In your opinion whats killing the group game

Always remember a Born Loser comic panel where his son asks, "If it doesn't matter if you win or lose, why do they keep score."

There's more than one recent generation who have lost the capacity to keep score.

That way "Everyone is a winner."

Or a wiener depending on your point of view.
I vote wiener.

I agree with Rick. Every hobby costs a lot of money, if you really want to get into it. If you just want to dabble, competitive benchrest isn't for you.

Jim

Attitude!

It takes a certain individual to want to compete in a sport where you will lose much more then you win! And sometimes you will lose big. (Tony Boyer excluded and recently Wayne Campbell) and even they, can tell you about the many times they have lost. Driving 6 or more hours home after having just been beat, gives a person a lot of time to think, do i want to keep doing this, spending the time, money and effort it takes to compete at this level only to lose this badly? If that person has a mentor, who can explain to him the ups and downs of this sport, his chances of returning are greater, if he doesnt, he is probably gone for good. The ones that return have a certain desire and drive to want to excel, and not everyone has that!

Jack Neary says it best.......you cant coach desire

AS

If you're interested in Benchrest Competition

This Sport has something to offer even the most casual competitor. Same as any other recreational Sport. Golf,Bowling, tennis, etc. Its not about whether you win or lose but how you play the game. Thats important.

I personally know people who have been dabbling in this game as long or longer than I have.

People who have the money and the time to travel to the matches. People who have never won much of anything to speak of. They pay the registration fees and keep coming back for more. Why? Because these competitors have found satisfaction in their participation that some others may not have.

I agree,If losing at this sport causes you to sell out and take up another hobby, then maybe you shouldn’t, be here in the first place.

I would venture to say, that in this game, the casual competitors outnumber the ego sensitive group. “The Have to win mentality” to justify their participation group.

What I find most attractive about this Sport are the people I’ve met since coming here. If the only thing I lose at in Life is a Benchrest match. I figure I’m way ahead of the game. Just my thoughts.

Glenn

This Sport has something to offer even the most casual competitor. Same as any other recreational Sport. Golf,Bowling, tennis, etc. Its not about whether you win or lose but how you play the game. Thats important.

I personally know people who have been dabbling in this game as long or longer than I have.

People who have the money and the time to travel to the matches. People who have never won much of anything to speak of. They pay the registration fees and keep coming back for more. Why? Because these competitors have found satisfaction in their participation that some others may not have.

I agree,If losing at this sport causes you to sell out and take up another hobby, then maybe you shouldn’t, be here in the first place.

I would venture to say, that in this game, the casual competitors outnumber the ego sensitive group. “The Have to win mentality” to justify their participation group.

What I find most attractive about this Sport are the people I’ve met since coming here. If the only thing I lose at in Life is a Benchrest match. I figure I’m way ahead of the game. Just my thoughts.

Glenn
That last paragraph nails it .

Amen to that Andy.
Joe Hynes

A bit more,,,if I may. I do not go to a match to try and win money. This shooting game has been ( perhaps) the best thing that I have ever gone into, but for different reasons than most. Where else can one go and meet people from around the globe...literally ? I cannot say enough about this part of it. Sure...we all go to the bench and give it our best. That said, occasional shooters, ( like me) understand what we are up against, which in turn...makes us try harder. The most expensive equipment available won't do you any good if you don't know the basics. I enjoy the people I have come to know, and competing against them, ( first)..which for me...takes precedence over winning.

It takes a certain individual to want to compete in a sport where you will lose much more then you win! And sometimes you will lose big. (Tony Boyer excluded and recently Wayne Campbell) and even they, can tell you about the many times they have lost. Driving 6 or more hours home after having just been beat, gives a person a lot of time to think, do i want to keep doing this, spending the time, money and effort it takes to compete at this level only to lose this badly? If that person has a mentor, who can explain to him the ups and downs of this sport, his chances of returning are greater, if he doesnt, he is probably gone for good. The ones that return have a certain desire and drive to want to excel, and not everyone has that!

Jack Neary says it best.......you cant coach desire

AS

Thanks for the explanation Andy. I always figured I was just too dumb to quit. The bad thing about this sport is you have to put out a lot of effort, to get back a little success. When things are going bad you most generally have only yourself to blame. Some guys have a hard time with that. When things are going well it's much easier.... for a while.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
In my opinion its money.

I haven't shot in 12 yrs since my mentor passed and getting back into the game, I'm shocked at the increase in prices.

It is painfully expensive to get started in and frustrating if you 'buy down' and hit equipment limits.

