Change happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Bills have summed things up very well. I just hope WE never give up and stay vigilant.

But is it really change by any historically significant measure?

While I'm certainly not happy with the state of the nation nor many of the directions we're headed, I can't bring myself to be as pessimistic as some. The U.S.A. has a long tradition of picking idiots to be president.

Yes, we've had great presidents and we've had some who have risen to greatness during times of great challenge. Unfortunately, we've also had the actively corrupt, the unknowingly inept, and the completely incompetent holding the highest office in the land far more times than we'd like to admit.

The Union survived William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses Grant, Warren Harding, and Calvin Coolidge. (I'd add 3 more to that list but since they held office during the last 50 years, i.e. during most of our lifetimes, I'll refrain. I don't want to start any completely pointless political arguments.)

We not only survived the nimrods on that list but we subsequently prospered greatly and became the envy of the world.

To be sure, a lifetime of vigilance and decades of hard work by good people will be needed to repair the damage done to this country by recent bad leadership. Somehow, though, we always seem to patch up the ship of state well enough to weather the storms of history. I choose to believe we will continue to do so.

Thanks for the positive note, but in times past most of us were self sufficient, that no longer exists to a large part. as well as government messing in our private lives with mandates and what not all. Additionally there is the specter of the FED. government raising and supplying a private army ( on the QT) to be used against its own citizens, completely separate from the normal armed forces as authorized in the heath care fiasco, nor was it addressed by anything that I saw or heard in the supreme court ruling. Question is WHY?

I have been reading all these doom and gloom posts for the past few days. SHEESH.....
I think Rachel Maddow sums it all up in the following editorial.

"Ohio really did go to President Obama last night, he really did win. He really was born in Hawaii, and he really is, legitimately, president of the United States again. And The Bureau of Labor Statistics did not make up a fake unemployment rate last month. And the Congressional Research Service really can find no evidence that cutting taxes on rich people grows the economy. And the polls were not skewed to oversample Democrats. And Nate Silver was not making up fake projections about the election to make conservatives feel bad. Nate Silver was doing math.
And climate change is real. And rape really does cause pregnancy sometimes. And evolution is a thing! And Benghazi was an attack on us, it was not a scandal by us. And nobody is taking away anyone's guns. And taxes have not gone up. And the deficit is dropping, actually. And Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction. And the moon landing was real. And FEMA is not building concentration camps. And UN election observers are not taking over Texas. And moderate reforms of the regulations on the insurance industry and the financial services industry in this country are not the same thing as communism."

I have been reading all these doom and gloom posts for the past few days. SHEESH.....

"Ohio really did go to President Obama last night, he really did win. He really was born in Hawaii, and he really is, legitimately, president of the United States again. And The Bureau of Labor Statistics did not make up a fake unemployment rate last month. And the Congressional Research Service really can find no evidence that cutting taxes on rich people grows the economy. And the polls were not skewed to oversample Democrats. And Nate Silver was not making up fake projections about the election to make conservatives feel bad. Nate Silver was doing math.
And climate change is real. And rape really does cause pregnancy sometimes. And evolution is a thing! And Benghazi was an attack on us, it was not a scandal by us. And nobody is taking away anyone's guns. And taxes have not gone up. And the deficit is dropping, actually. And Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction. And the moon landing was real. And FEMA is not building concentration camps. And UN election observers are not taking over Texas. And moderate reforms of the regulations on the insurance industry and the financial services industry in this country are not the same thing as communism."
I very much disagree

we have agreed on several items in the past and dissagreed on others.

may i suggest that in 2 or 3 months with the ACTUAL emplyment figures for the past come out...not the ESTIMATES that were published just before the elections,...you reconsider your position.
sorta like gas prices comming down..just before the election....sorta like the requirement to look for work to keep your benefits were dropped by obama...just before the eclection..in time to buy some votes from those the live off the backs of the working people.
you can spout all the bright stuff you want...you cannot change the debt this nation is in....and the spending has not stoped..the hole gets deeper..there is only one end. anyone with a half ounce of intelligence can see...we are bankrupt...we just keep spending and pretending it aint so....
ask the greeks
we maybe big but the facts are the facts.......there is not enough income in the usa to pay off the debt.
buy guns, buy ammo, own food, own water......or move out....
mike in co

not when the in house politician( both parties can do this) buy cheap votes.
gas prices dropped just prior to the elections..the in house party must be right, vote for them...affects the little guy the most...cheap votes.
yomamas rewritting of not have to look for work to keep benefits bought lots of cheap votes.....
the use of news media to favor dems..has been, always will be...media is liberal...
NEVER VOTE FOR AN INCUMBENT...
always replace the current guy..forget parties( they forgot you long ago)
MAYBE once they see there is no golden goose in politics, they will opt for another job and leave PUBLIC SERVICE to those that want to serve thier country.
i'm 64(dec this yr) i have never been so embarassed to be a us citizen.we have gone form being what others want, to what no one wants.
there is no bail out from where we are...just a crash and burn....the later the crash, the bigger the burn.

