Hand Priming Tools - 2017

SmallBoreBuyer

Hello All,

I see that there are a few more entrants in this market and wondered if people have tried and compared them.

Is there a Lee tray type system that gives up little to nothing on the one-at-a-timers or is it a no pain no gain situation?

TIA

Hello All,

I see that there are a few more entrants in this market and wondered if people have tried and compared them.

Is there a Lee tray type system that gives up little to nothing on the one-at-a-timers or is it a no pain no gain situation?

TIA

I've been using a RCBS hand priming tool that uses the APS strips for 6 or 7 years now. I load the strips myself. That said I just bought a 21st Century one at a time hand tool and it is sweet. I like it because it is smooth and you don't have to turn anything to lock down the case and it is click adjustable for primer seating depth. I would love a hand priming tool built like the 21st Century that used the APS strips.

Last edited:
Tom Libby had one last year at the sniper king, that I really liked, its one at a time but its mounted to the bench and has a handle. Made by Bald Eagle, available at bullets.com. The one nice thing is the click adjustable seating depth, just turn the head one click for .002 change in seating depth. Still have my Sinclair but have been using it exclusively for 1 year.

I've used the RCBS hand priming tools that utilize standard shell holders and a tray. They work well IMO.

I tried an RCBS universal tray priming tool but didn't much care for it so I gave it to my son who needed a priming tool.

I use the K&M Hand Priming toll with the depth gauge. Can get the exact "Crush" recommended for the primer by the manufacturer. I am too new at this game to know if it really makes any difference, but it was recommended at the Williamsport 1000 Yard Bench Rest School, so I bought one. With all the Prep equipment I have, I can probably pass away all of my retirement hours without even having to shoot? I tried the Century 21 tool first. The older ones had twice the depth charge per click than the new ones, but then all the primer pockets have to be totally identical in depth. Oh, yah I do that too ..... :cool:

Bob

Regarding priming tools, for those who have used the K&M, how does the seat-by-feel feature compare with other such tools?

There has been a multitude of discussion about primer seating depth in terms of just bottoming out and the slight crush. I don't think it matters as long as you are sure the primer is seated all the way. The different priming tools are just that - different.

Regarding priming tools, for those who have used the K&M, how does the seat-by-feel feature compare with other such tools?

The K&M gives you a nice smooth feel while seating as well good feeling of primer set to the slight crush. I adjust mine for a tad of crush.

It requires the Lee # 12 auto prime shell holder that may have to be debured in the center of shell holder like mine did,, just slightly so the k&m primer guide can freely move up through three hole.
All in all I think it's the best bang for your buck. I dump out my primers on the Lee tray and shake it to get the primers right side up and pick them up off of that.

I have Lee, RCBS, K&M and Sinclair. The Sinclair is my go to for benchrest. I would like to try a Century with a tray. If you want to use a set depth tool (the K&M and Sinclair can be set) you had better make sure you have an adjustable primer pocket uniformer or your wasting your time. The last thing you want is a firing pin moving your primer before it goes off and with the lapua brass being all over the place, I only have one uniformer I can hit the bottom of all the pockets with.

Kevin

I have Lee, RCBS, K&M and Sinclair. The Sinclair is my go to for benchrest. I would like to try a Century with a tray. If you want to use a set depth tool (the K&M and Sinclair can be set) you had better make sure you have an adjustable primer pocket uniformer or your wasting your time. The last thing you want is a firing pin moving your primer before it goes off and with the lapua brass being all over the place, I only have one uniformer I can hit the bottom of all the pockets with.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Are you saying that a uniformer that is adjustable to reach the bottom of all of the primer pockets (as set by the deepest pocket) is required?

Century advocated the one at a timer over the tray version, in an email.

Thanks so much,

John

Tom Libby had one last year at the sniper king, that I really liked, its one at a time but its mounted to the bench and has a handle. Made by Bald Eagle, available at bullets.com. The one nice thing is the click adjustable seating depth, just turn the head one click for .002 change in seating depth. Still have my Sinclair but have been using it exclusively for 1 year.

Bullet.com has the primer tool that I have used since they came out with it on sale right now 3/16/2017. due to sports and now having some arthritis in my thumps this primer seater has been a life saver for me not having to squeeze the K&M or type primer seater that took a toll on my thumbs at the end of the match. I have had several shooters at matches talk to me about this and I know some have thanked me for showing/having it for them to see and test at my loading bench at matches. It is super easy to use.

Small Bore Buyer,
Most lots of brass for the PPC will be cleaned up with the preset primer pocket uniformers. However, yes, there are lots occasionally that the preset uniformers will not clean up the bottom of the primer pocket.

Hovis

Bullet.com has the primer tool that I have used since they came out with it on sale right now 3/16/2017. due to sports and now having some arthritis in my thumps this primer seater has been a life saver for me not having to squeeze the K&M or type primer seater that took a toll on my thumbs at the end of the match. I have had several shooters at matches talk to me about this and I know some have thanked me for showing/having it for them to see and test at my loading bench at matches. It is super easy to use.

I like that Tom...could see one in my near future. I've had seven wrist surgeries and arthritis the size of peas on most my knuckles so I have a question for you. Other case prep functions.....neck cleaning (inside and out), primer pocket cleaning and chamfering are other areas that are really fatiguing my hands. Any good advice on these tasks???

thanks
Hovis

Don't do any of those things for a while and you'll wonder why you ever did....just sayin'.

Don't do any of those things for a while and you'll wonder why you ever did....just sayin'.

I'm with you on cleaning inside of case necks Wilbur. I didn't clean inside of necks in 2010 and took Mary on vacation to France in 2011. Then again in 2016 I didn't clean inside of necks and am taking her to New Zealand on vacation this year. If I haven't shot the brass in a while and it is green/grungy looking, I'll run a brush in those once. If some one can explain how a build up of carbon can take place with all the heat coming through that little biddy hole I would be interested.......
And, just by luck without cleaning inside of necks, I saw a guy shoot 5 screamers at the100yd rail gun match at the NBRSA Nationals last year. I suppose if he would have cleaned the necks he would have done better. He shot pretty well at Ul200 also.

Also, one more thing, the necks of the brass on both of the examples above was only turned 1 (one) time.

All Friggin impossible, I know.

Expert opinions​?

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Joe

I'll do that.

Another good one. I saw this guy at Raton one time pour some Miller Lite in his powder measure at the end of the shooting day on Saturday. Shooting was not going well. The next day he finished at the top of one of the Grands and the points attained helped him make the World Team to shoot in France. WTF......Baggett was a witness I believe.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
I like that Tom...could see one in my near future. I've had seven wrist surgeries and arthritis the size of peas on most my knuckles so I have a question for you. Other case prep functions.....neck cleaning (inside and out), primer pocket cleaning and chamfering are other areas that are really fatiguing my hands. Any good advice on these tasks???

thanks
Hovis

Hovis,
I use a motor driven case holder that I use to turn necks, I have a Hornady lock-n-load case prep trio to chamfer the inside/outside of the necks or you can use a Wilson deburing tool while the case is in the power holder. I went to Lowes and picked up every small drill motor they had until I found one the was fairly light and well balanced (DeWalt 12v Lithium-ion DCF610S2) I got a K&M primer to put in the drill motor to clean the primer pockets. I could use the drill motor to chuck up a receiver for a case to help clean the outside of the necks after they were shot. Have the chuck but have not used it yet. After the cactus I may have to do that as my thumbs were killing me after the first day so I did not clean them the rest of the match.

Tom

Back