I would say it is expensive for a young married guy to justify, but so is a bass boat, drag racing, owning a few horses, or any other hobby. I sent an engine and heads out for a build several years ago. It came back ready to go with a 12K bill. Good thing I built a cheap one. The biggest downside to shooting is that it is not a family hobby, not the cost, IMO.

Later
Dave

I think this is more of a obsession than a sport. I believe most players are not driven by winning, but driven by enjoying the unbelievable challenge of putting together a rifle that boggles the imagination. We are a strange breed, we need to stick together, support each other, help the clubs that are hosting the matches . Helping the clubs with the physical effort, not just showing up, but actually going out moving target frames, ect, . All you have to do is ask, " how can I help" and you will see you are needed.
I'm working on a moving backer system that can be built expensively, designed for the small clubs shooting group, it will be tested within the next few months. Hopefully, if moving backers are the issue in holding matches this might help.
We love you guys,
Charlie and Cheryl Hood

I think this is more of a obsession than a sport. I believe most players are not driven by winning, but driven by enjoying the unbelievable challenge of putting together a rifle that boggles the imagination. We are a strange breed, we need to stick together, support each other, help the clubs that are hosting the matches . Helping the clubs with the physical effort, not just showing up, but actually going out moving target frames, ect, . All you have to do is ask, " how can I help" and you will see you are needed.
I'm working on a moving backer system that can be built expensively, designed for the small clubs shooting group, it will be tested within the next few months. Hopefully, if moving backers are the issue in holding matches this might help.
We love you guys,
Charlie and Cheryl Hood

Thanks Charlie and Cheryl. Over many years you two have over abundantly done your part in adding to the enjoyment of these RON (Remain Over Night) shoots. And thanks for giving us something else to think about besides "just winning".

We ARE a selfish lot. We move in on a membership supported range to take up a 4-6day period of time out of the paying club members range time. Then we EXPECT volunteers to fetch our targets.

Expectations???

Thanks Charlie and Cheryl. Over many years you two have over abundantly done your part in adding to the enjoyment of these RON (Remain Over Night) shoots. And thanks for giving us something else to think about besides "just winning".

We ARE a selfish lot. We move in on a membership supported range to take up a 4-6day period of time out of the paying club members range time. Then we EXPECT volunteers to fetch our targets.

Not to mention picking up cleaning patches & primers.

A thousand years ago, I took it upon myself to find out exactly why folks quit shooting Benchrest. I leaned on Pat Ferrell to supply me the mailing addresses and she reluctantly compiled the addresses of those that had previously joined the NBRSA and then quit. Thanks Pat!

That done, I wrote a well worded letter ( I could do that back then :) ) to about 300 folks basically asking why they did not renew their membership. I also placed a stamped envelope along with the letter so it wouldn't cost anything but a few minutes time answering my question. I don't remember how many wrote back but it was clearly enough to realize that the "problem" could not be fixed. There was little relation from one to the other in the entire deal - waste of time. I've tried to justify the money I spent doing that but in the end I can't - waste of time.

The NBRSA has had contests with somewhat significant prizes for whoever recruited the most members. That didn't work well either.

The only reason that folks enjoy competing within the Benchrest arena is that they like to do it for whatever reason. When they run out of money they quit. That last statement about money is related to the competitor that likes to shoot Benchrest.

I'll tell this story again. It may be a little different from the last time I told it but it ends the same. We were at Lakeland Florida and I noticed a fellow looking hard at a lot of "stuff". I asked him if he had an interest and he said that he would dearly love to compete but didn't have the money. We talked about it for a while and it ended right there. I couldn't help but notice him leaving in a new pickup with a four wheeler in the back. Not only that but he was pulling a nice trailer that had two more 4 wheelers on it....all newer stuff. He made a choice and it was not Benchrest shooting.

"I'm working on a moving backer system that can be built expensively...."

Charlie, did you mean to write "inexpensively"?

Last edited:
Wilbur

"he had a choice but it was not Benchrest shooting." Says it all. End of story.

Later
Dave

A thousand years ago, I took it upon myself to find out exactly why folks quit shooting Benchrest. I leaned on Pat Ferrell to supply me the mailing addresses and she reluctantly compiled the addresses of those that had previously joined the NBRSA and then quit. Thanks Pat!

That done, I wrote a well worded letter ( I could do that back then :) ) to about 300 folks basically asking why they did not renew their membership. I also placed a stamped envelope along with the letter so it wouldn't cost anything but a few minutes time answering my question. I don't remember how many wrote back but it was clearly enough to realize that the "problem" could not be fixed. There was little relation from one to the other in the entire deal - waste of time. I've tried to justify the money I spent doing that but in the end I can't - waste of time.