mike in co

Further, it appears that voting is not gonna be enough.

what most of you have no clue about is the CURRENT 2 party system is used to distract the average voter from the real issue.
vote for your party! its a tribe thing. part of our up brining and natural instincts.

in reality while you are distracted..they are padding thier pockets..both sides....there is no good no bad. its about raping the working class.
there are no REAL issues other than the national debt..all else is bs. wallpaper..distractions from the facts.
as long as you look at things from the PARTY view and not from REALITY....you are part of the problem.

mike in co

I see two political parties. One seems to be against everything I am for. I will support the other one much more than I have in the past. We must do what we can, within the system, to save our way of life for our children.

Bill

bill ,
you are seeing EXCATLY what they want, and responding EXACTLY how they want.
they both do the same thing..spend you into debt.
you , your children and your grandchildren cannot pay off the debt they have us in.
its time to think....the current system does the same thing day in and day out..either party( yes the economy is generaly better with the repub's) but both just spend and spend.
its time to think outside the system.
never vote for an incumbent..replace them all.... every time.
mike in co

I see two political parties. One seems to be against everything I am for. I will support the other one much more than I have in the past. We must do what we can, within the system, to save our way of life for our children.

Bill

Gina, I used to think like you..... I really do hear you, I just no longer agree. :) I'm older now, I've owned a successful business for almost 25yrs and I KNOW now where money comes from and how economics works. I've not been surprised by any administration since Reagan and while you keep saying "nobody's taking your guns" I've evidently got a better memory than you. When I was a kid we weren't ALLOWED by law to buy a brick of 22 shells. We were rationed. And I was working in a gunstore when a man was shot and killed from ambush by our own BATF for "having too many guns"...... I've personally been set up in 3 BATF stings back in the early 80's and have a relative who's dead over a sting operation. Due ONLY to the diligence of gunowners and more importantly the NRA we've rolled back a lot of restrictive laws and managed to avoid the near confiscation of "assault rifles." I doubt that you're familiar with these weapons, I suspect you're even "OK with limiting them," but to this day we're having to deal with "pre-ban" and "post-ban" stuff. WE HAVE had guns taken away and recently Australia and Jollie Olde England TOOK AWAY guns..... and do you have any friends in Canada? If so, ask them how the RCMP has been with guns over the last 20-30yrs...

In colonial times you would have been with the majority of the populace here in fledgling America saying "Just relax, King George will take good care of us" ....You would have thought the rallying cry "Taxation without representation is tyranny!" to be over-the-top wacko reactionism.... you just don't think like an American. We're SUPPOSED to mistrust our government, we're built on the idea. The constitution is written for it and our system of checks and balances is designed to limit the powers of government. And our founding fathers also knew and feared an ignorant populace, read the letter by Washington wherein he talks of this very thing.

Our problem today is a completely ignorant populace, a populace that just wants "more" and doesn't understand how an economy works. And we've got an equally clueless "Commander In Chief" who openly runs on a platform of "growing from the middle out."

That's just stupid!

It's beyond ignorant, it's stupid.

Yet very few recognize the ludicrous folly of that stance.

I believe that the only way the middle class will learn is when, after they've voted their employers out of business, they're starving on the streets looking for "a job." Right now we've a president who thinks working for the government is "a job!"

Unbelievable.... but true.

al

At least someone understands the real world. Time to wake up middle age, middle class, white america. Things ain't what you want them to be in your cocooned world that once was.

