Ideal Rail Gun Weight

Andy Cross

Quick question. Considering a rail gun. Of all the various types I have seen on the line one of the most common complaints I have heard from shooters is - I should have made it heavier. Or this thing isn't heavier enough. Or I fixed the problem I just added 20lb of plate steel to the under side. So what is an ideal weight for a rail chambered in 6PPC. And do any of the current manufacturers like magnum or young make them this weight ?

Thanks Andy.

Ideal weight for a rail gun?

Quick question. Considering a rail gun. Of all the various types I have seen on the line one of the most common complaints I have heard from shooters is - I should have made it heavier. Or this thing isn't heavier enough. Or I fixed the problem I just added 20lb of plate steel to the under side. So what is an ideal weight for a rail chambered in 6PPC. And do any of the current manufacturers like magnum or young make them this weight ?

Thanks Andy.

Exactly ten pounds! :p

Sorry Andy, just couldn't resist. :eek:

My rail gun seemed to get heavier every year so I sold it. Now I enjoy shooting only a 10.5 pound Sporter chambered in 220 Beggs, aka, Lapua 220 Russian). Yep, the 22 bore is now legal in all three bag gun categories.

Good shootin' this year.

Gene Beggs

Made me laugh

Exactly ten pounds! :p

Sorry Andy, just couldn't resist. :eek:

My rail gun seemed to get heavier every year so I sold it. Now I enjoy shooting only a 10.5 pound Sporter chambered in 220 Beggs, aka, Lapua 220 Russian). Yep, the 22 bore is now legal in all three bag gun categories.

Good shootin' this year.

Gene Beggs

I read the first line and started laughing. One of the things I have re-acquainted myself with having got back into BR after many years is that it seems pointless to go up against rails with a bag gun when the mirage comes out to play. So I am considering a rail.

Aussie sporter is still in the dark ages with the minimum calibre being 6mm and a 9 pound restriction. And they wonder why not many people shoot sporter here.

Seriously though what do you think a rail should weigh ?

Andy.

Mine weighs 84 pounds and the top and base each weigh 42 pounds. And it shoots extremely well. I have a wheeled table/cart and clean right in back of the line, throw a towel over it, and go back to the loading trailer to re-load. If the weather is lousy, I wheel it back to the trailer to clean.

Last edited:
I think Ideal would be around 15 lbs for the top and 10 for the base. Now if you can make that combination not move and be perfectly solid on any kind of bench without a jackhammer and or Four 10 lb sacks of lead shot you have a nice rail.

Who made it

Mine weighs 84 pounds and the top and base each weigh 42 pounds. And it shoots extremely well. I have a wheeled table/cart and clean right in back of the line, throw a towel over it, and go back to the loading trailer to re-load. If the weather is lousy, I wheel it back to the trailer to clean.

My calculations come up with 80 to 90 pounds as a minimum. However none of the off the shelf rail guns like those made by magnum metal or young tip the scales at those weights. So can you tell me who designed and built your rail ? Can you post any images of it ?
Regards,
Andy.

If Rail Gun Weight is important

Why not buy a 25lb bag of steel shot and lay it on the bottom part of one of the popular rails. problem solved.

I saw pictures of a Custom built Rail Gun that required Two men to put it on the Bench. It didn't shoot any better than one of the, so called, light weight rails.

I have one of the popular models. It's plenty heavy enough to give an aging competitor a hernia. I have no plans to add any thing to the platform,except maybe an extra handle,in case I need help lifting it on and off the bench.:(

Glenn

Aussie sporter is still in the dark ages with the minimum calibre being 6mm and a 9 pound restriction. And they wonder why not many people shoot sporter here.

Andy. There is no caliber limit on the SSAA BR Sporter class. Just the 9lb weight limit. Used to be worse - we were limited to 12 power scopes until the mid 2000s.

More mis information

Andy. There is no caliber limit on the SSAA BR Sporter class. Just the 9lb weight limit. Used to be worse - we were limited to 12 power scopes until the mid 2000s.

Hi Fergus,
Seems there are quite a few misinformed BR shooters here. I remember the 12x scope limit. One of the main reasons I never bothered with it because even when I was young I couldn't see the bullet holes in the target at 100 yds. Now all that has to happen is to get rid of the 9lb weight limit. Can't see it is of any use. Come to think of it the class is redundant.

One the subject of the original post. Do you own a rail ? Type and weight ?

Andy.

