IR5050 Sporter Nationals

MaxxPower

3 New World Records were set at the Sporter Nationals this weekend. They were set and not broken since they're either new or newly recognized events. Congratulations to these shooters. Full results will be up on ir5050.com soon.

Sporter Match Yards- Tony Harper 749-48x

Sporter Match Meters- Bob Hill 748- 35x

Sporter Match 6-Gun Agg- Dennis Drake- 1494- 78x

Piney Hill sporter match

Congrats to all the winners and grinners .
Thank you Bruce for running a great match
We'll be back
All the best Ray

May Be Time for a Change

ARA
The north east could shoot a Three card Sporter match in the morning and a UL match in the afternoon. Unlimited scope power and EIGHT POUND SPORTERS. Never to be DQED by 2/10 oz.

Good Show Bob, I'm proud of ya.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Couldn't have done it with out that Gordon Eck Sporter...or Al Hadfield"s tutoring.. Thanks for a well run match Bruce and a fine job scoring that your wife did...Was nice to shoot with you all down there.. Congrats Tony and Dennis on your records. The New England boys had a good time..

Bob Hill

Congratulations Tony, Bob, & Dennis on some terrific shooting. Also to the others that shot well.
Thanks Bruce & Vicky for a great match & hospitality.
I was pretty disappointed in the turnout though. I expected 30 shooters or so & to only have 15 for a National seems like a shame. In thinking on it since I wonder if separating it from the 3 Gun Nationals was a good idea. I hope it wasn't a sign of lack of interest.

Keith

Perhaps it's the indoor thing

I would never go again. The last time I went there the ambient was so toxic I nearly puked when wearing a HD painters mask. Can't be healthy hanging in all that smoke, etc.

I am "sited" about the Sporter class though. We are going to host a bunch of them OUTSIDE this year.

Pete

Ya might

ARA
The north east could shoot a Three card Sporter match in the morning and a UL match in the afternoon. Unlimited scope power and EIGHT POUND SPORTERS. Never to be DQED by 2/10 oz.

if the rifle weighed .2 oz over.

Pete

Things have changed

I would never go again. The last time I went there the ambient was so toxic I nearly puked when wearing a HD painters mask. Can't be healthy hanging in all that smoke, etc.

I am "sited" about the Sporter class though. We are going to host a bunch of them OUTSIDE this year.

Pete

Pete, I had heard you & others say it was nasty shooting indoors. They've changed things down there. For those that have felt that way, ya might want to give it another shot. I found it an enjoyable place to shoot.

Keith

Congratulations Tony, Bob, & Dennis on some terrific shooting. Also to the others that shot well.
Thanks Bruce & Vicky for a great match & hospitality.
I was pretty disappointed in the turnout though. I expected 30 shooters or so & to only have 15 for a National seems like a shame. In thinking on it since I wonder if separating it from the 3 Gun Nationals was a good idea. I hope it wasn't a sign of lack of interest.

Keith

Keith:

I appreciate the NorthEast guys showing up. It meant a lot to see you guys making the long trip.

I was disappointed in the turn-out as well. There was a nice upturn in the amount of Sporter targets shot in IR5050 last year and making the Sporter Nationals an actual stand-alone event instead of an exhibition event like it had been seemed to be a formula for good attendance but I chalk it up to an experiment that didn't work. I think next year will see the Sporter and 3-Gun Nationals run on the same weekend.

Bruce

Thanks Keith !

Keith since you were there, why don`t you post the results , looks like no body else is going to! [/QUOTE
Slick, the results are posted on the IR50 site. Here are the results for yards though.
http://www.ir5050.com/results2/?Date=02/20/16&clubid=53
And the results for meters
http://www.ir5050.com/results2/?Date=02/21/16&clubid=53

Nice shooting yourself this weekend.

Keith

Lack of Promotion is the Culprit ! No Hype ! Every body that owned a Sporter in 100 miles of that place should have been there and was not ! There should have been 40 -50 in that range from Luray. Go Figure ! Rally the troops Keith!

MaxxPower,

Thank you for trying!

I just don't understand! Here we were in the middile of Cabin Fever Season when everyone looking for a reason, or excuse, to get out of the house, so you would have thought as many shooters would have shown up as could have possibly gotten there. I know if I were still shooting rimfire, and didn't have so many health issues, I sure would have tried.

It's saddens me to think that of those who did shoot, at least 3 out of the 15 (20% of the names which I still recognize, but there could have been more) came down from the Northeast and drove the 600+ miles (each way) to do so. Where were the Locals? Or the South Boys? I don't get it. Most regular matches at Piney Hill draw a bigger crowd than 15.