Gina, I used to think like you..... I really do hear you, I just no longer agree. :) I'm older now, I've owned a successful business for almost 25yrs and I KNOW now where money comes from and how economics works. I've not been surprised by any administration since Reagan and while you keep saying "nobody's taking your guns" I've evidently got a better memory than you. When I was a kid we weren't ALLOWED by law to buy a brick of 22 shells. We were rationed. And I was working in a gunstore when a man was shot and killed from ambush by our own BATF for "having too many guns"...... I've personally been set up in 3 BATF stings back in the early 80's and have a relative who's dead over a sting operation. Due ONLY to the diligence of gunowners and more importantly the NRA we've rolled back a lot of restrictive laws and managed to avoid the near confiscation of "assault rifles." I doubt that you're familiar with these weapons, I suspect you're even "OK with limiting them," but to this day we're having to deal with "pre-ban" and "post-ban" stuff. WE HAVE had guns taken away and recently Australia and Jollie Olde England TOOK AWAY guns..... and do you have any friends in Canada? If so, ask them how the RCMP has been with guns over the last 20-30yrs...

In colonial times you would have been with the majority of the populace here in fledgling America saying "Just relax, King George will take good care of us" ....You would have thought the rallying cry "Taxation without representation is tyranny!" to be over-the-top wacko reactionism.... you just don't think like an American. We're SUPPOSED to mistrust our government, we're built on the idea. The constitution is written for it and our system of checks and balances is designed to limit the powers of government. And our founding fathers also knew and feared an ignorant populace, read the letter by Washington wherein he talks of this very thing.

Our problem today is a completely ignorant populace, a populace that just wants "more" and doesn't understand how an economy works. And we've got an equally clueless "Commander In Chief" who openly runs on a platform of "growing from the middle out."

That's just stupid!

It's beyond ignorant, it's stupid.

Yet very few recognize the ludicrous folly of that stance.

I believe that the only way the middle class will learn is when, after they've voted their employers out of business, they're starving on the streets looking for "a job." Right now we've a president who thinks working for the government is "a job!"

Unbelievable.... but true.

al

Well said Al

Teco Coal officials announce layoffs (Eastern Kentucky) (90 Employees)
Momentive Inc. plans temporary layoffs for 150
Wilkes-Barre officials to announce mandatory layoffs (300)
600 Layoffs At Groupon
More layoffs announced at Anniston weapons incinerator (50)
Murray Energy confirms 150 layoffs at three subsidiaries
130 laid off in Minn. dairy plant closure
Stanford brake plant to lay off 75
ATI plans to lay off 172 workers in North Richland Hills
SpaceX claims its first victims as Rocketdyne lays off 100
CVPH lays off 17 as part of fiscal belt-tightening
New Energy Lays Off 40 Employees
102 Utah miners laid off because of 'war on coal,' company says
U.S. Cellular drops Chicago, cuts 640 local jobs
Career Education to cut 900 jobs, close 23 campuses (Illinois)
FirstEnergy to cut 400 jobs by 2016, cites lower prices, competition
Vestas to cut 3,000 more jobs
Mine Owner Blames Obama Administration for Layoffs (54 Fired Last Night)
Canceled program costs 115 jobs at Ohio air base
AMD Trims Austin Workforce - 400 Jobs Slashed
100 Workers Lose Jobs As Caterpillar Closes Plant In Owatonna (Minnesota)
Exide to lay off 150 workers
TE Connectivity to close Guilford plant, lay off 620
Cigna to Lay Off 1,300 Workers Worldwide
Ameridose to lay off hundreds of workers

+ Boeing, UTC, Lockheed..............

I wonder how they voted.

• • "We Won!" (Communist Party USA headline/story openly heralds Obama victory)

Last edited:
Don't see it the way you see it, Mike. There are good people who are politicians and there are bad ones. I will support the good ones.
bill ,
you are seeing EXCATLY what they want, and responding EXACTLY how they want.
they both do the same thing..spend you into debt.
you , your children and your grandchildren cannot pay off the debt they have us in.
its time to think....the current system does the same thing day in and day out..either party( yes the economy is generaly better with the repub's) but both just spend and spend.
its time to think outside the system.
never vote for an incumbent..replace them all.... every time.
mike in co

Bill

No politician ever got into politics purely for the true benefit of the common man. It ain't in their nature.

Politics is the best example of the Dilbert principle of management promotion going.

I would love to make a prediction on what is going to happen in the next 4 years. Remember that they are all still together and Oboma is above the law now, he can do no wrong in the eye's of the moochers! He will pass laws no matter what the House the Senate or Congress has to say. Watch for the UN. Treaty first. We will end up like Greece and at the End of his term it will be in such chaos that they will go under MARSHALL LAW and he will be In forever! Just My 20 trillion worth.

Joe Salt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back