The NBRSA has had contests with somewhat significant prizes for whoever recruited the most members. That didn't work well either.

The only reason that folks enjoy competing within the Benchrest arena is that they like to do it for whatever reason. When they run out of money they quit. That last statement about money is related to the competitor that likes to shoot Benchrest.

I'll tell this story again. It may be a little different from the last time I told it but it ends the same. We were at Lakeland Florida and I noticed a fellow looking hard at a lot of "stuff". I asked him if he had an interest and he said that he would dearly love to compete but didn't have the money. We talked about it for a while and it ended right there. I couldn't help but notice him leaving in a new pickup with a four wheeler in the back. Not only that but he was pulling a nice trailer that had two more 4 wheelers on it....all newer stuff. He made a choice and it was not Benchrest shooting.

Wilber, The money is one thing, but the work and time is the killer. I know for a fact there is not a day goes by I'm not working on something or trying to improve on something. Always working on cases bullets or the guns. If not doing that I'm cutting grass or fixing things that broke around the house. I sit down to watch a little tv. and fall asleep..... jim

Last edited:
I applaud you sir!

Lots of good points above. I would argue in our area, group shooting was in danger of dying a few years ago, but we have since doubled or tripled participation in our area and have a very strong contingent of shooters in Western Canada. Our home club around here is the Rosebud Silhouette & Benchrest Club. Some folks will know that we are hosting the World Championship in July of 2019.

To put it in perspective we were down to about 6 active group shooters, and now will have about 20 - 25 active shooters close by, this is in a region with only about 2 million people within a 3 hour drive in any direction. The club recently expanded the firing line to 25 benches, doubled our clubhouse size, contoured the ranges, increased parking areas, seeded grass among other improvements.

How did we get to this point? We recognized that we had the best kept secret in the shooting sports, and almost nobody understood it well enough to take the plunge, and the fear of the unknown was keeping people from jumping in. It is a daunting task to get in to this game. Mentorship is very important.

1. Schools, we run a BR101 clinic almost every year, where students are paired up with coaches and shoot over the coaches flags, using the coaches rifles. This has resulted in 1-2 new participants every year. In our region and size, this is a win. I don't let students shoot their own rifles, as it defeats the purpose of shooting over the flags with a field rifle.
2. we run an occasional BR201 clinic for experienced BR shooters and have had Jack Neary and Wayne Campbell to our range to help the shooters get the best possible information.
3. I gave up on recruiting volunteers long ago. We pay our helpers to run targets and score, and make it worth their while. Match fees are a bit higher, but so be it. Attendance has soared. We don't have volunteer fatigue anymore.
4. Make sure the host club benefits from closing the range for the weekend. Can't emphasize this enough.

Some additional observations:
1. I don't think cost is the issue people think it is, I see PRS and F class shooters paying much higher match fees, using more expensive kits, traveling just as far, and their numbers are growing. Cost is a red herring or convenient excuse. If people want to compete they will make BR a priority in their lives and find the time and money. It has always been this way. It costs money to compete in anything at the highest level. Saving $10 on an entry fee will never draw people from out of town. Make sure the match is well run and shooters are looked after. First impressions are very important for out of towners.
2. While some see the equipment required to get on the playing field as a problem, we see it as a draw. That is, who wouldn't want to get involved with arguably the sexiest, coolest equipment out there? Never forget this is the top fuel, or F1 of the shooting world. Anyone who says BR is stagnant isn't paying close enough attention. We have 10 rail guns at our tiny club. We let everyone shoot them, some get hooked. The equipment has always been a draw, embrace it.
3. I have not been a fan of the idea of classing or handicapping. Part of the excitement for me back at my first big shoot in Phoenix in 1997 was paying my entry fee and shooting against the best in the world. No other sport affords the luxury of this unencumbered entry to compete with the best. Try that in tennis, or motorsports, or golf etc. We have it good in BR.
4. We don't expect that BR will appeal to everyone, maybe not even 1 in a 100 casual shooters will take it up, or maybe not even 1 in a 1000 shooters will take it up. Our job is to make sure that when the 1 in a 100 guy wants to get in involved, he can easily find us and get the support he needs to succeed.

Note that there will be 10 guys from around here piling into various vehicles and pulling trailers for a 33 hr drive headed to Holton in September for the NBRSA Nats. Look us up! yes we are that crazy about this sport!

Lastly, anyone that wants to talk to me about the program and success we have had in growing the sport out here, should contact me rickpollock@shaw.ca

Rick

Good job. That's how to attract and retain new shooters.

Back