How about Shooting Coaches?

It's good Sportsmanship, to tell a fellow competitor if he missed a bull before the time is up. I see nothing wrong with that.

Blood Sport

Considering all the money all of us make at this here Benchrest games we play, why does it have to be Blood Sport? Some disciplines are way beyond what's reasonable. For instance, closing the range off to shooters during matches. The Rimfire Benchrest disciplines do not do it. When a card is completed, one can go down range to adjust flags or pick up something they have dropped whatever. It makes no sense to penalize competitors for simple things like flags falling over, etc.

Pete

I think I made a right turn at the bakery or something.

What type of coaching could be done during a competion? As far as telling someone they missed a target, I have done that several times
during a match to the shooter next to me. I guess I don't take any match that serious.

Dean

Hey Dean, I don't feel telling a fellow shooter they missed a bull is all that outrageous. I have had it done for me and have done it for others.

In the case of coaching during a match between the shooter and someone not shooting the relay, I thought it was forbidden by rule, could be wrong. I had it happen right next to me at an ARA match this summer and it was very disrupting. I finally said something and the activity ceased. As far as what the coaching entailed that I experienced was the shooters buddy set up with a spotting scope watching directly in back of him telling him why he missed by watching his flags and target. Both with hearing protection on, talking loudly and the shooter constantly spinning around on his stool to converse with his 'coach' while we were on the clock! They were new guys and didn't understand why it was an issue.

Simply telling a shooter he didn't shoot a bull is very different in my eyes. Disrupting the line and trying to give an obvious competitive edge to a shooter such as what I witnessed this summer is, if not written in the rules as illegal, should be.

Scott

Last edited:
i think i made a right turn at the bakery or something.

What type of coaching could be done during a competion? As far as telling someone they missed a target, i have done that several times
during a match to the shooter next to me. I guess i don't take any match that serious.

Dean
youi would be surprized .

Hey Dean, I don't feel telling a fellow shooter they missed a bull is all that outrageous. I have had it done for me and have done it for others.

In the case of coaching during a match between the shooter and someone not shooting the relay, I thought it was forbidden by rule, could be wrong. I had it happen right next to me at an ARA match this summer and it was very disrupting. I finally said something and the activity ceased. As far as what the coaching entailed that I experienced was the shooters buddy set up with a spotting scope watching directly in back of him telling him why he missed by watching his flags and target. Both with hearing protection on, talking loudly and the shooter constantly spinning around on his stool to converse with his 'coach' while we were on the clock! They were new guys and didn't understand why it was an issue.

Simply telling a shooter he didn't shoot a bull is very different in my eyes. Disrupting the line and trying to give an obvious competitive edge to a shooter such as what I witnessed this summer is, if not written in the rules as illegal, should be.

Scott

I totally agree with you, that warning someone who miss a target is (should be) good ethics in our sport.
However, I was almost crucified, with attempt to disqualify me on that match, after telling a fellow shooter he missed one...
I believe we should win fairly and not by others raw mistaques...

considering all the money all of us make at this here benchrest games we play, why does it have to be blood sport? Some disciplines are way beyond what's reasonable. For instance, closing the range off to shooters during matches. The rimfire benchrest disciplines do not do it. When a card is completed, one can go down range to adjust flags or pick up something they have dropped whatever. It makes no sense to penalize competitors for simple things like flags falling over, etc.

Pete
rules are rules we need some

[QUOTEJUST COMION CURTICY=doclu60;840481]Hey Dean, I don't feel telling a fellow shooter they missed a bull is all that outrageous. I have had it done for me and have done it for others.

Scott[/QUOTE]

After reviewing the rules for both IR50/50 and ARA, I have only found one rule mentioned as to coaching during a match. It was in the ARA Junior rules stating a Junior could not be coached during the match. There are rules in both sanctioning bodies as to disturbing the line during the course of fire though.

Scott

one of the biggest problems in the benchrest sports is the reluctance of those on top to share everything. Egos do not permit it, unfortunately. There are far too many people with big hat sizes in all the benchrest disciplines, from my experience and it's reasonably extensive. I think it does keep people away. In one case, a close friend planned to build a rifle to compete in one of the disciplines i was running matches for. He saw some ugly things going on by some of these big hat sized people and sold all the components he had amassed. He wanted nothing to do with people like this. I shoot because i enjoy it and ignore those around me. There have been times i would have welcomed someone to watch me and critique what i was or wasn't doing. At this point in my life, i just hope to wake up every day :)

pete
i beeive coaching is great but at a match its one one but no shooter should behindline with spottingscope today there is more going than you realize;. Just watch c[losely.

Back