Yup, I guess maybe the Sporter Class just isn't strong enough to carry a stand alone event, big or small, no matter what's being offered. I mean, if for no other reason than for taking a crack at all those HOF points should have made it a no-brainer.

Sorry for the rant.

Dave Shattuck

OK Keith

Pete, I had heard you & others say it was nasty shooting indoors. They've changed things down there. For those that have felt that way, ya might want to give it another shot. I found it an enjoyable place to shoot.

Keith

Given good information, I can and do change my mind.

Thanks,

Pete

I wonder if your sporter rimfire class

MaxxPower,

Thank you for trying!

I just don't understand! Here we were in the middile of Cabin Fever Season when everyone looking for a reason, or excuse, to get out of the house, so you would have thought as many shooters would have shown up as could have possibly gotten there. I know if I were still shooting rimfire, and didn't have so many health issues, I sure would have tried.

It's saddens me to think that of those who did shoot, at least 3 out of the 15 (20% of the names which I still recognize, but there could have been more) came down from the Northeast and drove the 600+ miles (each way) to do so. Where were the Locals? Or the South Boys? I don't get it. Most regular matches at Piney Hill draw a bigger crowd than 15.

Yup, I guess maybe the Sporter Class just isn't strong enough to carry a stand alone event, big or small, no matter what's being offered. I mean, if for no other reason than for taking a crack at all those HOF points should have made it a no-brainer.

Sorry for the rant.

Dave Shattuck

with a 6X scope limitation suffers the same fate as IBS hunter rifle shooting....lack of widespread interest due to the scope X limitation. Its not the only reason but it sure is at or near the top.

with a 6X scope limitation suffers the same fate as IBS hunter rifle shooting....lack of widespread interest due to the scope X limitation. Its not the only reason but it sure is at or near the top.

If scope power was a major reason for lack of interest then Sporter Class in other organizations should be booming and we know it is not. I have no answer as to why the attendance was down as IR50/50 Sporter has been having above average attendance.
Sporter Class IR50/50 is one of the toughest rimfire matches. It is physically demanding and requires a lot of mental focus to do well. There has only been one 750 shot in the Sporter Class matches.
With all those factors, it is still growing and has a bright future. I, for one enjoy the challenge.
I do not get a chance to shoot very often as I am usually busy running matches. I was able to shoot on Sat. and I really enjoyed being at Piney Hill. It was nice to see the guys from the Northeast and everyone else who made it out. I noticed the big improvements that have been made at Piney. They made for a pleasant experience.
Thanks Bruce, You did a great job and I have heard nothing but praise from those who attended.
Wayne

What I don't understand was why was it drawn out to 2 days when this years outdoor nationals was done in one, and the next outdoor nationals is even going to do the 3 gun in one day If I read it correctly.It probably would have done better if it were done on Saturday, it would have done better if it were held at the rocky river barn as well IMO. I wanted to go but just couldn't arrange it.
MC

What I don't understand was why was it drawn out to 2 days when this years outdoor nationals was done in one, and the next outdoor nationals is even going to do the 3 gun in one day If I read it correctly.It probably would have done better if it were done on Saturday, it would have done better if it were held at the rocky river barn as well IMO. I wanted to go but just couldn't arrange it.
MC

Mike,
Bruce thought there could possibly be 3 relays. There were only two. As you know Kettlefoot has 60 benches so it would be very unlikely to have more than one or two relays. We will be shooting Sporter and 3-Gun Yards on Sat. at 9:00AM and Sporter and 3-Gun Meters on Sun. at 8:00AM. The earlier start will get the shooters out earlier and the two day match should help with lodging expenses.
I have encouraged Rocky River to hold IR50/50 matches. The indoor NC State match last year was very well attended. If shooters want to shoot IR50/50 at the Barn you just need to let them know. I will more than do my part.
You were missed. I hope to see you and others at the 3-Gun Indoor in a few weeks.
Wayne

MC

Keeping everyone happy is always a balancing act. I heard more than a few grumbles about shooting 6 Sporter targets in one day at the Outdoor Nationals.

I think were we're heading is to combine the Sporter and 3-Gun Nationals on one weekend next year. Sporter and 3-Gun Yards on Saturday and Sporter and 3-Gun Meters on Sunday. That way there's only 4 Sporter targets in a day and all of the travel costs are combined into one weekend. Something to talk about at the meeting at the Outdoor Nationals in September.

Back