A good rail gun is heavy enough to sit still while you shoot it fast. If you ain't in the market for shooting fast and not looking then shoot a bag rifle. Bag rifles shoot as well as rails...but not as quickly and quick pays big now and then. What I'm saying here is if you need to look every shot don't buy a rail gun. If you can shoot a few shots without looking then a rail is a good item to have. If it moves....you lose...and that's OK as long as you figure out why it moved and fix it for the future.

Additionally, if you can't drive the feet into the bench top then don't have a rail gun - it's a total waste of money. I haven't shot a rail in years and don't know how the "rubber feet" work but again, if you have to look every shot, just shoot a bag gun.

Mirage is the real issue

A good rail gun is heavy enough to sit still while you shoot it fast. If you ain't in the market for shooting fast and not looking then shoot a bag rifle. Bag rifles shoot as well as rails...but not as quickly and quick pays big now and then. What I'm saying here is if you need to look every shot don't buy a rail gun. If you can shoot a few shots without looking then a rail is a good item to have. If it moves....you lose...and that's OK as long as you figure out why it moved and fix it for the future.

Additionally, if you can't drive the feet into the bench top then don't have a rail gun - it's a total waste of money. I haven't shot a rail in years and don't know how the "rubber feet" work but again, if you have to look every shot, just shoot a bag gun.

Why I am considering a rail is that when the mirage comes out to play and you can't even see the mothball let alone the bullet holes it is pointless going up against a rail with a bag gun. If the rail truly holds its aim point and you don't have to re-aim the bag gun is up against it from the get go. Here in Brisbane and elsewhere in Oz our hot weather is long and most times mirage is about. If they are shooting exp don't bother burning out a good barrel shooting 10 shot groups against them.

Today's BINGO goes to Andy Cross. When you have a stable base and perfect return to battery, and the mirage is boiling, life is good for the rail. In switchy wind conditions, i give the nod to the better bag shooter. The most important piece of equipment for the machine gunner is a good set of brakes and the ability to use them when the wind calls for it.

The Many Uses Of A Rail Gun

“A Rail gun helps you learn to read the wind”. This is what I was told a long time ago, by a knowledgeable shooter. He also included that you could check for scope problems with a rail gun. His explanations were based on personal experience shooting rail guns.

I bought a rail gun,because shooting my bag gun in a 10 shot unlimited match seemed pointless . Kinda like n a boxing match. Where you have A light weight fighter matched up against a Heavy weight fighter. The outcome is predictable, most of the time.

Rail guns can be used as a test platform for ammunition and reloading components.

Rail Guns are designed and built to shoot in the Unlimited Class. There are No design restrictions. These creations are limited only to the imagination of the builder. A serious benchrest shooter should think about exploring the possibilty of owning one of these unique Icons of the Sport of Benchrest Competition.

Glenn

Last edited:
The sliding top with everything in place should not be less than 23 lbs for a 6PPC. The base should be as much as you can comfortably handle.

The sliding top with everything in place should not be less than 23 lbs for a 6PPC. The base should be as much as you can comfortably handle.

That's a pretty good explanation of how much a rail gun should weigh.

Where do you get it

That's a pretty good explanation of how much a rail gun should weigh.

One of the issues I will run into is if none of the currect manufacturers make rail guns to these specs then where do you get one made. I am an optical engineer and photographer not a mechanical engineer or tool maker. If you can't buy them made to spec then it's unlikely that I will find someone willing to do this type of work in Oz.
Any thoughts ?
Andy.

50 bmg 100# +

Here is a 50 BMG I built a few years ago, IF I did another I would use a plate instead of an I-beam....J

One of the issues I will run into is if none of the currect manufacturers make rail guns to these specs then where do you get one made. I am an optical engineer and photographer not a mechanical engineer or tool maker. If you can't buy them made to spec then it's unlikely that I will find someone willing to do this type of work in Oz.
Any thoughts ?
Andy.

Attachments

• DSCN2128.jpg
    DSCN2128.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCN2132.jpg
    DSCN2132.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
50 bmg woooo hoooo!!

Here is a 50 BMG I built a few years ago, IF I did another I would use a plate instead of an I-beam....J

Go ahead Jay with the Big 50 BMG!!! I got a 50lb rifle I built back in 95 and I've shot it out to 600 yards!!
Rambo

Call some folks and see what they say...

Jay Young, Scott Hunter, etc...

Look under "Rail Guns" in the ads here.

Back