If you could only buy one firearm for a solid investment........

VaniB

So, tell me. If you could buy one new rifle, shotgun, or pistol tomorrow as a collectible and wanted to feel like you would be able to turn around and sell it through one of the auction sights for a nice profit in the coming couple of years, what would it be? (say....2 to 5 years) For example a Remington VSSFII 17 Fireball which could be found for $900 last year is now a discontinued item with an inventory that has finally dried up. It would sell now just 9 months or so later for $100 -$150 more. I wouldn't doubt that in 3 more years or so an unfired VSSFII Fireball will sell for $1,300 Now, that's a good return! Another example is a special edition undefolder milled AK (made by Arsenal of Nevada) that I saw selling at a gunshop locally for $1,100 in 2005. It will now fetch $2,000 on the auction websights. But I admit that this kind of return requires some unusual insight and is generally the exception.

Vani -

Howdy !

IMHO - Just about ANY Marlin lever gun made in the original Connecticut factory ( pre- "Remlin" ).

Especially... the cowboy-action chamberings. I've read that these have already been snapped-up, but have seen a stainless .357Mag @ a local gunstore.

I glommed-onto one of the CT beauties... a M-336 XLR in .35Rem; and it is a phenominal rifle !! Shooting & relaoding for it, I have thus far been able to produce 5-shot 100yd groups as-small-as 5/8".
And.... it appears the gun can shoot smaller.... when & IF I am able to ! Mine's not a "collector", it's a shoot-er.

In that regard, I think the CT-made Marlin lever guns w/ popular hunting chamberings would likewise be good investments.
Perhaps the XLRs, will prove to be the most collectable of the lot ??!

In handguns, I believe the S & W "N"-frames of the '60s - 70's will just be gettin harder & harder to find/afford. Things like the M-27s and M-28s with the old-style "pinned " barrels and recesses in their chambers for the .357Mag case rims will ultimately prove their collectable worth. These will be the new-wave collectables, after the things like the " 4-screw " guns, and others like the " triple-lock "

In shotguns, something like a Rem 870 in 16ga. Try going and finding a good one @ a good price !

IMHO

WIth regards,
357Mag

LC Smith A2, A3, Monogram, crown, Premier, Deluxe, or Eagle grade Shot guns. Parkers will do the same at auctions. Look up a Parker A1 special in 410 ga. Try Julias auction.

Most any of the old single shot's by Pope, Schoyen, Zishange, and so on.

I think if you could get a "Quad 50" today at a good price, you could pretty much name your price later.

Paul

The only value I place on something is how much benefit and enjoyment will I get out of it.

It's like buying a unfired rare firearm for $100,000, with the stipulation that if it is ever fired, it will be worth only $1000. Expensive Paperweight.

Last edited:
Conversely

If I were going to buy a firearm with no chance of it ever being worth what I paid for it..well...that would be easy. I'd build a centerfire benchrest rifle of the current "rage". Those things lose a thou while the bedding is curing.

I think you guys are missing the point. The question was what one new gun would you buy.

Didn't miss the point, don't have an answer and posted anyway. But.... I suppose that's the point you were making about us missing the point.

I think if you could get a "Quad 50" today at a good price, you could pretty much name your price later.

Paul

Paul, anything automatic is just dastardly expensive after the govt shut off new production going into the civilian market. Price is relative but these things are just outa sight. Saw a pair of electrically fired aircraft 50's(1000+ RPM) firing at night with tracers years ago. THAT was impressive!

So, tell me. If you could buy one new rifle, shotgun, or pistol tomorrow as a collectible and wanted to feel like you would be able to turn around and sell it through one of the auction sights for a nice profit in the coming couple of years, what would it be? (say....2 to 5 years) For example a Remington VSSFII 17 Fireball which could be found for $900 last year is now a discontinued item with an inventory that has finally dried up. It would sell now just 9 months or so later for $100 -$150 more. I wouldn't doubt that in 3 more years or so an unfired VSSFII Fireball will sell for $1,300 Now, that's a good return! Another example is a special edition undefolder milled AK (made by Arsenal of Nevada) that I saw selling at a gunshop locally for $1,100 in 2005. It will now fetch $2,000 on the auction websights. But I admit that this kind of return requires some unusual insight and is generally the exception.

OK, if by new you mean never sold into the marketplace: shotgun would be a 16 gauge Purdey 2.5" chambers on a 20 gauge frame, hand detachable sidelock, splinter forearm, ejectors, skeletonized and checkered butt plate all weighing under 6 lbs.

Rifle: off the rack so to speak, some kind of Cooper.

If by new you mean new to me but been around some time: Shotgun: Purdey 28 gauge Rifle: Prewar mannlicher schoenauer full stock in 6.5mmx57.

How about a Kimber Super America 22 rf? Kimber quit making rimfire rifles a few years ago.
Jerry

I think you guys are missing the point. The question was what one new gun would you buy.

Yes, "New" and fairly easy to find for easy instant purchase is what I meant. The problem with rare used firearms is that they are being sold already at a premium and you have to go treasure hunting for them. You also really better know what the heck you are looking at or you can lose money or get ourtght ripped off!

