since the night of the Super Bowl. I guess it could be said that I don't watch a lot of TV shows... However, the good look'n girls doin the shooting would definitely add to the appeal.

Stick the original 'Sniper' in your queue, the one with Tom Berenger. Of course it's Hollywoodized but it has some OK guns in it.

As has been mentioned, Quigley is in a class of its own. After that, two that I like for realistic gunfights are Open Range and Appaloossa.

Open Range was filmed well. I've got an 8ft wide screen and full effects surround and watching Open Range you feel like you're gonna' get some on ya.... rain and wind and mud that is.

And I just remembered, dunno if it's "a shooting movie" but Lonesome Dove is classic.

HBO, Showtime etc. has some very good shooting movies on almost 24 hours a day, but for some reason they all seem to take on a similar theme.

Ya know, a couple of bad guys with Mac 10s chasing the illustrious hero in a crowded shopping mall spraying 9mm rounds everywhere while managing to hit just about everything but the intended target.

Our hero then suddenly turns, gets off two quick shots from his trusty 38 Special, hitting both bad guys squarely between the eyes.

Hollywood, surely you could do better.

Ford42

Well, I don't know if it can be classed as a "shooting related" movie, but the originol Dirty Harry, starring a Model 29 Smith & Wesson, (a actor named Clint Eastwood co-starred), made the 44 Magnum a very desireable item to have by many who had never even heard of one before.

Of course, that was before they actually shot one, and understood what Sir Issac Newton meant when he thought up that "for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction" thing. The love affair cooled off pretty quick........jackie

An older movie with Chow yun Fat (crouching tiger hidden dragon fame) called Hard Boiled. Not a sniper type movie but a great action flick with a decent plot. dubbed in english.
a

If you go back a ways there was Winchester '73 and Sergeant York. I still like Quigley Down Under.

Concho Bill

Thanks Greg, both are added here.

Al, I've seen Sniper and Lonesome Dove. Also seen Dirty Harry. Clint's stuff is timeless. For those who've not seen Gran Torino (Clint again, with a gun er 2), you really have to check that out. That is if you like serious movies.

There sure ain't much available on Blu-ray. Even if yer willing to buy it's slim pickins. Appaloosa is the only one of the movies listed above available on blu. Greg's two snuck under the radar for me, I'd never heard of either one.

Al, I went the same route in the house here. Projection is awesome. I've done some "movie nights" outside for the friends and family here. I've got a 20' screen and frame that I set up in the yard and project out the upstairs window here. Indoors I shoot a 104" All can be controlled from anywhere with any smartphone via web interface, it's pretty kewl. Even from your house! With enough bandwidth, you can watch it on the phone too!

Sergeant York I can do but Winchester '73 is jimmy stewart, can't deal with him...

For all you ballistician types out there, you might try "Wanted" w/James McAvoy

Last edited by a moderator:
How about "Never So Few"? A war movie....yes....but with plenty of firearms, movie stars from a time gone by.......and, of course....Gina L.( Liz Taylor only wished she was as beautiful.....IMHO).

One of my favorite movies.

BTW.....there's "Joe Kidd", with Eastwood and Duvall.

Kevin

Last edited:
"Enemy at the Gates."

The true story of a duel during World War II between celebrated Russian sniper, Vassili Zaitsev, and the Nazi's best sharpshooter, Major Konig, set against the epic battle of Stalingrad.

Then there is, "The Ghost in the Darkness." Based on the Lions of Tsavo..

The film is based on a true story and during the construction of the bridge, the lions would enter the workers camp to kill. Believing them not to be real lions, the locals name them 'The Ghost' and 'The Darkness'. After losing dozens of workers to the lions, the railroad company brought in Remington, an American 'great white hunter', to kill them, but even his reputation for being the best could not prevent yet more carnage. It is believed that over 130 people were killed by the two lions in just a few months.

Both pretty intense flims. However, my favorite too is "Quigley Down Under!!"

Rod

I know one thing, It wasn't the original 1971 The Hunting Party, although the rifles & scopes were interesting. It forever stamped gratuitous as the Hollywood adjective.

Back