It seems the general consensus amongst most folks on another websight is that I should be seeking class 3 weapons. (but I'm not interested) Just for conversation purposes, I can tell you that a fully auto Colt AR15 rifle that I could have bought in nice condition for $5,500 in 1995 was going for $13,000 a couple of years ago the last time I checked. (Don't know if a mint one would be $20,000 now!!) Of course, class 3 weapons are difficult to legally obtain, and I care NOT to register with the Feds and have to open and maintain a private corporation yearly. ( Without a corporation, the only other way is to find an official in your city who will sign an approval for you to buy a "machine gun"... yea right!)

A current example of the kind of oppportunity I'm talking about is the current LEO stamped Colt AR15 semi-auto rifles that you and I can buy, and are being phased out as we speak. You can buy them now for $1,050 before they are gone from inventory and replaced by the "sporter" models. I'm sure that in 2 years somebody will pay you $150-$200 more for that LEO inscription. (if it's kept new and unfired) If Romney or Obama seriously talk about a ban, that rifle will then sell for $2,000 But, without planning on a ban which would bring you a 40% overnight return, the LEO inscription on the rifle will get you a 10% return. (That's still 5 times better then the current rate of a CD!) However $150 ain't going to make me or you rich either. If you plan to be engaging in any kind of quantity purchases then you're "in the business of selling guns" without a license.

The only other weapon I am aware of in a very niche market are the 50 caliber $8,000 Barrett rifles legal to anybody who's eligable to buy a Remington BDL (and who doesn't live in CA or NY). But, I'm not sure what the rate of return is on those beasts. If you could make a $grand on one of those rifles after a 3 year wait, that would be a good return. (10%+)

Last edited:
Ok, for Benchrest, what would bring money... ????

I know a guy that bought a lathe, said he needs this thing to "make money"...

He should have bought a printing press.

Paul

Yes, "New" and fairly easy to find for easy instant purchase is what I meant. The problem with rare used firearms is that are being sold already at a premium and you have to go treasure hunting for them. You also really better know what the heck you are looking at or you can lose money or get ouright ripped off!

It seems the general consensus amongst most folks on another websight is that I should be seeking class 3 weapons. (but I'm not interested) Just for conversation purposes, I can tell you that a fully auto Colt AR15 rifle that I could have bought in nice condition for $5,500 in 1995 was going for $13,000 a couple of years ago the last time I checked. (Don't know if a mint one would be $20,000 now!!) Of course, class 3 weapons are difficult to legally obtain, and I care NOT to register with the Feds and have to open and maintain a private corporation yearly. ( Without a corporation, the only other way is to find an official in your city who will sign an approval for you to buy a "machine gun"... yea right!)

A current example of the kind of oppportunity I'm talking about is the current LEO stamped Colt AR15 semi-auto rifles that you and I can buy, and are being phased out as we speak. You can buy them now for $1,050 before they are gone from inventory and replaced by the "sporter" models. I'm sure that in 2 years somebody will pay you $150-$200 more for that LEO inscription. (if it's kept new and unfired) If Romney or Obama seriously talk about a ban, that rifle will then sell for $2,000 But, without planning on a ban which would bring you a 40% overnight return, the LEO inscription on the rifle will get you a 10% return. (That's still 5 times better then the current rate of a CD!) However $150 ain't going to make me or you rich either. If you plan to be engaging in any kind of quantity purchases then you're "in the business of selling guns" without a license.

The only other weapon I am aware of in a very niche market are the 50 caliber $8,000 Barrett rifles legal to anybody who's eligable to buy a Remington BDL (and who doesn't live in CA or NY). But, I'm not sure what the rate of return is on those beasts. If you could make a $grand on one of those rifles after a 3 year wait, that would be a good return. (10%+)

Seems like you answered your own question better than anyone else...

The only value I place on something is how much benefit and enjoyment will I get out of it.

Amen! Other than stocks and bonds, the best way I've found to lose money is to buy firearms expecting to make a profit someday. But the profit potential line has worked like a charm on my wife for many years.

Ok, for Benchrest, what would bring money... ????

I know a guy that bought a lathe, said he needs this thing to "make money"...

He should have bought a printing press.

Paul

Hind sight being 20/20, I would have bought EVERY really good Unertl or Lyman STS, especially the higher power ones, 10-15 years ago that I could have laid my hands on. $200 back then, $800 + now. Pretty good for a scope desgin that was abandoned by benchresters. I think some of the runup is due to a resurgence in use of old barrel block equipped rifles designed for the long focus scope. Then if you've ever looked trhough one or examined the quality you can understand why the current $. Not sure if it will continue to appreciate or even hold. --Greg

Last edited:
Seems like you answered your own question better than anyone else...

No not really. That's why I'm trying to pick some brains out there and hopefully be informed about some firearm that I'm not aware of. I'm trying to learn of a limited production item that will spike a great amount in a short duration. I'm inclined to think that military based rifles have the best prospects. The problem is that a guy can't buy and stash away 105 Colt "LEO" stamped rifles to accumulate 105 small profits. Not that there's anything wrong with selling 105 Colts each at $125 profit.....as much as it would require $100,000 for you to hire an attorney to get you out of prisonn (for operating as a dealer without an FFL.)

Surely, most of you must be aware that a 10% appreciation on a few guns worth a total of say $100,000 right now is a lot better investment then a $100,000 cash investment in the stock market with a 20% loss. :D Perhaps the market will eventually turn around, but right now a lot of folks have lost money for 3 years straight, and CD's ae at 1 .5%. If you ask me, a 7%-10% yearly return on your guns looks good. But, again....you need a license and a store front if your planning on buying quantity..

Last edited:
Back